Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Send PM
Re: Six months journey stoped at 480 today..its stoped not ended [#permalink]
CMcAboy wrote:
Can you give details about your test experience? Could mental fatigue have been a factor during your test?

No ..no mental fatigue..even i was relax..no stresss.. but just in the end when i had 15 questions were remaining in my verbal section, i was feeeling nausea, but that did affect on my RC because i cudnt concentrate on my RC...

I think i studied and practised alot..but i was not focusing on my weakness ..I Did OG 2 to 3 times all question from Q section to all verbal section..from OG 10 and OG 12 edition ..

I dont think so Q section was tough... but still i got only 36 percentile whereas i used to get 43 or 44 at home..

bb wrote:
Have you seen my post about GMAT Fiction?

Bb.. no ..I didnt..i m cheking it out now..

but guyz plz do tell me which SC and CR buk shud i go thtough except MGMAT... i want to give second atempt with in month..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Well, my GMAT Verbal also went down the drain. :(

Why don't you check out Thursdays With Ron? One of the forum members suggested me, i am just going through it but i am already feeling good about it. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Sanjoo,

I am no GMAT expert, nor do have I taken the test yet.
But below are some advice from my side.

1. Take some break, relax for few weeks, do what ever you like to recharge your batteries to the fullest. This is not the end of the world.
2. Get prepared mentally to take the test again. The test doesn't have limited attempts, because many of us don't do it right at the 1st attempt.
3. Take a diagnostic test again - this time instead of focusing on 5 parts of GMAT(PS,DS, SC, CR, RC), focus on sub-areas such as for PS - Number theory, Combination, Time and Work etc. For SC - S-V agreement, Modifiers, Comparisons, Parallelism etc. Find out your strong and weak sub-areas and work accordingly.
4. For RCs: Make a habit of reading regularly. I would suggest "The New York Times". Read the daily opinion page. Since you are an Indian, I am sure you will find the language and style of writing strikingly different from what we read here - "Times of India" or "Hindu". This will make you familiar with the language used in GMAT RCs. Once you read the opinion, write a quick summary paragraph. This would ensure you comprehend the text properly.
The GMAT fiction prescribed here is good, but it is time consuming and recommended only if you have 1 year in hand. Reading 1 or 2 non-fiction management books would be good for your knowledge. So it is up to you.
5. For CRs: Consider each as an AWA. Before attacking the question, find out what are the possible assumptions, given facts of the argument and conclusions. Then read the question and mark your answer.
Generally people read the question 1st, but that is recommended once you are apt in the above strategy.
6. For SCs: you need to : understand basic rules , practice a lot and revisit error logs.
7. For PS and DS: Number Theory, Powers, Ratio, Time and Work, Percentages, Interests, Mixtures - Buy Quick Arithmetic by Asish Agarwal - S Chand publications. This is really a very good book, which provides some tricks and fundamentals very useful in GMAT. For : Sets, Inequalities, Statistics and Probability - I have not found any basics book yet. But while practicing problems you use google and note down solution methods.

I am sure, you have done most of the materials. So you definitely need a break to erase all the wrong concepts and to start all over again.
And get a job. I think by studying 10-12 hrs daily, you have over-prepared and this fatigue led to your low score.

All the best.
Don't loose hope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi Sanjo

I've not taken my test, but I've certainly ridden the highs and lows that go along with the prep tests. I've thrown my two cents in below, I hope it's of some use.

It seems like quant is your strength, although you didn't do as well as you'd hoped in the actual test. So focus on the verbal. From your writing style it's clear that english isn't your native language, so practice reading and writing in proper english. When you participate in the forum, such as when you did above, try and use correct grammar rather than 'txt' language (e.g. 'Ur'). Once you've written what you want to say, go back through it and try and correct it. The faster you become fluent, the faster you will learn, the sooner you will destroy the verbal section.

A few easy wins that I've had so far:
1) Read lots - Even though I'm an native english speaker, I've found that reading a lot has helped my 'reading fitness', so when I'm tackling the 3rd or 4th RC passage I can still take most of it in.
2) Learn what is in scope and out of scope in terms of CR question types and their respective answers.
3) Although I'm a native english speaker, my SC was rubbish! I used MGMAT SC initially, which helped but was probably more detail than I needed at first. I really like the PowerScore SC guide for a simpler approach to begin.
4) Finally, there are a lot of common bits of advice (e.g. error logs, simulated test conditions etc) in peoples debriefs. They're common for a reason so employ them.

Good luck my man, hopefully we'll see you post a 650+ debrief in the coming months!

