Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 244

Premium Member
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 23:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

35% (02:24) correct 64% (01:25) wrong based on 138 sessions
1. Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible, she will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission. Lee has wanted that job for a long time, and Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
B. There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
C. Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
D. Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision
E. The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMATPrep#1 650
GMATPrep#2 710

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 564 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 21:08
This post received
KUDOS
Although I am not very convinced, I do think the best of the lot is A...

Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible goes well with
Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.

I think choice E can be eliminated because of the phrase "almost certainly". If instead it had been just "certainly", E would have definitely been the right answer.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 20:24
Expert's post
Do mention the source please in order to maintain the decorum of the verbal community.
I feel E to be the answer.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 21:24
Expert's post
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 244

Premium Member
Re: Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 00:00
Marcab wrote:
Do mention the source please in order to maintain the decorum of the verbal community.
I feel E to be the answer.

Even I don't remember from where I downloaded this Word copy from internet all I know is that its name is "300 GMAT CR Questions"

GMATPrep#1 650
GMATPrep#2 710

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 65

Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 11:17
targetgmatchotu wrote:
1. Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible, she will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission. Lee has wanted that job for a long time, and Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.

A. Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
B. There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
C. Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
D. Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision
E. The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.

Hey

I do not think that A can be the right answer:-
Its a cause and effect reasoning....
since she pays her debt ASAP so very soon she will appoint lee as the head of commission...She owes a lot to lee for his support.
So when it is stated that she will pay her debt ASAP, It can be agreed upon that she has no longer standing but the debt of Lee i do not think can be compared to longer standing.....There is no piece of evidence presented in support of it
It is stated that she pays her debt ASAP than it can be assumed that she has no long standing debt.....but i mean how can it be said that Lee's debt is longest standing....
i do not agree to OA

E is an assumption because there many ways to pay the debt by giving favor, dollars or a promotion etc.. but since she chooses the appointment method only leaves a gap as to why she choosing only the said method.

Ther can be many assumptions drawn:
1. she repays as per person's desire.. or we can say she endeavors to repay as per the desire of presons.
But no way we can assume that Lee's debt is the debt which is longest standing in terms of time.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 21:12
Archit143 wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Hey

I do not think that A can be the right answer:-
Its a cause and effect reasoning....
since she pays her debt ASAP so very soon she will appoint lee as the head of commission...She owes a lot to lee for his support.
So when it is stated that she will pay her debt ASAP, It can be agreed upon that she has no longer standing but the debt of Lee i do not think can be compared to longer standing.....There is no piece of evidence presented in support of it
It is stated that she pays her debt ASAP than it can be assumed that she has no long standing debt.....but i mean how can it be said that Lee's debt is longest standing....
i do not agree to OA

E is an assumption because there many ways to pay the debt by giving favor, dollars or a promotion etc.. but since she chooses the appointment method only leaves a gap as to why she choosing only the said method.

Ther can be many assumptions drawn:
1. she repays as per person's desire.. or we can say she endeavors to repay as per the desire of presons.
But no way we can assume that Lee's debt is the debt which is longest standing in terms of time.

Since A & E are the ones causing confusion lets apply LEN to both and see which one comes out on top.

A. Mayor Drabble might have some political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.

Now, we know tat Mayor Drabble likes to repay her debts "AS SOON AS POSSIBLE". If there were some political debt that is longer standing than the one to LEE, then Mayor Drabble would like to settle that debt before dealing with the debt with Lee because the previous debt would have been pending for a longer time. So this negation clearly kills the conclusion.

E. There may be some other way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee other than appointing him to head the arts commission.

Very competitive. The argument only says "almost certainly". So there is a very tiny bit of uncertainity in the argument itself.

If I were the author of the statement, I could still argue saying something like : I only said almost certainly. I do acknowledge that there is a slight chance of this not happening. But I would not be able to do the same in the case of "A". Because according to A the conclusion is definitely not possible.

I think the below diagram would be able to shed some light.
Attachments

a.JPG
a.JPG [ 8.27 KiB | Viewed 1154 times ]

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2012, 21:12