Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since this is the GMAT Club... Let's do a calculation...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Since this is the GMAT Club... Let's do a calculation... [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2004, 10:04
Hi yall'

I'm currently an Accounting Student at Brigham Young University, also enrolled in the 5 year Macc program. My overall GPA is 3.7. I've done some research on GMAT scores, but would still like to know what GMAT score do I need to enroll in a top 25 accounting PhD program. I've had about eight months of experience as an intern in IBM's Corporate Headquarter Accounting, and by the end of my program will have plenty of Economics and Statistics classes. Maybe even teaching and research opportunities. I guess I wanna know what would make me competitive in the big PhD Showdown. Anybody has any expertise in the matter?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2004, 11:08
Hi,

Perhaps this information will help. As shown below, some programs accept the GRE as well as the GMAT. Note that these are generally for all PhD candidates, not for those concentrating on Accountancy.

It is probably a fair assertion that the strongest MBA schools are not necessarily the strongest PhD schools. Indeed, some of the best MBA programs (e.g. Tuck) do not have any PhD students. Other schools have strong academic connections but relatively weak corporate networks.

These schools are listed in no particular order.

Columbia: "the candidates joining the Fall 2003 class, have an average GMAT score of 740 and a GRE quantitative score of 790"

Duke: "Average GMAT scores of accepted applicants have ranged from approximately 710 to 720 (the overall range of scores for accepted applicants was 520 to 800)"

UCLA: "For those admitted for Fall 2004:
-Average GMAT: 718
-Average GRE: 613/783/725"

Texas: "The average GMAT for the past several admissions periods has been 690, with the range from 640 to 710. The average GRE score has been around 1450, with a range from 1400-1580."

UC Berkeley: "the median GMAT score was 720 with a quantitative percentile of 97. The median GRE percentiles were 93 verbal, 93 quantitative, and 97 analytical. The median grade-point average was 3.8 for both undergraduate and graduate work (on a 4.0 scale)."

Emory (a recently founded program): "The average GMAT score of recent admits has been approximately 716."

Rochester: Avg GMAT of admitted applicants "700 or above"

Maryland: "The average GMAT of the 27 incoming doctoral students is 710; the average GRE is 2160."

Penn: "GRE Average Scores Fall 2003 Matriculates
Verbal: 660
Quantitative: 792
Analytical: 751
Writing: 5.1"

Iowa (Accounting): "Average GMAT scores are in the high 600s, and the average GPA for a typical incoming class is above 3.50 on a 4.00 point scale"

Illinois UC (Accountancy): "The average GMAT score of students currently enrolled in the program is approximately 690. Normally, applicants with GMAT scores lower than 600 are not admitted."

Hjort
  [#permalink] 30 Jul 2004, 11:08