Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 313
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 20

Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 03:08
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (02:43) correct 53% (01:26) wrong based on 207 sessions
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible, she will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission. Lee has wanted that job for a long time, and Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
(B) There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
(C) Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
(D) Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision.
(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.

Between A and E. Please exlpain ur ans.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 150
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [3] , given: 3

Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 03:19
3
This post received
KUDOS
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Between A and E. Please exlpain ur ans.


negate A - Mayor Drabble has political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission - weakens

negate E - There are many ways that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission. - how does this affect conclusion??

A is obvious
_________________

consider cudos if you like my post

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4688
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4854 [3] , given: 163

Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 20:38
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible, she will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission. Lee has wanted that job for a long time, and Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
(B) There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
(C) Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
(D) Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision.
(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.

Between A and E. Please exlpain ur ans.


Certainly tricky!

Let's understand the argument first:
Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible.
Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.
Lee has wanted head of arts commission job for a long time.

Conclusion: She will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission.

We need to find the assumption i.e. a missing necessary premise.

(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
Drabble owes Lee and Lee wants this job so we are concluding that Drabble will give Lee this job. We are assuming that Drabble doesn't owe someone else for longer (since she repays as soon as possible, she will repay the other guy first) who also wants this job. If there is such a person, Drabble will probaly give him the position rather than Lee. Hence option (A) is a missing necessary premise.

(B) There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
This is not an assumption. Drabble could owe to many othersbut they may not want this position. This is not a necessary condition for the conclusion to hold.

(C) Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
Again, not necessary. Perhaps there is another guy whom Drabble owes but his debt may not be as great or of longer standing than Lee. There could be another person whom Drabble owes and who would be willing to accept this appointment but Drabble may still choose to appoint Lee. So negating (C) does not break apart our conclusion.

(D) Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision.
Out of scope. We are not discussing qualifications. Even if qualification is relevant, Lee may be qualified.

(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.
This is a trick option. Almost certainly, when you read it, you will be taken aback and will consider this option too. But understand that this is a sufficient condition for conclusion, not necessary. An assumption is a necessary condition. If this is true, Lee will appoint Drabble. If this is not true, the conclusion does not fall apart - it may still hold. There may be other ways to repay Lee but Drabble may still make him the head of arts because he wants it. Hence, this is not our assumption.

Answer (A)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 392 [2] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 04:02
2
This post received
KUDOS
E is more interesting than I thought. E is a trap but the keyword "only" and "adequately repay" almost uncloaks it ! I'm sure the reporter is not concerned whether the mayor can repay her debt "adequately". E is either out of scope / irrelevant.

And E does not strengthens the argument - mayor's integrity can be questioned by the reporter himself who wrote this argument. The political reporter is not questioning the integrity of the Mayor but he wants to strengthen it.

"Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible". The premise means that if NO other debt is longstanding she will be obliged to pay her debt at the FIRST available opportunity
A is correct.

suitably / adequately are the keywords one should be wary.
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 194
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 12:32
for me its E ............Lee has wanted that job ......Is it the only way .......?
Its most probable ........but what if she can't by obligations.......What if he might be satisfied by something else?

A is good but it comes second to me when compared to E ..........
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 194
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 12:32
This question is already there .....
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 471
Location: India
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 03:07
Pretty simple
_________________

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Posts: 138
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 03:18
Well i dont think its simple....:D

k i will go for E.

but tone of E is not congruent to that of the premise .

A ...................:D
_________________

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 143
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 05:14
+1 for A
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Schools: Ohio State University
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 20:01
nusmavrik wrote:
E is more interesting than I thought. E is a trap but the keyword "only" and "adequately repay" almost uncloaks it ! I'm sure the reporter is not concerned whether the mayor can repay her debt "adequately". E is either out of scope / irrelevant.

And E does not strengthens the argument - mayor's integrity can be questioned by the reporter himself who wrote this argument. The political reporter is not questioning the integrity of the Mayor but he wants to strengthen it.

"Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible". The premise means that if NO other debt is longstanding she will be obliged to pay her debt at the FIRST available opportunity
A is correct.

suitably / adequately are the keywords one should be wary.

good point for the premise "...as soon as possible"!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 17
Location: United States (TX)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Design (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 20:56
why is C wrong
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 22:45
I am still confused between option A and E because,

(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
This option says ' As there is no other debt which stands longer than the one she owes to Lee, she will appoint him as the new head of the arts commission.'
This will strengthen the premise ‘Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible’ instead of strengthening the conclusion.

(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.
The 'only way' here explains why he will be the new head of the arts commission and directly strengthens the conclusion.
So option E must be more feasible than A.
VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1365
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 01:09
between A and E, negating A clearly crashes the conclusion.
However, negating E leaves other assumptions as there might be some ways to justify the cause.

hence A is cleaner.
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Applying for 2012 B school admissions
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 131
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: Since Mayor Drabble [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 01:37
+1 A

Got this one wrong, chose E, my concentration is seriously wavering.

Explanation is as provided by tryingharder.
_________________

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 04:36
I disagree with A, c is the only option that works here

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 307
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 21:29
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible, she will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission. Lee has wanted that job for a long time, and Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
(B) There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
(C) Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
(D) Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision.
(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.

Between A and E. Please exlpain ur ans.


Certainly tricky
Let's understand the argument first:
Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible.
Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.
Lee has wanted head of arts commission job for a long time.

Conclusion: She will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission.

We need to find the assumption i.e. a missing necessary premise.

(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
Drabble owes Lee and Lee wants this job so we are concluding that Drabble will give Lee this job. We are assuming that Drabble doesn't owe someone else for longer (since she repays as soon as possible, she will repay the other guy first) who also wants this job. If there is such a person, Drabble will probaly give him the position rather than Lee. Hence option (A) is a missing necessary premise.

(B) There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
This is not an assumption. Drabble could owe to many othersbut they may not want this position. This is not a necessary condition for the conclusion to hold.

(C) Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
Again, not necessary. Perhaps there is another guy whom Drabble owes but his debt may not be as great or of longer standing than Lee. There could be another person whom Drabble owes and who would be willing to accept this appointment but Drabble may still choose to appoint Lee. So negating (C) does not break apart our conclusion.

(D) Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision.
Out of scope. We are not discussing qualifications. Even if qualification is relevant, Lee may be qualified.

(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.
This is a trick option. Almost certainly, when you read it, you will be taken aback and will consider this option too. But understand that this is a sufficient condition for conclusion, not necessary. An assumption is a necessary condition. If this is true, Lee will appoint Drabble. If this is not true, the conclusion does not fall apart - it may still hold. There may be other ways to repay Lee but Drabble may still make him the head of arts because he wants it. Hence, this is not our assumption.

Answer (A)

Hi
It was a difficult question for me.First i picked e your later has cleared my point of view.thanks karishma
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 06:20
mun23 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible, she will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission. Lee has wanted that job for a long time, and Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
(B) There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
(C) Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
(D) Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision.
(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.

Between A and E. Please exlpain ur ans.


Certainly tricky
Let's understand the argument first:
Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible.
Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.
Lee has wanted head of arts commission job for a long time.

Conclusion: She will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission.

We need to find the assumption i.e. a missing necessary premise.

(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
Drabble owes Lee and Lee wants this job so we are concluding that Drabble will give Lee this job. We are assuming that Drabble doesn't owe someone else for longer (since she repays as soon as possible, she will repay the other guy first) who also wants this job. If there is such a person, Drabble will probaly give him the position rather than Lee. Hence option (A) is a missing necessary premise.

(B) There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
This is not an assumption. Drabble could owe to many othersbut they may not want this position. This is not a necessary condition for the conclusion to hold.

(C) Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
Again, not necessary. Perhaps there is another guy whom Drabble owes but his debt may not be as great or of longer standing than Lee. There could be another person whom Drabble owes and who would be willing to accept this appointment but Drabble may still choose to appoint Lee. So negating (C) does not break apart our conclusion.

