Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 09:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

63% (02:29) correct 38% (01:26) wrong based on 54 sessions
Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propeller planes as the preferred method of transportation within the island nation of Kawaii. Jets are quieter and more comfortable for passengers, and can fly faster and higher. The fuel efficiency of jets has steadily improved as much as 70% since the 1950s, and travel at cruising altitude is especially efficient, as motion relies mainly on aerodynamics. However, turboprop planes are now enjoying resurgence in Kawaii, replacing jets for short trips between the islands.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain why turboprop planes are enjoying resurgence in Kawaii?
(A) Because trips within Kawaii are relatively short, planes spend little time at cruising altitude.
(B) As jets have become more popular, their increased price has erased the financial advantages of their fuel efficiency.
(C) Turboprop planes have also enjoyed resurgence in other island nations, especially those with extreme climates.
(D) Many of the independent airlines that once served Kawaii have been purchased by larger multinational airlines.
(E) Due to Kawaii's remote location, jet fuel is more expensive there than in most other parts of the world.

Now CR is killing me.

My take (A). Short trips =>little time at cruising altitudes => Efficiency of JETS as mentioned is not a major factor now => TP are Enjoying hence

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 56

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 09:57
Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propeller planes as the preferred method of transportation within the island nation of Kawaii. Jets are quieter and more comfortable for passengers, and can fly faster and higher. The fuel efficiency of jets has steadily improved as much as 70% since the 1950s, and travel at cruising altitude is especially efficient, as motion relies mainly on aerodynamics. However, turboprop planes are now enjoying resurgence in Kawaii, replacing jets for short trips between the islands.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain why turboprop planes are enjoying resurgence in Kawaii?

(A) Because trips within Kawaii are relatively short, planes spend little time at cruising altitude.-- Cruising altitude info not been compared in the context.......
(B) As jets have become more popular, their increased price has erased the financial advantages of their fuel efficiency. - Price is major factor in Kawaii so as to gain popularity in Turbo Plane--- Correct
(C) Turboprop planes have also enjoyed resurgence in other island nations, especially those with extreme climates. Other Island nation not been discussed in this stimuli
(D) Many of the independent airlines that once served Kawaii have been purchased by larger multinational airlines. -Out of scope
(E) Due to Kawaii's remote location, jet fuel is more expensive there than in most other parts of the world.-Other part of world is not the point of discussion

Please do correct me..

Rgds
Prasannajeet
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 622 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 10:19
Expert's post
Perhaps my brain is nor working, but I would like to know how B helps in the resurgence of the other species.
If two genres become equal, does it means that we prefer one over the other?
Moreover what is wrong with E. IMO it seems fine.
What is the OA?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 289

Kudos [?]: 2433 [1] , given: 693

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Perhaps my brain is nor working, but I would like to know how B helps in the resurgence of the other species.
If two genres become equal, does it means that we prefer one over the other?
Moreover what is wrong with E. IMO it seems fine.
What is the OA?

E is incorrect because says that jets are more cheap in the rest of the world AND talks about the distance of the islands for example froma continent. Infact it says: Due to Kawaii's remote location but this doesn't explain why the resurgence of the old plane.

B infact relates these facts and says us why is better to use the old planes instead of the new one: just because now are not so cheap as before (or sometime ago)

B must be the answer

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 12:11
@Marcab

OA is (B) indeed.

Plz advice

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 19:29
Expert's post
One piece of doubt.
Just because two teams are on level playing field, doesn't guarantees one team's victory. We can't really be sure about a particular team.
B says that there is no more financial advantage for jets. This only levels the field. How can one be so sure of the success of turboprop planes.

For E, the new piece of information is being added that addresses talks about Kawaii island for particular and states that jet fuel in Kawaii island is more expensive than other parts of the world. This IMO provides a solid reason for the resurgence of Turboprop planes in Kawaii.

Let me know where I am missing.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 19:50
Expert's post
@Saurabh-
I too got it wrong.
It shall be great if you please post the OE.

Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 105

CAT Tests
Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 20:04
I agree with marcab. Don't know what's wrong with E. It perfectly resolves the paradox
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2433 [0], given: 693

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 20:09
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
@Saurabh-
I too got it wrong.
It shall be great if you please post the OE.

this is a question where the source above says LSAT but I find it only on gmathack by jeff sackman

Unfortunately at the moment the website is off line (weird) and even with webchache, googlecache and so on is impossible to reach

B, anyway, is the clear answer. I do not know why you make such assumptions about E

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2433 [0], given: 693

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 20:18
Expert's post
mahendru1992 wrote:
I agree with marcab. Don't know what's wrong with E. It perfectly resolves the paradox

But from the stimulus we know that the plane in use is within the island NOT between the island and other countries or lands or anything else.

If the advantage of the jets is eroded by the increase in price i.e. is not so convenient to push a resurgence of the old one, we have a perfect scenario. B perfectly fits the bill.

