Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 629

Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 08:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:16) correct 60% (01:33) wrong based on 104 sessions
Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by hills, blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population, the city has just about everything a visitor could ask for.

A. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by hills, blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population

B. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor, surrounded by hills, blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, and a variety of museums, great restaurants, as well as a vital, multicultural population

C. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor, surrounded by hills, and blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population

D. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor, as well as surrounded by hills, blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population

E. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor, surrounded by hills, as well as blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, and a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 522

Kudos [?]: 2164 [3] , given: 31

Re: Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
avohden wrote:
Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by hills, blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population, the city has just about everything a visitor could ask for.

A. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by hills, blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population

B. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor, surrounded by hills, blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, and a variety of museums, great restaurants, as well as a vital, multicultural population

C. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor, surrounded by hills, and blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population

D. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor, as well as surrounded by hills, blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population

E. Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor, surrounded by hills, as well as blessed with an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, and a variety of museums, great restaurants, and a vital, multicultural population

Dear avohden,
I'm happy to help. :-) Usually, I find the Veritas questions very good. I am surprised that, here, the make the faux pas of ending a sentence with a preposition. The real GMAT would never do that! That's in the non-underlined part. The content of the question is perfectly clear, although it's a bit over the top in testing just one thing to the max.

The basic idea is, that when you list three things, the proper format is
P, Q, and R
Commas separating all terms, and the word "and" before the very last term. Incorrect forms include
P and Q, R
P, Q, R
P as well as Q, R

Now, look at the three participles in parallel
P = "Situated on ..."
Q = "surrounded by hills"
R = "blessed with ..."
The only answer that has the correct structure for these three element is (C).

Now, look at the four elements with which the city is "blessed"
P = "an average of 300 days of sunshine a year"
Q = "a variety of museums"
R = "great restaurants"
S = "a vital, multicultural population"
Again, these must be in the form
P, Q, R, and S
and (C) has these correct.

Therefore, only (C) could be the answer. Does this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 2475 [0], given: 693

Re: Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 10:36
Expert's post
Director
Director

Re: Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 07:47
Official Explanation

This long sentence correction problem contains several issues relating to parallelism and sentence construction. The key is to figure out from the different decision points what is supposed to be in the series. This is best accomplished with a very careful use of the “slash-and-burn” technique to simplify the choices. Once you do that, you will see that only (C) gets the series correct: “Situated on X, surrounded by Y, and blessed with A, B, C, and D, the city….” (A) is wrong as it says: “Situated on X and surrounded by Y, blessed with A,B,C, and D, the city” This series has been “bungled” as there is an “and” first but then no “and” before the last element in the series. (B) also gets it wrong: “Situated on X, surrounded by Y, blessed with Z, and A, B, as well as D” That leaves three “ed” participles linked with the noun “A”. This is not a parallel structure. In (D) the “as well as surrounded by hills” in the middle of the series is not parallel and incorrect. For (E) it starts off fine: “Situated on X, surrounded by Y, as well as blessed with Z” but then there are multiple “and” elements tacked on to the end that are clearly incorrect. Only (C) contains the necessary structure linking three parallel elements and is thus correct.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

Director
Director

Re: Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 20:04
mr. mike - I ran across this article on the web and wanted to get your thoughts regarding the article's conclusion. Let me see if I can post the entire passage; its not long. It has to do with your statement about the faux pas of ending a sentence with a preposition. I think we all have been taught that for the longest time but in my everyday conservation, I find it difficult and awkward with not ending a sentence with a preposition if it make sense in the context of the sentence. Here's the article, link is below.

When I posted the article Can You End a Sentence with a Preposition, I was surprised by how many people asked if you can start a sentence with a preposition. Here's the answer.

Many people were taught that they shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition. Today, however, most language experts don't abide by this "rule"—it's often called a myth. (Read more at Ending a Sentence with a Preposition.)

However, after I posted the article about ending sentences with prepositions, I was surprised by how many people asked if it is OK to start a sentence with a preposition. I've never heard a rule forbidding that practice.

Prepositional Phrases at the Beginning of a Sentence

Prepositional phrases at the beginning of sentences are common and grammatically correct. Consider these examples:

On the other hand, Bobby likes strawberries.
After soccer, we go out for pizza.
By noon, all the runners should be finished.
Over spring break, Shondra broke up with Lance.

Commas After Prepositional Phrases at the Beginning of a Sentence

When you start a sentence with a prepositional phrase, it's usually a good idea to put a comma after it (as in the examples above). In general, the longer the prepositional phrase, the more you need the comma. For example, the Purdue Online Writing Lab says a comma is required after introductory prepositional phrases that are longer than four words.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/can-you-start-sentence-preposition

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 522

Kudos [?]: 2164 [1] , given: 31

Re: Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
avohden wrote:
mr. mike - I ran across this article on the web and wanted to get your thoughts regarding the article's conclusion. Let me see if I can post the entire passage; its not long. It has to do with your statement about the faux pas of ending a sentence with a preposition. I think we all have been taught that for the longest time but in my everyday conservation, I find it difficult and awkward with not ending a sentence with a preposition if it make sense in the context of the sentence. Here's the article, link is below.

Dear avohden,
My friend, this is complicated. Some things in grammar are black/white right vs. wrong. The sentence "I are happy" is wrong, and everyone who speaks English and who has an opinion on grammar will say that it is wrong. There's no ambiguity, no discussion. It's just wrong. Period.

Other issues are more a matter of taste, and other people will disagree. These include
(a) ending a sentence with a preposition. (e.g. I found a box to put the shoes in.)
(b) split infinitives (e.g. To boldly go where no man has gone before.)
(c) using "however" as a synonym for "although, nevertheless" (e.g. I wanted to see the movie, however, closed before I was able to go.)
Folks who are grammatically conservative would say all three are not permissible. Folks who are grammatically permissive would say all three are fine. Grammar Girl is extremely intelligent, and she tends toward the more permissive side of the grammatical spectrum. I believe she allows all three --- she certainly has articles explicitly saying that the first two are fine, and I find it hard to imagine that she would have an objection to the third. The GMAT tends to be considerable more conservative. You will never see (a) or (b) as part of a correct answer on the GMAT. Personally, I am even more conservative than the GMAT --- the GMAT apparently has no problem with (c), but I don't find (a) or (b) or (c) acceptable. TS Eliot & I are way over on the arch-conservative side of these debates, and Grammar Girl is way over on the permissive side --- and in many ways, we are all correct. One can't be "wrong" in matters of taste.

Understand that grammar is not just a matter of simple right and wrong. There are also levels of formality and matters of taste. Grammar Girl is quite bright, but she doesn't know the GMAT and probably doesn't give a hoot about its standards. I know the standards of the GMAT relatively well. I can tell you that split infinitives & sentence ending in prepositions may be fine in your own writing and in writing out in the world, but they will never be part of a GMAT SC correct answer, and therefore, if a private company includes either of these in a GMAT practice question, that's a faux pas. The job of private companies writing GMAT prep questions is to model the real GMAT as accurately as possible.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Situated on a splendid Adriatic harbor and surrounded by   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2013, 13:25