Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Singular or Plural?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Singular or Plural? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2007, 15:07
The following sentence is from a GMAT Sentence Correction book.
"Although I own their album, I have never seen the band in concert"

This sentence sounds fine, but since "the band" is a singular collective noun, shouldn't "their" be replaced with "its???"

please help, thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 338 [1] , given: 5

Re: Singular or Plural? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 16:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here is the deal with Collective Nouns (a noun that refers to a group of people or objects - army, crowd, team, band...)

Collective Nouns are almost always considered singular. In rare cases collective nouns can be considered plural when you want to emphasize the individual parts of the group, not the group itself. Your example fits this exception (though it feels like a bit of a stretch): "Although I own their album, I have never seen the band in concert". Because you are talking about seeing them in concert, you could imply that you want to emphasize the members of the band, not the group itself. For the most part, when you see a collective noun, treat it as singular.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Singular or Plural? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 14:00
I know this is a 6-year old thread, but I'm also wondering about this, so I'll bump:

My impression is that either 'its' or 'their' would be appropriate in this sentence, because 'their' is supposedly accepted now for singular pronouns.

I've found discussions on Google stating that they/their is acceptable, but haven't found any formal statement of this from any reliable authority.

Can anyone provide a link to somewhere official that states that they/their is acceptable for singular use? Or, more specifically, that this is definitely allowed on the GMAT?

Thanks!

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 241

Re: Singular or Plural? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 18:45
KyleWiddison wrote:
Here is the deal with Collective Nouns (a noun that refers to a group of people or objects - army, crowd, team, band...)

Collective Nouns are almost always considered singular. In rare cases collective nouns can be considered plural when you want to emphasize the individual parts of the group, not the group itself. Your example fits this exception (though it feels like a bit of a stretch): "Although I own their album, I have never seen the band in concert". Because you are talking about seeing them in concert, you could imply that you want to emphasize the members of the band, not the group itself. For the most part, when you see a collective noun, treat it as singular.

KW

Hi Kyle,

You are absolutely correct that Collective nouns can be singular as well as plural. But in this case, the plural is not appropriate
Although I own their album, I have never seen the band in concert
In this sentence THEIR refers to band members (as implied & mentioned by you), but if we use THEIR, then it has no ANTECEDENT (BAND MEMBERS) in the sentence. As far as i know, a pronoun can not exist in a sentence without a proper & definitive antecedent

Although I own its album, I have never seen the band in concert
ITS is singular & the proper antecedent BAND is also present in the sentence.

Waiting for your inputs.

Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 5

Re: Singular or Plural? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 19:44
Expert's post
fameatop wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:

KW

Hi Kyle,

You are absolutely correct that Collective nouns can be singular as well as plural. But in this case, the plural is not appropriate
Although I own their album, I have never seen the band in concert
In this sentence THEIR refers to band members (as implied & mentioned by you), but if we use THEIR, then it has no ANTECEDENT (BAND MEMBERS) in the sentence. As far as i know, a pronoun can not exist in a sentence without a proper & definitive antecedent

Although I own its album, I have never seen the band in concert
ITS is singular & the proper antecedent BAND is also present in the sentence.

Waiting for your inputs.

Fame

This is why treating collective nouns as plural is difficult (unless you are from England). When we treat a collective noun as plural we are talking about the members of the group, not the group itself. Here is an example: "I finally went to see the band in concert and they were all crazy." This sounds very strange to the ear because we almost exclusively treat collective nouns as singular. In my example, "they" refers to the band, but I'm emphasizing the members of the band, not the overall group so "they" is an appropriate pronoun with "band" as the antecedent (remember that "band" is in the plural).

In the original example, "Although I own their album, I have never seen the band in concert.", we are treating "band" in the same way as my example. The word "band" is plural so the plural pronoun "their" is appropriate.

Let me emphasize again, this plural is a very rare case that we are analyzing. On the GMAT, you should treat collective nouns as singular by rule. Exceptions may arise when the GMAT wants to emphasize the members, but those exceptions will be very rare.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Singular or Plural?   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2013, 19:44