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 00:14
Expert's post
@carcass...
I don't feel B resolves any paradox.
Does it tells us the reason why there is a resurgence of TurboProp in Kawaii? As per the paradox questions, the correct answer must support both the sides.
As per the stimulus:
i)Jets have steadily replaced smaller propeller planes as the preferred method of transportation within the island nation of Kawaii.
Then the stimulus talks about the advantages of Jets: Such as:-
a)Jets are quieter and more comfortable for passengers,
b)Jets can fly faster and higher.
c)The fuel efficiency of jets has steadily improved as much as 70% since the 1950s,
d)Jets travelling at cruising altitude is especially efficient, as motion relies mainly on aerodynamics.

Then the author counters by saying that even though Jets have so many advantages, turboprop planes are now enjoying resurgence in Kawaii, replacing jets for short trips between the islands.

Now we must find an evidence that can counter one of the advantages of the Jets. E says that in Kawaii, the Jet fuel is costlier. If Jet fuel is costlier, then the efficiency may not be that high as compared to other regions.

In B, there is elimination of just one advantage of Jets, but there are still so many advantages as listed above. Then how does B explains the resurgence?
Regards.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 00:21
Expert's post
Moreover I searched for this question on LSAT forums but was not successful. So I urge the poster of the question to post the link in order to verify the source of the question.
Thanks in advance.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2433 [1] , given: 693

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 02:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
OE

This is an explanation question. The passage describes the various benefits of jets--their fuel efficiency, comfort, and ability to fly higher and faster than smaller planes--but then notes that turboprop planes are enjoying a resurgence. We're looking for a choice that resolves the apparent paradox.

(A) This choice addresses one of the benefits of jet travel, but it doesn't suggest why turboprop planes have overtaken jets despite the other clear advantages.
(B) This is correct. While it acknowledges the benefits of jet travel, it relates their very popularity with an increasing price that makes other alternatives more attractive.
(C) This is a common form of incorrect choice. Just because the same phenomenon is observed elsewhere does not explain why it is occurring as described in the passage.
(D) This is off-topic. It doesn't matter who owns the planes. We're looking for a choice that explains why jets are losing popularity despite several benefits.
(E) This choice suggests one cost of travel by jet, but it doesn't suggest that turboprop planes escape the same fate, nor does it confirm that the increase in cost is enough to offset the benefits of jet operation and travel.

The sourse: is valuable, without doubt

http://www.gmatdaily.com/20091103-gmat- ... e-day.html

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 265 [1] , given: 67

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller propell [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
@ Marcab
I also think E cannot be the answer,
We do not know for sure which kind of fuel does the Turboprop uses.......If it uses the same jet fuel, than for sure its not an advantage...
we need to use some evidence that we know for sure from the passage......Availability of jet fuel is not at all in question......If it would have been, In first place it would have not been considered for replacement to the older planes.
No company will replace their existing product with another , If it costs more than the previous. Same logic is used to substantiate B.
Difference between B and E is
B presents the reason that explains price factor only after the jet planes have become popular i.e earlier their costs were lower .Its only after jet plane becoming popular the price has gone high.

On the other hand, E Considers something if that existed it should not have been considered to replace.

Hope that helps!!!!!

Consider Kudos If my post helped!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 05:07
+1 for A. Because, it seems to bring in all premises.

Stated:
Since 1950's Jets have become quieter, more comfortable, faster and fly higher. FE as much as 70% (Probably stated to say it takes a LOT to negate this benefit).
Travel @ cruising altitude is especially efficient.

What if the improvements since 1950's were fine but, not actually applicable in Kawai islands case because, the trips are shorter (so passengers don't care about comfortable). Trips are shorter, so, they hardly even fly at cruising speed.

Alternatively, What if Jets can take more passengers (50-100) and turbo planes take 10-15 passengers, so, there is not more than 10 passengers per flight, so, the companies feel it is rather economic to deploy turbo planes instead of using jets almost empty. [ Nonetheless, I did not see any answers related to this]

(A) Because trips within Kawaii are relatively short, planes spend little time at cruising altitude.

This answer seems to state the same point

(B) As jets have become more popular, their increased price has erased the financial advantages of their fuel efficiency. => We've not been told of any supply/demand equation or how much is more popular and increased price? are they huge enough to negate 70% fuel efficiency. It is stretching.

(C) Turboprop planes have also enjoyed resurgence in other island nations, especially those with extreme climates.
Out of scope
(D) Many of the independent airlines that once served Kawaii have been purchased by larger multinational airlines.
No way related to the topic
(E) Due to Kawaii's remote location, jet fuel is more expensive there than in most other parts of the world.
That would have been the case always. Kawai would have not gone far away in decades. Also, we've been told 70% fuel efficiency is achieved, so, this actually doesn't resolve the paradox.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 12:21
BforBala,

The key word for this CR question is "within". Jets have replaced turbo props in Kawaii for quite some time now despite flying to destinations within Kawaii. So, the whole short distance-low cruising altitude idea doesn't work. The only other plausible condition for the paradox to be resolved is B.
Re: Since the 1950s, jets have steadily replaced smaller   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2013, 12:21