Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 09:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

80% (02:16) correct 20% (01:31) wrong based on 15 sessions
Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine’s covers have featured only models and movie stars. Previously, the covers had displayed only politicians, soldiers, and business leaders. A leading gossip columnist claimed that the changes made the magazine relevant again. However, many newspaper editorials disagreed and suggested that the new publisher is more interested in boosting sales than in reporting important news events.

Which of the following is an assumption necessary for the argument made by the gossip columnist’s opponents?

a) The charitable activities of models and movie stars often focus public attention on pressing problems.
b) Final authority for choosing the cover subject of the magazine lies with the publisher.
c) A magazine can boost sales while highlighting the coverage of important world leaders.
d) Some of the movie stars featured are now running for political office.
e) Magazine issues with models or movie stars on the covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with issues featuring politicians on the covers.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 09:26
Straight E.

Opponents "suggested that the new publisher is more interested in boosting sales than in reporting important news events"

E clearly says the sales are 3 times when featured models or movie stars
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
Conclusion: Recent changes are unnecessary and made to increase the sales.

a) The charitable activities of models and movie stars often focus public attention on pressing problems. [But doesn’t address the assumption – eliminate it]
b) Final authority for choosing the cover subject of the magazine lies with the publisher. [No direct relation to the conclusion]
c) A magazine can boost sales while highlighting the coverage of important world leaders. [Hold it]
d) Some of the movie stars featured are now running for political office. [What movies stars up to is irrelevant to argument]
e) Magazine issues with models or movie stars on the covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with issues featuring politicians on the covers. [Has no direct relation to the conclusion ]

Answer: C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 09:52
Which of the following is an assumption necessary for the argument made by the gossip columnist’s opponents?

E looks like only possible choice here, so obvious that I am suspicious of some trick...

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Manager
Manager

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 10:01
I realized that choice E is not correct. It is obviously not the mandatory assumption needed to support the opponents conclusion.

I did some search and found B is the right answer.

b) Final authority for choosing the cover subject of the magazine lies with the publisher.

If we negate this assumption and say Publisher is not the authority, the changes in cover page could be because of someone else. Thus the best answer.

We always need to do this negation test for Assumption questions. I somehow miss this point often.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
I went with E a well. However, the OA is (B). :(
I still think that it is a stretch.
This is a Manhattan Gmat Question and here are the explanations:

The argument presents the facts of an apparent change in a magazine's cover features since the new publisher took control. While a gossip columnist hailed the change, newspaper editorials disagreed and concluded that the publisher favored profit over reporting. The editorials are the opponents of the gossip columnist; since their conclusion is about the publisher’s desires, there must be an assumption connecting the publisher to the covers.

(A) This choice is irrelevant, as it is not connected to the conclusion. The activities of celebrities have nothing to do with the publisher’s interests.

(B) CORRECT. Since the conclusion concerns the publisher’s desires based on the content of the magazine covers, the editorials have to assume that the publisher decides who is to be a cover subject. If not, there is no connection between the covers and the publisher’s interests.

(C) This choice is the opposite of a necessary assumption. For the editorials to conclude that the publisher prefers profits to reporting, they have to assume that the two are mutually exclusive.

(D) “Some” means “at least one,” so this is not a powerful statement in any direction. Furthermore, even if several such stars were running for political office, it is not at all necessary to assume that to conclude that the publisher was more interested in profits.

(E) This choice is not correct. While it is true that the editorials must assume model and movie star covers are likely to sell more copies, it does not have to be assumed that such covers will result in the sale of triple the number of copies, or any other specific number.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 10:15
Yeah the point is would the real GMAT question have the answer choices in this manner.

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 10:32
spiridon wrote:
Yeah the point is would the real GMAT question have the answer choices in this manner.

Yeah! I did not even had an inkling that B could be an answer. It did not make any sense to chose B, but the more I read the explanation, the more it sounds correct. I believe E is also a good assumption but probably NOT necessary.

Lets hear from our new friend, grumpyoldman who explains in detail
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 10:38
I agree.
I saw similar behaviour in one of the RC questions as well. I sent an email to the MGMAT staff and seems like, that question already had been pointed out for revision by few.
However, this CR question seems correct but one has to go a little further to get to this answer choice.

BTW, who is the "grumpyoldman"? :)

-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 10:53
OK then fortunately i was an exception here :o

i chose B at first ; and here is my reasoning :

We have to find out the assumption for the newspaper editorials who say that " new publisher is more interested in boosting sales than in reporting important news events."

So the assumption has to be some thing which goes to support their conclusion (above)

a) The charitable activities of models and movie stars often focus public attention on pressing problems. (this will Hurt the conclusion of editorials)
c) A magazine can boost sales while highlighting the coverage of important world leaders. (this is again against what editorials conclude)
d) Some of the movie stars featured are now running for political office. (irrelevant ; this will not affect the conclusion at all )
e) Magazine issues with models or movie stars on the covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with issues featuring politicians on the covers. (here we need to POINT on the fact that the conclusion talks about "Sales" -more no. of copies being sold- BUT in this choice COST is highlighted as the issue ; we are not looking for profits ; Also this might Hurt the conclusion in for hight rates may not lead to high sales)
Manager
Manager

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 12:56
spiridon wrote:

Yes. Some of them are really abstract and complex. From my experience with the real GMAT , we are measured by our success in complex questions not the lollipop kind of simple questions.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 18:22
i went with B...

the critics assumption is that the publisher is responsible for selecting the cover, what if some random poll of people was used to select the cover? that would break apart the critics argument..
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 18:39
This post received
KUDOS
Haha!

I wonder if anyone else made the same mistake I did.

I made the classic mistake. I did not read the question properly. The question asks
"Which of the following is an assumption necessary for the argument made by the gossip columnist’s opponents?"

I missed that last bit. Opponents. (*Message to self, slow down!*)

I also picked C but if its an assumption made by the opponents, then C is incorrect as it is in direct conflict of what editorials conclude.

Sumi
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: New Magazine [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 22:33
Good question. Assumptions is giving me hard time. Is it the most difficult question on CR?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 05:38
+ 1 B

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 36

Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 10:04
leonidas wrote:
Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine’s covers have featured only models and movie stars. Previously, the covers had displayed only politicians, soldiers, and business leaders. A leading gossip columnist claimed that the changes made the magazine relevant again. However, many newspaper editorials disagreed and suggested that the new publisher is more interested in boosting sales than in reporting important news events.

a) The charitable activities of models and movie stars often focus public attention on pressing problems.
c) A magazine can boost sales while highlighting the coverage of important world leaders.
d) Some of the movie stars featured are now running for political office.
e) Magazine issues with models or movie stars on the covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with issues featuring politicians on the covers.

Note that the passage by itself doesn't have a clear conclusion. But, if you look at the question stem, we can treat the gossip columnist's views as the conclusion.
His/her claim is that the "publisher made the magazine relevant" -> this needs an assumption that the new publisher is making the decision to change the covers.
When I was looking at answer choices, one of the reasons I didn't consider E as a contender is that it has specific language of "three times greater".

hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:28
B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 01:02
B, interesting ........ was homing towards E.

can some one have the official exp. please
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-15-2011

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 18:49
+1 B
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 01:44
I went also with B :?

Anyways on the real GMAT we have to eliminate answers like E
because of "at a rate more than three times greater " too specific
Re: Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2012, 01:44