Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sir Joseph Lister lent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 15:06
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

a. His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful
b. Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful
c. Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms
d. His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful
e. Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms

Please explain , if possible
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 15:20
"E"

sounds a little awkward but most misplaced modifiers have ing.....i have to go with E
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 15:31
humtum0 wrote:
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

b. Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful
c. Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms
d. His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful
e. Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms

i take C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 15:44
humtum0 wrote:

IMO C
It shows the reason. All other looks awkward.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 16:08
humtum0 wrote:

B and C change the meaning of the sentence. The original sentence says only that Lister lent his name after the success of his campaign. B and C say that he did this because of the success of the campaign.

D follows the general pattern that choices containing "being" are incorrect. Here, the present tense "being" does not agree with the past tense in the main clause. ("Having been" would be OK here.)

E, again, changes the meaning: the original sentence states that Lister lent his name after his campaign; according to E, the campaign and the name lending occur at the same time.

So the only acceptable choice is A. The opening phrase of A may look strange, but this is what is known as an absolute phrase. An absolute phrase is a modifying phrase formed without either a conjunction or a verb. These phrases often contain participles, but they don't have to.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 16:48
I agree with A
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 17:17
humtum0 wrote:

I picked C..
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 17:26
Vote for C.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 20:02
I agree that A looks best. B seemed like the next best thing but to me the word 'eventually' in there seems redundant so A definitely seems correct.
Manager
Manager

Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 20:09
Johnrb - good explanation. Thanks.

I chose A.

Why word "finally" is replaced by "eventually"? I dropped other choices because of this replacement.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 20:14
humtum0 wrote:

I could any guess.
D.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 22:07
'C' should be the one
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

OA [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 04:15
OA is A
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 04:57
Can you please post the official explanation for this one.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 05:03

e. Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms => awakward

A seems to be the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 13:58
I would go for C.

OA Please
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 19:05
humtum0 wrote:

I said A for this. Lookin at the popular choice C had me thinkin otherwise.

Johnrb has got an awsome explanation.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 22:02
humtum0 wrote:

The opening phrase in this question uses what is called an Absolute Phrase. It's a straight A once one understands the concepts behind Absolute constructions..

Google Absolute Phrase to learn more.
Manager
Manager

Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 22:37
Dwi - I did google .. read below - I have question for u -
Absolute Phrases

Absolute phrases are made of nouns or pronouns followed by a participle and any modifiers of the noun or pronoun. Absolute phrases contain a subject (unlike participial phrases), and no predicate. They serve to modify an entire sentence.
Examples:

Joan looked nervous, her fears creeping up on her.
noun/subject: her fears
participle: creeping
modifier: up on her
absolute phrase: her fears creeping up on her

Tom paled when he came home, his mother standing in the
doorway.
noun/subject: his mother
participle: standing
modifier: in the doorway
absolute phrase: his mother standing in the doorway

--
so if we take ongoing GMAT example here -

then,

1) His campain - noun/subject
2) participle - operating
3) modifier - finally succesful
4) absolute phrase - His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful,

Am I right? did I get the grammer rule correctly?

thanks.
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful,
Re: Sir Joseph Lister lent   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2007, 22:37