Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Six months or so after getting a video game console, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 07:24
I would say D.

Games would get retired more often keeping those trading games businesses alive.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 21:13
Conclusions : Once the market for game consoles is saturated, businesses distributing games face hard times.
Assumption : These businesses wouldn't have anything to sell except "Initial version of Games"

Option B hits on this assumption by stating that these businesses would have other items, such as games features, as well to sell.

Option D mentions only a qualified segment (early buyers) of buyers. It only weakens the argument partially not fully. How it weakens the argument... that is by hitting on the premise by saying "People who apparently lost interest in obtaining games to play on the gaming console were Early buyers only". So, it may be said, other buyers would continue to buy games.

So, I would go with B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 09:34
I choose D. The answer says that early buyers need not be representative of the market. The market may not get tire of the gaming console. Actions of the early buyer can't be taken to represent those of other buyers. It is only the early buyer who tire out, later buyers continue to buying the consoles.
Hope it helps.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 18:45
VP
VP
Followers: 204

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 10:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 10:25
feruz77 wrote:
Six months or so after getting a video game console, the market becomes saturated until there is one in 80 percent of homes. Early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining games to play on the gaming console. The trade of business selling and renting games is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video game consoles is still growing. But, clearly, once the market for
game consoles is saturated, businesses distributing games face hard times.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) The market for game consoles would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.
(B) Among the items handled by video games distributors are many games specifically produced as game features
(C) Few of early buyers of video game consoles raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail

Let me know your ans?

Clear D

If the early buyers always have that behavior then this is not a clear evidence on hw this loss of intrest will cause businesses to face hard times

Cheers
J
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 35

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 11:03
feruz77 wrote:
Six months or so after getting a video game console, the market becomes saturated until there is one in 80 percent of homes. Early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining games to play on the gaming console. The trade of business selling and renting games is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video game consoles is still growing. But, clearly, once the market for

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) The market for game consoles would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.
(B) Among the items handled by video games distributors are many games specifically produced as game features
(C) Few of early buyers of video game consoles raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail

Let me know your ans?

Experts please help.

There is no convincing answer.
The confusion is between B and D. The OA is D but it seems to be strengthening the argument.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [1] , given: 67

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
faamir wrote:
feruz77 wrote:

Let me know your ans?

Experts please help.

The confusion is between B and D. The OA is D but it seems to be strengthening the argument.

I will try, let me know if it helps

Check the highlighted portion of the stem. The one in red is Conclusion, and green is a prompt that leads to conclusion.
The argument is all about reduction in the distribution of the gaming distribution because of a saturation in the market of the console itself. So we need to find an argument that testifies a fact that there is a chance for the distribution business to survive. Option D does the same by targeting the part highlighted in green. It pacifies the argument saying that there is nothing much to worry, these early buyers are kind of outliers, and we should not derive conclusion basis on these first time buyers.
The line strike out is a cleverly placed distractor.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 35

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 22:18
Thanks Archit for the nice explanation.

It's clearer to me now :)
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 23:52
faamir wrote:
Thanks Archit for the nice explanation.

It's clearer to me now :)

Great! Happy that my post helped..

Thanks for the Kudos!!

Archit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 45

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 22:45
Archit143 wrote:
faamir wrote:
feruz77 wrote:

Let me know your ans?

Experts please help.

I will try, let me know if it helps

Check the highlighted portion of the stem. The one in red is Conclusion, and green is a prompt that leads to conclusion.
The argument is all about reduction in the distribution of the gaming distribution because of a saturation in the market of the console itself. So we need to find an argument that testifies a fact that there is a chance for the distribution business to survive. Option D does the same by targeting the part highlighted in green. It pacifies the argument saying that there is nothing much to worry, these early buyers are kind of outliers, and we should not derive conclusion basis on these first time buyers.
The line strike out is a cleverly placed distractor.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit

I'm having a little trouble with the "early buyers"....
If the market gets saturated after 6 months, doesn't it mean that the 80% of people who bought constitute the "early buyers"?
If so, this won't weaken....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 03:49
feruz77 wrote:

Let me know your ans?

My 2 cents. So what is the conclusion of the paragraph. It is once the market for
game consoles is saturated, businesses distributing games will face hard times.

Weakened conclusion could be something contrary to it like - even once the market for
game consoles is saturated, businesses distributing games will NOT face hard times.

Option D seems to indicate that early buyers ( who gave the initial euphoria for the product sale ) are very keen to get novelties . This explains that they might have a big hand in projecting up the sales to reach the 1 in 80 household statistic. Obviously games have to be taken along with game consoles to make any sense of the purchase. Now a very interesting point in this premise is that these buyers also tire easily so they will buy games along with new console but get tired of old games and then buy new games thereby ensuring the momentum in market . This will ensure that business of distributing games does not face hard times.

