Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Situation : For five years the Souper restaurant chain has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 672 [2] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Situation : For five years the Souper restaurant chain has [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:47) correct 16% (01:30) wrong based on 139 sessions
Situation: For five years the Souper restaurant chain has maintained rapid sales growth in Danport, primarily
by opening new restaurants that draw patrons away from other restaurants in their vicinity.
Goal: Souper wishes to achieve continued rapid sales growth in Danport over the next two years.
Proposal for consideration: Continue to open new restaurants in Danport during the next two years at the
same rate as in the last two years.
In light of the situation, which of the following, if true, most strongly argues that adopting the
proposal would be an ineffective way of achieving the goal?
A. At times at which customers find Souper restaurants too crowded, they often go to other restaurants nearby.
B. The Souper chain has generally opened new restaurants in locations that are in the vicinity of a large number of
other restaurants.
C. Souper restaurants generally offer a much smaller variety of foods than many of the other restaurants in their
vicinity.
D. Virtually all potential sites for new Souper restaurants in Danport are located in the vicinity of existing Souper
restaurants.
E. Souper restaurants have always offered meals that are somewhat less expensive than meals at restaurants that
compete with Souper for patrons.

Explanations will be appreciated.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: Souper Restaurants [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 07:02
I think fight is between A & D.

D clearly says that all future potential sites of souper restaurants are near by existing souper restaurants only.

So if they continue to expand it will be diverting its own customers only !!!

which clearly weakens the plan !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 85

Re: Souper Restaurants [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 07:09
Marcab wrote:
Situation: For five years the Souper restaurant chain has maintained rapid sales growth in Danport, primarily
by opening new restaurants that draw patrons away from other restaurants in their vicinity.
Goal: Souper wishes to achieve continued rapid sales growth in Danport over the next two years.
Proposal for consideration: Continue to open new restaurants in Danport during the next two years at the
In light of the situation, which of the following, if true, most strongly argues that adopting the
proposal would be an ineffective way of achieving the goal?
A. At times at which customers find Souper restaurants too crowded, they often go to other restaurants nearby.
Strenghtens the proposal
B. The Souper chain has generally opened new restaurants in locations that are in the vicinity of a large number of
other restaurants. This option doesn't provide any additional informations about these other restaurants
C. Souper restaurants generally offer a much smaller variety of foods than many of the other restaurants in their
vicinity. If Souper restaurants offer a much smaller variety than many others and they maintained rapid sales growth, then i don't think that will make us doubtful whether opening new souper restaurants will impacts the sales growth
D. Virtually all potential sites for new Souper restaurants in Danport are located in the vicinity of existing Souper
restaurants. CORRECT , if the proposal is to be adopted , and the new souper restaurants are to be opened nearby to existing souper restaurants , there will be no more rapid sales growth because of supply >> demand
E. Souper restaurants have always offered meals that are somewhat less expensive than meals at restaurants that
compete with Souper for patrons. Strenghtens the proposal

Explanations will be appreciated.

Thx Marcab for this tought question !!

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 63

Re: Souper Restaurants [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 08:14

In light of the situation, which of the following, if true, most strongly argues that adopting the proposal would be an ineffective way of achieving the goal?

I think based on relevancy its between B and D as they are the only ones which mention new restaurant. D is a clear winner here. There might be options which weaken the argument in general but we are only interested in weakening the contents present within the proposal ( new restaurants). Will explain in further detail if it isn't clear.
Expert Post
Followers: 331

Kudos [?]: 2784 [0], given: 704

Re: Situation : For five years the Souper restaurant chain has [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 18:26
Expert's post
This question is an emblem of tough question

maybe easy to narrow but difficult to choice between

A and D are the contenders

D basically state that Souper fill the holes, so no more customers (after all we can't do all the time to the restaurant if we have one at each meter)

D is the best. try to stay focus. me too was tempted a lot by A. Stay focus and when you are unsure re-read the conclusion. In weaken CR you attack the conclusion, basically

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern
Schools: AGSM '15

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Situation : For five years the Souper restaurant chain has [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 19:35
It was a choice between A and D for me and ultimately went for D.

If the restaurant is losing revenues because people do not want to wait, then opening a new chain nearby will capture some of that loss revenue. It may or may not be profitable, but the question isn't regarding profits, it's regarding sales. This would support the proposal.

other restaurants.

This is simply a rehash of the first sentence.

vicinity.

There's nothing in the original argument that mentions the variety of food. Irrelevant.

restaurants.

Without any additional information, this statement can either weaken or strengthen the proposal. If for example, information from A) was given as true, then this will strengthen the proposal. However, we do not have any other information other than what is stated. Since the situation already mentions that new Souper restaurants draw patrons away from other restaurants nearby, opening additional Souper restaurants nearby will have minimal effect.

compete with Souper for patrons.

Irrelevant as the argument is not about the price of meals.
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 31

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Situation : For five years the Souper restaurant chain has [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 06:03
carcass wrote:
This question is an emblem of tough question

maybe easy to narrow but difficult to choice between

A and D are the contenders

D basically state that Souper fill the holes, so no more customers (after all we can't do all the time to the restaurant if we have one at each meter)

D is the best. try to stay focus. me too was tempted a lot by A. Stay focus and when you are unsure re-read the conclusion. In weaken CR you attack the conclusion, basically

Hi Carcass,

I don't think option A weakens the conclusion. In fact A strengthens the conclusion. If Souper restaurants are doing so well that they get crowded and customers go to other restaurant, it shows there is potential to open more Souper restaurants in vicinity and get more sales. Thus, strengthening the conclusion.

What's your thought?? Did I miss something??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 76

Re: Situation : For five years the Souper restaurant chain has [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 08:04
Good Question Marcab. Kudos!
Answer is D since this will seriously doubt the business plan of the restaurant.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Situation : For five years the Souper restaurant chain has [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 18:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Situation : For five years the Souper restaurant chain has   [#permalink] 08 May 2014, 18:12