Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 75

Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 02:19
(E) is not only specific,but also not attacking the conclusion...

The conclusion is a claim made on the publisher and the publisher intention of increasing sales.

(B) states that the decision makers are the publishers, (they can do what ever they want...decide cover magazines for enhancing sales? reporting important events or not...etc..)
so,
IMO B

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 6

Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 04:37
Went for B, but only after 2 mins 20 secs elapsed. Negating B destroys the argument since that shows that the publishers are not really the deciders and thus have no influence on who is on the cover.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2014, 21:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 06:13
Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine’s covers have featured only models and movie stars. Previously, the covers had displayed only politicians, soldiers, and business leaders. A leading gossip columnist claimed that the changes made the magazine relevant again. However, many newspaper editorials disagreed and suggested that the new publisher is more interested in boosting sales than in reporting important news events.

Which of the following is an assumption necessary for the argument made by the gossip columnist’s opponents?

only close answere seem to be "B" and " E"........

b) Final authority for choosing the cover subject of the magazine lies with the publisher. CORRECT... NEGATE IT ! IT FALLS FLAT....IF FINAL AUTHORITY IS'NT THE PUBLISHER, THEN WHAT THE PUBLISHER IS INTERESTED IN DOES'NT MATTER...... ASSUMPTION MUST BE TRUE( ie NEGATION TEST WILL HOLD), SUPPORT CONCLUSION AND MUST PROVIDE NEW INFO

e) Magazine issues with models or movie stars on the covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with issues featuring politicians on the covers.INCORRECT....NEGATION TEST DOESNT MAKE CONCLUSION FALL FLAT.....Magazine issues with models or movie stars on the covers are NOT purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with issues featuring politicians on the covers..... SO WHAT STILL THE SALES CAN BOOST....

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE..........
Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2014, 06:13