B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Send PM
How helpfull and cooperative u ppl r ...!!!..

nice to see all coments guyz..

bradfris wrote:
Hi Sanjo

I've not taken my test, but I've certainly ridden the highs and lows that go along with the prep tests. I've thrown my two cents in below, I hope it's of some use.

It seems like quant is your strength, although you didn't do as well as you'd hoped in the actual test. So focus on the verbal. From your writing style it's clear that english isn't your native language, so practice reading and writing in proper english. When you participate in the forum, such as when you did above, try and use correct grammar rather than 'txt' language (e.g. 'Ur'). Once you've written what you want to say, go back through it and try and correct it. The faster you become fluent, the faster you will learn, the sooner you will destroy the verbal section.

A few easy wins that I've had so far:
1) Read lots - Even though I'm an native english speaker, I've found that reading a lot has helped my 'reading fitness', so when I'm tackling the 3rd or 4th RC passage I can still take most of it in.
2) Learn what is in scope and out of scope in terms of CR question types and their respective answers.
3) Although I'm a native english speaker, my SC was rubbish! I used MGMAT SC initially, which helped but was probably more detail than I needed at first. I really like the PowerScore SC guide for a simpler approach to begin.
4) Finally, there are a lot of common bits of advice (e.g. error logs, simulated test conditions etc) in peoples debriefs. They're common for a reason so employ them.

Good luck my man, hopefully we'll see you post a 650+ debrief in the coming months!

B.

Thank u bradfris...!!.. yeah i m going to start novels and wsg economist..!! Yup i.. m trying my best to reach 650+...
ahmed2502 wrote:
Hi Sanjoo,

I am no GMAT expert, nor do have I taken the test yet.
But below are some advice from my side.

1. Take some break, relax for few weeks, do what ever you like to recharge your batteries to the fullest. This is not the end of the world.
2. Get prepared mentally to take the test again. The test doesn't have limited attempts, because many of us don't do it right at the 1st attempt.
3. Take a diagnostic test again - this time instead of focusing on 5 parts of GMAT(PS,DS, SC, CR, RC), focus on sub-areas such as for PS - Number theory, Combination, Time and Work etc. For SC - S-V agreement, Modifiers, Comparisons, Parallelism etc. Find out your strong and weak sub-areas and work accordingly.
4. For RCs: Make a habit of reading regularly. I would suggest "The New York Times". Read the daily opinion page. Since you are an Indian, I am sure you will find the language and style of writing strikingly different from what we read here - "Times of India" or "Hindu". This will make you familiar with the language used in GMAT RCs. Once you read the opinion, write a quick summary paragraph. This would ensure you comprehend the text properly.
The GMAT fiction prescribed here is good, but it is time consuming and recommended only if you have 1 year in hand. Reading 1 or 2 non-fiction management books would be good for your knowledge. So it is up to you.
5. For CRs: Consider each as an AWA. Before attacking the question, find out what are the possible assumptions, given facts of the argument and conclusions. Then read the question and mark your answer.
Generally people read the question 1st, but that is recommended once you are apt in the above strategy.
6. For SCs: you need to : understand basic rules , practice a lot and revisit error logs.
7. For PS and DS: Number Theory, Powers, Ratio, Time and Work, Percentages, Interests, Mixtures - Buy Quick Arithmetic by Asish Agarwal - S Chand publications. This is really a very good book, which provides some tricks and fundamentals very useful in GMAT. For : Sets, Inequalities, Statistics and Probability - I have not found any basics book yet. But while practicing problems you use google and note down solution methods.

I am sure, you have done most of the materials. So you definitely need a break to erase all the wrong concepts and to start all over again.
And get a job. I think by studying 10-12 hrs daily, you have over-prepared and this fatigue led to your low score.

All the best.
Don't loose hope.

Thanks alot..Helpfull tips..!!..
Yup .. i m not going to read anything now for a week.. will strt after a weekkk with full passion..

asax wrote:
Well, my GMAT Verbal also went down the drain. :(

Why don't you check out Thursdays With Ron? One of the forum members suggested me, i am just going through it but i am already feeling good about it. :)

Yup frnd..gmat verbal is realy tough for non native..!!..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
If you have some time, just give a look at my debrief: I did exactly like you did and studied 12hr/day and I assure you that's the best way to bomb your Gmat.

You have huge willpower and I respect you for that. Just relax a little, clear your head and start again.

You will probably assimilate more if you do have a job and have sheer fun from time to time.
And read well written magazines (Science, Nature) and Papers (Financial Times, Tribune) etc. just like the other posters advised you.

Wish you the best, cheers.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts