Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2003
Posts: 1613
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2003, 01:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.

(A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
(B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped
(C) wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect
(D) wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner
(E) wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and perfectly so
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2003
Posts: 1613
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2003, 03:03
B is OK. BTW, whether it is a rule to put SO every time you modify an adjective? For example: My new car is SO powerful, SO luxurious, and SO unusual, that all people envy me.

Can I simply say: My new car is SO powerful, luxurious, and unusual, that all people envy me.

Which one is correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 334
Location: Uruguay
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2003, 20:54
:shock: how can this be ok: " ...wings, wings ..." ?? I thought nouns couldn't be repeated even when separated by a comma...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2003
Posts: 142
Location: Hockeytown
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2003, 22:46
stolyar wrote:
B is OK. BTW, whether it is a rule to put SO every time you modify an adjective? For example: My new car is SO powerful, SO luxurious, and SO unusual, that all people envy me.

Can I simply say: My new car is SO powerful, luxurious, and unusual, that all people envy me.

Which one is correct?


Both are correct - the first version would be written for emphasis, so that the reader knew to place a great deal of importance on each feature.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2003
Posts: 142
Location: Hockeytown
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2003, 22:47
MartinMag wrote:
:shock: how can this be ok: " ...wings, wings ..." ?? I thought nouns couldn't be repeated even when separated by a comma...


This is silliness. Kind of like a Kaplan question.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2003
Posts: 149
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2003, 07:38
MartinMag wrote:
:shock: how can this be ok: " ...wings, wings ..." ?? I thought nouns couldn't be repeated even when separated by a comma...


The idea here is not nouns repeating, but the fact the all option except B wrongly use the word "shape" to modify the word "smooth". Wings can be perfectly shaped and not "shaped smoothly" or "shaped smooth", etc.

So, the clarity is reflectd in optiob "B", which says wings are smooth and perfectly shaped.

"So" is added for emphasis before them.
GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 771
Location: New York NY 10024
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 03:09
Hi!

The reason for the repeated "wings" is to make it unambiguous that the rest of the sentence refered to wings, not the airplane as a whole.
_________________

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 08:19
Yes, wings needs to be repeated for clarification.

(B)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 09:20
yup. B it is.

we need an adjective to modify noun wings and an adverb perfectly to modify verb shaped.
_________________

hey ya......

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2006, 02:44
evensflow wrote:
MartinMag wrote:
:shock: how can this be ok: " ...wings, wings ..." ?? I thought nouns couldn't be repeated even when separated by a comma...


The idea here is not nouns repeating, but the fact the all option except B wrongly use the word "shape" to modify the word "smooth". Wings can be perfectly shaped and not "shaped smoothly" or "shaped smooth", etc.

So, the clarity is reflectd in optiob "B", which says wings are smooth and perfectly shaped.

"So" is added for emphasis before them.


It is B

I dont agree with the above explanation :

smoothly and perfectly are adverbs that can modify SHAPED
In B : Smooth is modifying Wings ( Nound) and perfectly is modyfing Shaped
In C : smooth and perfect have to used as adverbs to modify shaped : i.e shoothly and perfectly
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2006, 18:49
I can't tell how you can shape a wing smoothly. It should be shaped perfectly.

A,C - out. lumps 'smoothly and perfectly' together
D - awkward
E - lengthy and awkward

B is best.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2006, 23:46
ywilfred wrote:
I can't tell how you can shape a wing smoothly. It should be shaped perfectly.

A,C - out. lumps 'smoothly and perfectly' together
D - awkward
E - lengthy and awkward

B is best.


Just as perfectly modifies Shaped, so does Smoothly
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 11:46
avomc wrote:
evensflow wrote:
MartinMag wrote:
:shock: how can this be ok: " ...wings, wings ..." ?? I thought nouns couldn't be repeated even when separated by a comma...


The idea here is not nouns repeating, but the fact the all option except B wrongly use the word "shape" to modify the word "smooth". Wings can be perfectly shaped and not "shaped smoothly" or "shaped smooth", etc.

So, the clarity is reflectd in optiob "B", which says wings are smooth and perfectly shaped.

"So" is added for emphasis before them.


It is B

I dont agree with the above explanation :

smoothly and perfectly are adverbs that can modify SHAPED
In B : Smooth is modifying Wings ( Nound) and perfectly is modyfing Shaped
In C : smooth and perfect have to used as adverbs to modify shaped : i.e shoothly and perfectly


excellent analysis. adverbs modifiy adjectives and adjectives modify nouns. adjectives cannot modify adjectives.

why is D wrong?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 652
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 6

 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 12:39
This is a nice problem of Summative modifier. Author initially states about airplanes and wings, and immediately he tried to modify wings ( so smooth and so perfectly shaped ) and NOT airplanes. So summative modifier is suitable here.

Only B and E maintains the correct usage of summative modifier. But E lacks construction error, whereas B maintains smooth So X that Y construction too.

So It's B.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 179
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 02:14
My answer is B


wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 447
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:WINGS [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 04:15
stolyar wrote:
Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.

(A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
(B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped
(C) wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect
(D) wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner
(E) wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and perfectly so


Doesn't (B) change the meaning of the original sentnce?
In original: "wings are shaped smoothLY and perfectly
In (B): wings are smooth and perfectly shaped
Re: SC:WINGS   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2007, 04:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build student26 8 30 Oct 2010, 21:14
Since the 1930s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build Natia 4 30 Jul 2009, 04:32
Since the 1930s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build rpmodi 12 23 Jun 2008, 16:05
1 Since the 1930s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build beckee529 4 21 Jul 2007, 12:56
1 Since the 1930s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build b14kumar 12 05 Jun 2006, 08:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.