Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 08:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 12

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 01:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

39% (01:58) correct 61% (03:12) wrong based on 225 sessions
Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless
wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not
become turbulent.
(A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
(B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped
(C) wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect
(D) wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner
(E) wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and perfectly so

could anyone tell me if this question could appear on the real GMAT ? I doubt wether this sentence is accurate.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 351 [2] , given: 13

Re: GMAT question ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
whichscore wrote:
Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless
wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not
become turbulent.

could anyone tell me if this question could appear on the real GMAT ? I doubt wether this sentence is accurate.

Got it wrong in first go!

only B & C are compelling options!
this question is checking concept of "resumptive modifiers", which demands repartition of word "wings"
Also, option C could have been right provided we had perfectly; only adverbs can modify verb (verb = shaped). perfect is adjective. Further, "shaped smoothly" would have been wrong. you can shape perfectly, but not smoothly. In B this is corrected; wings so smooth (adjective) and perfectly (adverb) shaped
. . so answer is B

Now, What are RESUMPTIVE MODIFIERS;read below

By adding modifying phrases to the end of a sentence, a writer can take the reader in new, sometimes unexpected directions. A resumptive modifier picks up a word or phrase from a sentence that seems to be finished and then adds information and takes the reader into new territory of thought. Because resumptive modifiers are, by nature, repetitive, they tend also to add a sense of rhythm to a sentence.

Example: The Swiss watchmakers' failure to capitalize on the invention of the digital timepiece was both astonishing and alarmingastonishing in that the Swiss had, since the beginnings of the industrial revolution in Europe, been among the first to capitalize on technical innovations, alarming in that a tremendous industrial potential had been lost to their chief competitors, the watchmakers of Japan.

for TWO MORE EXAMPLES of this type of question, search following questions in forum
"Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species . . . "
"In a crowded, acquisitive world, the disapperance of lifestyles such as those once . . ."

Target760

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern MBA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT question ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 16:53
Answer is (B).

(C): Adverbs are typically "-ly", so anything that looks like "shaped so smooth" is incorrect. Eliminated.

(A), (D): The sentence must make clear what was shaped, the planes or the wings. Choices A and D leave this ambiguous, which you know daddy GMAC would never allow. Eliminated.

(B) vs (E): Both are grammatically correct, however, (B) is the better choice since (E) uses a passive voice ("having been"). Also, there is a standard construction "so x, and so y, that z", which (B) employs.

[highlight]--
MBA Gambit: http://www.mbagambit.com
NYC GMAT Tutoring and MBA Application Consulting[/highlight]
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT question ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 17:43
i picked C. Between B and C, isn't wings is redundant?
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern MBA

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT question ? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 20:23
brandy,

(C) cannot be correct since it says "shaped so smooth" instead of "shaped so smoothly".

A smooth [noun]. (as an adjective)
To [verb] smoothly. (as an adverb)
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT question ? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 12:11
'shaped so smoothly' does not sound logical. a shape can be perfect or artistic. a surface can be smooth, but IMO a shape can't be smooth.

so, the problem with A is that it isn't logically structured.

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 22:35
A n D (past participles) wrongly modifies the aircraft manufacturers so incorrect
E redundancy error
out of B n C
in C Relative clause + relative clause is occurring (with THAT)
so B is the winner.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 33

Re: Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 23:49
Can somebody put more light on the expalnation? Did not get it?

Thanks

WHAT I BELIEVE, I BECOME

WE GET ONLY ONE CHANCE AT LIFE AND I WILL NOT RUIN IT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 291

Re: Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 18:47
Why not, this seems quite an apt SC question. Once again, the GMAT isn't 'always' about the logic, sometimes it can also be about the less error prone. Experts, am I right or not?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1199 [1] , given: 119

Premium Member
Re: Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
Why not, this seems quite an apt SC question. Once again, the GMAT isn't 'always' about the logic, sometimes it can also be about the less error prone. Experts, am I right or not?

Hi mohnish

I'm glad to help.

Some basic grammar backgrounds
1. VERB-ed modifier + comma ==> Always modifies a preceding clause.
2. Noun + Noun modifier ==> Can modify preceding noun, any noun in the preceding clause or preceding clause.
3. Idiom: so X that Y

Back to the question.

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.

Wrong. Verb-ed modifer "shaped" + comma ==> modifies preceding clause ==> it's like aircraft manufactures are shaped.... ==> Wrong.

Correct. "wings" is NOT redundant at all. This is "noun + noun modifier" ==> Modifies preceding noun "wings" very clearly.

Wrong. "smooth" and perfect" are ADJECTIVE. But we need adverbs here ==? shaped smoothly and perfectly.

Wrong. Same error as in A.

Wrong. the usage of "so that" = in order to. But it's not the case here.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 187

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 12:47
Quote:
A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
Wrong. Verb-ed modifer "shaped" + comma ==> modifies preceding clause ==> it's like aircraft manufactures are shaped.... ==> Wrong.

As per e-gmat, noun +comma+ ed modifier modifies preceding noun and here ed modifier is modifying wings not the entire clause or subject.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2014, 12:47