Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since it has become known that several of a bank's ' top

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Since it has become known that several of a bank's ' top [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 14:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

33% (03:10) correct 67% (01:41) wrong based on 22 sessions
Since it has become known that several of a bank's ' top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced-impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.
(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.
(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

Other type of this question exists but this is another version. Please explain in a detailed way.Nice explanation will be appreciated with kudos :)) . OA after explanations.

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 8

Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 17:40
perfectstranger wrote:
Since it has become known that several of a bank's ' top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced-impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.
(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.
(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

Other type of this question exists but this is another version. Please explain in a detailed way.Nice explanation will be appreciated with kudos :)) . OA after explanations.

Answer is A. Conclusion is that the rumours are false, first statement stays as a support to the conclusion however the second bold statement questions the support
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 22:31
Either A or B.

The first bold statement suports the intermediate conclusion made by the People that bank is safe. While the second bold statement preceeded by "Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic" contradicts the previous conclusion of the people.

IMO B
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 189 [4] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 23:05
This post received
KUDOS
I also think that the answer should be A. Here's my line of reasoning

Premise 1: several of a bank's ' top executives have been buying shares in their own bank
Sub-conclusion: the bank's depositors have been greatly relieved

Premise 2: top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness
Sub-conclusion: those worrisome rumors must be false

conclusion and MP: Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic
Premise 3 that supports the main conclusion: corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health

IMO the main point is that the reasoning is not good. So what the argument seeks to establish is that the bank's depositors wrongly assumed that several top executives have been buying shares in their own bank because they have faith in the bank's financial soundness

taking a look at the answer choices

A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

This seems to fit with the structure of the passage. The first bold face statement support the conclusion that top executives have been buying shares in their own bank because they have faith in the bank

B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.
The second bold face statement is not a conclusion, so we can rule this one out.

C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion
second is not a conclusion but rather a premise. We can rule out this one as well.

D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

What the argument seeks to explain is that bank's depositors wrongly drew their conclusion and this is not mentioned in the first bold statement.

E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

Same reasoning as in D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 23:48
i go with D.

1st point: Buying of shares >> bank is strong
2nd point: buying of shares >> dispels negative rumors.
Conclusion: Reasoning is overly optimistic.

1st BF: describes a situation in question, with 1st and 2nd point as possible contributing reasons.

2nd BF: is 2nd point (counters 1st point) to support the Conclusion.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 02:56
This post received
KUDOS
OA :
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Manager
Manager

Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 09:31
perfectstranger wrote:
OA :
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

cool
Manager
Manager

Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 09:31
perfectstranger wrote:
OA :
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

good exercise...keep posting
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 10:03
A too...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 22:17
What was the OA on this? Can not see it???
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 23:51
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
I also think that the answer should be A. Here's my line of reasoning

Premise 1: several of a bank's ' top executives have been buying shares in their own bank
Sub-conclusion: the bank's depositors have been greatly relieved

Premise 2: top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness
Sub-conclusion: those worrisome rumors must be false

conclusion and MP: Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic
Premise 3 that supports the main conclusion: corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health

IMO the main point is that the reasoning is not good. So what the argument seeks to establish is that the bank's depositors wrongly assumed that several top executives have been buying shares in their own bank because they have faith in the bank's financial soundness

taking a look at the answer choices

A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

This seems to fit with the structure of the passage. The first bold face statement support the conclusion that top executives have been buying shares in their own bank because they have faith in the bank

B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.
The second bold face statement is not a conclusion, so we can rule this one out.

C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion
second is not a conclusion but rather a premise. We can rule out this one as well.

D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

What the argument seeks to explain is that bank's depositors wrongly drew their conclusion and this is not mentioned in the first bold statement.

E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

Same reasoning as in D.

You cracked it man
and this reflects how you would have gotten a 730 :) :)

WarLocK

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 07:42
A...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: bank's ' top executives- bold cr [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 04:49
I went with A. Good that it's OA :)

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's ' top [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 21:11
I'm sorry but why is the second bold faced not a conclusion?

I picked B because I believe it is a conclusion.

The OG says "the second statement is not offered as a conclusion - no evidence is given for it; rather it is the evidence for something else"

I'm trying to understand the full context of this sentence and am I hold true that for a statement to be a conclusion, there has to be evidence to support it?

I guess looking back at the statement, there is nothing additional that supports it, it is just a statement of fact.

If this is the case, what in bloody hell is the conclusion then?
Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's ' top   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2012, 21:11