IMO a pretty convoluted logic but then GMAT is selecting the BEST out of the various given options and this one seemed the best to me
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 21:25
I picked B, but wasn't confident...now I see why D is correct.

Premise: generally speaking, video game console released --> 6 month period --> post 6 month period in which market grows toward saturation

Premise: a specific video console was release --> early buyers (presumably buyers in the initial 6 month period) did not follow up initial game purchases with more game purchases

Assumption: later buyers will follow same trend and not follow up game initial purchases

Conclusion: video game companies will suffer once market reaches saturation and there are no more or a substantially reduced amount of new console buyers

So, Choice D provides a way to differentiate between the 6 month buyers and the later buyers, and open the argument up to the possibility that the later buyers will not follow this pattern and potentially follow up their initial game purchases with more
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1096 [0], given: 118

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 01:33
feruz77 wrote:
Six months or so after getting a video game console, the market becomes saturated until there is one in 80 percent of homes. Early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining games to play on the gaming console. The trade of business selling and renting games is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video game consoles is still growing. But, clearly, once the market for game consoles is saturated, businesses distributing games face hard times.

Let me know your ans?

Hello.

My 2 cents for choosing D. Hope it helps!

First, this is a "weaken" question, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is finding correct conclusion and its assumptions.

ANALYZE THE QUESTION:

Premise 1: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the market becomes saturated.
Premise 2: Early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining games to play on the gaming console.
Premise 3: The trade of business selling and renting games is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video game consoles is still growing.

Conclusion: once the market for game consoles is saturated, businesses distributing games face hard times.

Assumption: if the market has NOT saturated yet, customers still keep renting video game = businesses distributing game consoles do not face hard time.

ATTACK THE CONCLUSION:

The author assumes that once the market for game consoles is saturated, businesses distributing game face hard times. It means if the market has NOT saturated yet, customers still keep renting video game. Only when market is saturated, customers will be bored of renting video games and stop doing so. Nope, what if customers who rent video games are people attracted by "NEW" stuffs but will be tired of this kind of stuff very quickly. It means they will stop renting video games even when the market for game consoles still grows. Clearly, the conclusion falls apart.

OPTION D:
D says exactly the same. Hence, it's an answer.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 19:24
feruz77 wrote:

Let me know your ans?

I had a very hard time reading this question due to the grammar. But I believe the main points are below:

So you have a bunch of nerds who buy gaming consoles way before it can be justified to spend a comical amount of your pay check on said console, 6 months progress, and eventually everyone or about 80% has the same crappy console in his or her home.
Now through some miracle of life these same nerds get tired of playing the games they have been playing 24/7 for the last 6 months. Everyone wants to unload their crappy games onto the 20% of the market that hasn't wasted their money (but soon will?) on said crappy console.
Either way the point is that Video Game Distributors are supposedly chit out of luck.

However the question asks which answer would say that the Distributors will not have to mortgage their houses and file for bankruptcy.

Out of all the poorly worded and confusing answer choices (D) stands out as the best of the worst.
If all the nerds constantly buy crap as soon as it comes out and then get bored progressively, then they really can be considered a really terrible segment to base your analysis on due to their mercurial spending habits.

"The trade of business selling and renting games is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video game consoles is still growing."
Since the trade is doing fine and more suckers are buying the crappy console, then who cares that a bunch of nerds who bought the gaming consoles 6 months ago are getting tired of their toys. As soon as one nerd gets tired another nerd will explode up from the bowels of an internet cafe to buy whatever console/game or other trash the Gaming Distributor is trying to peddle.

So this weakens the argument that the Game Distributors are in trouble because it essentially provides evidence supporting the fact that the early buyers are a bunch of fools with an infinite supply of money and a finite supply of intelligence.

A) Already know this thanks to the premise, doesn't really tell me anything.
B) I don't underst and this sentence and it caused a trainwreck in my head, but what I gathered was who gives cares about game features?
C) The complaint I have is that the way B) was written caused a trainwreck in my head.
E) If the crappy video game distributor has to deal with a less crappier competitor all hell will break loose!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Business Development (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2014, 08:59
The answer is D. As it says that early buyers are quick to tire of them. Also the argument based its conclusion that the console will become outdated on the fact that early buyers have quickly lost interest in it. Option D states that the early buyers are more than quick to tire and gives the inference that later buyers would not be that quick to lose interest in consoles and therefore game console market would not be outdated so early.
Hope I am clear.
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2014, 08:59