Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since the 55-mile-per-hour speed limit was mandated on our

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 2: 55 mile per hour [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2009, 14:48
scthakur wrote:
Since the 55-mile-per-hour speed limit was mandated on our highways, both money and human lives have been saved.
All of the following, if true, would strengthen the claim above EXCEPT:
(A) Most highway users find that travel times are not appreciably lengthened by the 55-mile-per-hour speed limit.
(B) Highway driving at 55 miles per hour or less is more fuel-efficient than high-speed driving.
(C) Nearly all highway safety experts agree that more accidents occur at speeds over 55 miles per hour than at lower speeds.
(D) The percentage of fatalities occurring in highway accidents at speeds greater than 55 miles per hour is higher than that for low-speed accidents.
(E) Automobiles last longer and require fewer repairs when driven at consistently lower speeds.

My answer is A).
We need to find answer which directly does not save money or people....and A) is the only answer which does that....few people argue that time ends up in money which is too much assumption.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 2: 55 mile per hour [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2009, 11:49
GMAT TIGER wrote:

Thats a fact. more time you drive, more you spend on gas and your time. Also more time driving is risk to your life as well.

Therefore, I am also leaning to E too.

gmattiger,you cannot assume all this stuff. its critical reasoning and nothing is mentioned here about gas, ans relation of time and risk.....
So E is the best answer.
Please lemme know if u need further explanation..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 0

Re: CR 2: 55 mile per hour [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 06:47
What is the source of this question? There's a good argument for saying that ALL the choices strengthen the argument. (E) strengthens it very clearly: If cars last longer and require fewer repairs because of driving more slowly, then driving more slowly saves money. If fewer accidents occur (which is C, sort of), then driving more slowly saves lives.

I think the ultimate reason why (A) is the official answer is that (A) does not support the conclusion that money is SAVED; it only supports the conclusion that people don't spend MORE. I've seen this pattern before on a few questions.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 2: 55 mile per hour [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 07:06
B,E money saved
D,C lives saved
A is the correct ans
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Re: CR 2: 55 mile per hour [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 17:54
bigfernhead wrote:
I actually chose C on this one.

My reasoning is as such:

Even though highway safety experts agree that more accidents occur at higher speeds, how does this contribute to saving money and saving lives?

The action of highway experts just "AGREEING" does not mean it will save money or save lives.

Can someone explain whether my reasoning makes sense?

Even I chose C for this reason but not sure how OA is A?

One question: how reliable are GMAT CR tests in 1000 CR document. I have completely messed up Test D (test which contains this question) and feel that most questions are highly debatable.
Re: CR 2: 55 mile per hour   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2011, 17:54