Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [2] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine s [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:26) correct 67% (01:27) wrong based on 289 sessions
Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine’s covers have featured only models and movie stars. Previously, the covers had displayed only politicians, soldiers, and business leaders. A leading gossip columnist claimed that the changes made the magazine relevant again. However, many newspaper editorials disagreed and suggested that the new publisher is more interested in boosting sales than in reporting important news events.

Which of the following is an assumption necessary for the argument made by the gossip columnist’s opponents?

(A) The charitable activities of models and movie stars often focus public attention on pressing problems.

(B) Final authority for choosing the cover subject of the magazine lies with the publisher.

(C) A magazine can boost sales while highlighting the coverage of important world leaders.

(D) Some of the movie stars featured are now running for political office.

(E) Magazine issues with models or movie stars on the covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with issues featuring politicians on the covers.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by heyholetsgo on 18 Aug 2010, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 10:17
i do not agree with the oa provided ...i go with C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 10:24
My bad. I clicked the wrong answer. But why C? I tried the negation test and imo it does NOT work in that case..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 10:26
I originally chose E, because the sales of covers with celebrities must actually be higher than the politicians for opponents to claim they are only doing it for higher sales. Although now I can see that it might be wrong since it says 3x the amount, and it does not necessarily have to be that much higher, as long as it is a little higher.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 10:35
heyholetsgo wrote:
Since the new publisher took control, a news magazine’s covers have featured only models and movie stars. Previously, the covers had displayed only politicians, soldiers, and business leaders. A leading gossip columnist claimed that the changes made the magazine relevant again. However, many newspaper editorials disagreed and suggested that the new publisher is more interested in boosting sales than in reporting important news events.

Which of the following is an assumption necessary for the argument made by the gossip columnist’s opponents?

The charitable activities of models and movie stars often focus public attention on pressing problems.

Final authority for choosing the cover subject of the magazine lies with the publisher.

A magazine can boost sales while highlighting the coverage of important world leaders.

Some of the movie stars featured are now running for political office.

Magazine issues with models or movie stars on the covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with issues featuring politicians on the covers.

I don't quite understand C either, that a magazine can also boost sales with world leaders on the cover is not necessary to say the publisher is choosing celebrities just to boost sales. If anything, I would think that would weaken the argument...since you can boost sales with world leaders, the publisher is not using celebrities to boost sales, but maybe because he likes the topic or whatever reason. Can anyone explain?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 20:15
heyholetsgo wrote:

The charitable activities of models and movie stars often focus public attention on pressing problems.

Final authority for choosing the cover subject of the magazine lies with the publisher.

A magazine can boost sales while highlighting the coverage of important world leaders.

Magazine issues with models or movie stars on the covers are purchased at a rate more than three times greater than is the case with issues featuring politicians on the covers.

I dont understand why OA is C.

I picked E.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 21:05
I am so convinced that answer has to be B.

heyholetsgo wrote:

Please press kudos if you like my post.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 23:56
This post received
KUDOS
C it is

Let analyze the argument:

The publisher change cover from politician to movie star. Columnist says that this make the magazine relevant again.

The Opponent: disagree. say that the publisher only interested in boost sales than report news.

What is the Assumption of the Opponent?

Remember that one conclusion can have many assumptions, I came up with my own assumption (and I think many of you do) such as: "The movie star cover sell more than the politician cover and the magazine with movie star cover reports less news about important events"

I was looking for answer similar to that but find none. So I search in the answer choice for different kind of Assumption.

Voila, C it is.

The Opponent say that the Publisher interested in boost sale than report news must means that the Opponent BELIEVE that it is POSSIBLE to do both (boost sale) and (report news) at the same time. That's it, that the answer.

E is incorrect because E only explain the boosting sale part, how can you prove that the magazine doesn't report important news?

B is incorrect because we focus on whether the publisher is more interested in boost sale or not, the fact that he has the power to do so is not relevant. More over, it is explicitly said that "Since the new publisher took control" mean he has the power.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
I went with E
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 14:45
gautrang wrote:
C it is

Let analyze the argument:

The publisher change cover from politician to movie star. Columnist says that this make the magazine relevant again.

The Opponent: disagree. say that the publisher only interested in boost sales than report news.

What is the Assumption of the Opponent?

Remember that one conclusion can have many assumptions, I came up with my own assumption (and I think many of you do) such as: "The movie star cover sell more than the politician cover and the magazine with movie star cover reports less news about important events"

I was looking for answer similar to that but find none. So I search in the answer choice for different kind of Assumption.

Voila, C it is.

The Opponent say that the Publisher interested in boost sale than report news must means that the Opponent BELIEVE that it is POSSIBLE to do both (boost sale) and (report news) at the same time. That's it, that the answer.

E is incorrect because E only explain the boosting sale part, how can you prove that the magazine doesn't report important news?

B is incorrect because we focus on whether the publisher is more interested in boost sale or not, the fact that he has the power to do so is not relevant. More over, it is explicitly said that "Since the new publisher took control" mean he has the power.

you sure making a lot of assumptions there.....

Intern
Intern
Schools: Westminster International University in Tashkent

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 16:58
D my guess. It supports gossip columnist's statement that the paper is relevant as stars are not there just to boost paper sales but they are running for a political office which is relevant info
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 02:46
Out of the 5 choices I d go with C but still am not completely convinced with C
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 7

Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 03:55
Well explained gautrang...
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 680 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 19:05
heyholetsgo wrote:

This one should be B. The opponents claim that, based on the choice of magazine covers, "the new publisher is more interested in boosting sales than in reporting important news events". Well, if the publisher isn't choosing the magazine covers, then the magazine covers don't tell you anything about what the publisher is interested in. So answer B is an assumption in the opponents' argument: if we're going to blame the publisher for the magazine covers, we're assuming the publisher is responsible for the magazine covers.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 04:59
I also think B is the correct one
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 05:53
Iam a part of B gang too. Negate it and publisher is saved,but that should not be the case. Its the publisher who is responsible for all the mess.

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Intern
Intern

Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 06:36
Even I would go with B. Not sure how the OA is C.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 23:54
C it is:

I previously fell for E.
However, if you put the claim made by newspaper editorials you will see why.
However, many newspaper editorials disagreed and suggested that the new publisher is more interested in boosting sales than in reporting important news events.
Putting this two statements together you can clearly see that editorials are claiming that this is done only to increase sales since it is possible to increase by providing other means.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:04
I don't get why its C only B seemed correct to me

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 680 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tabloid [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is not C; I'm not sure why that's listed as the OA in the original post. If you look, say, here:

gmatclub.com/forum/cr-assumption-66123.html

the OA is given as B.

C is not the right answer here; the opponents' argument does not assume that you can boost sales while also reporting world events. If I invent a (slightly ridiculous) argument which parallels that in the original question: "You're spending a lot of time preparing for the GMAT. Therefore you're more interested in obtaining a good GMAT score than you are in becoming an astronaut", I'm in no way assuming that it's possible to do both things at once. The same is true of the argument in the question above.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Re: Tabloid   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2010, 11:34