(D) Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision.
Out of scope. We are not discussing qualifications. Even if qualification is relevant, Lee may be qualified.

(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.
This is a trick option. Almost certainly, when you read it, you will be taken aback and will consider this option too. But understand that this is a sufficient condition for conclusion, not necessary. An assumption is a necessary condition. If this is true, Lee will appoint Drabble. If this is not true, the conclusion does not fall apart - it may still hold. There may be other ways to repay Lee but Drabble may still make him the head of arts because he wants it. Hence, this is not our assumption.

Answer (A)

Hi
It was a difficult question for me.First i picked e your later has cleared my point of view.thanks karishma



Guys, I feel odd that I neither got A nor E. Though I will try to put my point forward:
I miss the point with A - Since the Mayor repays her debt as soon as possible, does not mean that the political debt she owes to Lee needs to be clearerd first? Secondly,
Mayor Drabble has no political debt of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee may not be true, what if she owes to someone in another industry as well which she may be able to appoint too. She may need to clear political debts to many people at the same time asap. E is not right either, I would probably go with D.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 58
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Fisher '16 (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 22:17
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible, she will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission. Lee has wanted that job for a long time, and Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
(B) There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
(C) Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
(D) Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision.
(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.

Between A and E. Please exlpain ur ans.


Guys,
I believe the key here is "AS SOON AS" Possible. If you get that then this is a cake walk.
"Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible"
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 313
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 66

Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 11:47
Expert's post
vigneshceg wrote:
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible, she will almost certainly appoint Lee to be the new head of the arts commission. Lee has wanted that job for a long time, and Drabble owes Lee a lot for his support in the last election.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Mayor Drabble has no political debt that is both of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee and could as suitably be repaid by an appointment to be the new head of the arts commission.
(B) There is no one to whom Mayor Drabble owes a greater political debt for support in the last election than the political debt she owes to Lee.
(C) Lee is the only person to whom Mayor Drabble owes a political debt who would be willing to accept an appointment from her as the new head of the arts commission.
(D) Whether Lee is qualified to head the arts commission is irrelevant to Mayor Drabble’s decision.
(E) The only way that Mayor Drabble can adequately repay her political debt to Lee is by appointing him to head the arts commission.

Between A and E. Please exlpain ur ans.


Guys,
I believe the key here is "AS SOON AS" Possible. If you get that then this is a cake walk.
"Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as soon as possible"


Nicely put, vigneshceg. So much of critical reasoning is picking up on the key words used in the stimulus. If you can get the right answer by fishing out the correct wording, you get the answer quickly and you feel confident about your answer, two key elements for GMAT success!

Thanks!
-Ron
_________________

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4688
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4854 [0], given: 163

Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 03:32
Expert's post
insanejuxtapose wrote:

Guys, I feel odd that I neither got A nor E. Though I will try to put my point forward:
I miss the point with A - Since the Mayor repays her debt as soon as possible, does not mean that the political debt she owes to Lee needs to be clearerd first? Secondly,
Mayor Drabble has no political debt of longer standing than the one she owes to Lee may not be true, what if she owes to someone in another industry as well which she may be able to appoint too. She may need to clear political debts to many people at the same time asap. E is not right either, I would probably go with D.


Since the Mayor repays her debt as soon as possible, she must repay the debt to the one she owes first i.e. she must repay the oldest debt first, as soon as possible.

Also, we don't have to find the inference/conclusion in the question. We have to find the assumption i.e. what has been assumed by the author to arrive at the conclusion. It may or may not actually be true. We just have to find that which the author has ASSUMED to be true.
You might want to go through some theory of assumption questions to get a clearer understanding.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2013, 03:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as TGC 6 09 Dec 2012, 23:57
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as noboru 22 05 Jun 2010, 06:56
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as sondenso 8 18 May 2009, 23:08
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as vineetgupta 2 04 Apr 2007, 09:34
Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as WinWinMBA 7 15 Jun 2005, 13:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Since Mayor Drabble always repays her political debts as

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.