Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 09:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (02:18) correct 27% (01:30) wrong based on 302 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition
Practice Question
Question No.: 16
Page: 121
Difficulty:

Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's increasingly busy airports have increased by 25 percent. To combat this problem, more of the takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports must be allocated to commercial airlines.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the effectiveness of the solution proposed above?

(A) The major causes of delays at the nation's busiest airports are bad weather and overtaxed air traffic control equipment.
(B) Since airline deregulation began, the number of airplanes in operation has increased by 25 percent.
(C) Over 60 percent of the takeoff and landing slots at the nation's busiest airports are reserved for commercial airlines.
(D) After a small mid western airport doubled its allocation of takeoff and landing slots, the number of delays that were reported decreased by 50 percent.
(E) Since deregulation the average length of delay at the nation's busiest airports has doubled.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Last edited by dentobizz on 21 Oct 2013, 21:23, edited 2 times in total.
formatting for the verbal review project
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 12:26
I go with option A.

The author assumes that a primary cause for the heightened delays is the lack of unoccupied landing and takeoff slots for commercial airlines. Thus, the author argues that the best method is to increase the number of slots. However, option A gives a different reason for the delays. If it is attributed to something other than the number of slots, increasing them would not necessarily help.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 22:21
bigoyal wrote:
Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's increasingly busy airports have increased by 25 percent. To combat this problem, more of the takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports must be allocated to commercial airlines.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the effectiveness of the solution proposed above?

(A) The major causes of delays at the nation's busiest airports are bad weather and overtaxed air traffic control equipment.
(B) Since airline deregulation began, the number of airplanes in operation has increased by 25 percent.
(C) Over 60 percent of the takeoff and landing slots at the nation's busiest airports are reserved for commercial airlines.
(D) After a small midwestern airport doubled its allocation of takeoff and landing slots, the number of delays that were reported decreased by 50 percent.
(E) Since deregulation the average length of delay at the nation's busiest airports has doubled.

I would say (A) is the strongest.

The argument makes an unspoken assumption that delays are caused by the lack of allocated takeoff/landing slots. (A) suggests entirely different causes (weather & lack of airport equipment) of the problem, which won't change regardless of how many slots are allocated to airlines.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 01:49
I think it's B

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 02:59
I guess.. I would go with A too.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 05:35
Can someone explain in detail. I am not able to understand A.

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 09:30
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 00:07
Now, Agree with A

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 00:55
+1 for A
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 873 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 03:06
"A" is correct, but why C is less preferred?

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 08:38
+1 for C. I thought being 60% already, commerical aircrafts do not have chance to increase.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 19:19
+1 for A.

C would be taking it too far and largely irrelevant as a weakener.

At best, Even though 60 % of slots are already alloted to commercial airlines, making it 62 % is still possible and be in the realm of argument.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 09:32
A wins the battel.

I was confused with C but author never mentions what did he mean by "more of the slots"

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 13:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 13:44
B actually supports the effectiveness of the solution. If the traffic has increased, allowing more slots for commercial airlines would reduce congestion.

A is the correct answer IMO.

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: HKUST, ISB
GMAT Date: 11-20-2011
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Other)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Deregulation of airlines [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 17:11
A
Manager
Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 02:02
A it is .

conclusion showing a cause for which there is an effect, now to weaken it we have to find an alternate cause for that effect.

hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
R: K

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 12:37
OA is A. But is there any difference between the term " nation's increasingly busy airports" used in argument and term " nation's busiest airports" used in correct option?

I understand that other options can easily be eliminated, but if we have option F : The major causes of delays at the nation's increasingly busy airports are bad weather and overtaxed air traffic control equipment.

What would be the answer A or F? Are we required to figure out such subtle differences in GMAT ?

Thanks
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1184

Kudos [?]: 3127 [0], given: 176

Re: Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 23:26
Expert's post
CARK wrote:
OA is A. But is there any difference between the term " nation's increasingly busy airports" used in argument and term " nation's busiest airports" used in correct option?

I understand that other options can easily be eliminated, but if we have option F : The major causes of delays at the nation's increasingly busy airports are bad weather and overtaxed air traffic control equipment.

What would be the answer A or F? Are we required to figure out such subtle differences in GMAT ?

Thanks

Hi CARK,

No, you will not need to figure out such difference in GMAT. Even in the current question, you are not supposed to figure out such difference. If you read the passage carefully, the conclusion talks about "busiest airports", the same as that in the correct option statement. Since our job is to weaken the conclusion, option A clearly does that by referring to "busiest airports".

As you can now think, if there were option F as you wrote, it would not be correct since it talks about "increasingly busy airports" whereas the conclusion talks about "busiest airports".

Remember in all argument questions (strengthen, weaken, evaluate, flaw), you need to have a RAZOR SHARP FOCUS on the CONCLUSION. Whatever premises say, if the conclusion is any different, then you need to pay attention to the conclusion.

Does it help?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 22

Reviews Badge
Re: Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 23:35
Plan assumes that lack of enough slots causing the delay. Then i will attack this causal assumption by providing that something else is causing the delay.
Clearly A mention that it's the bad weather , not the lack of slots, is causing the problem.

(A) The major causes of delays at the nation's busiest airports are bad weather and overtaxed air traffic control equipment. Correct
(B) Since airline deregulation began, the number of airplanes in operation has increased by 25 percent. this says, situation is aggravated and hence doesn't attack
(C) Over 60 percent of the takeoff and landing slots at the nation's busiest airports are reserved for commercial airlines. Adding extra slots don't help
(D) After a small mid western airport doubled its allocation of takeoff and landing slots, the number of delays that were reported decreased by 50 percent. Strengthen
(E) Since deregulation the average length of delay at the nation's busiest airports has doubled. restating the premise.
Re: Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2014, 23:35