Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Six months or so after getting a video game console, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 974

Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 00:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:29) correct 55% (02:02) wrong based on 350 sessions
Six months or so after getting a video game console, the market becomes saturated until there is one in 80 percent of homes. Early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining games to play on the gaming console. The trade of business selling and renting games is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video game consoles is still growing. But, clearly, once the market for
game consoles is saturated, businesses distributing games face hard times.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) The market for game consoles would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.
(B) Among the items handled by video games distributors are many games specifically produced as game features
(C) Few of early buyers of video game consoles raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail

Let me know your ans?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 974

Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 00:47
Six months or so after getting a video game console, the market becomes saturated until there is one in 80 percent of homes. Early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining games to play on the gaming console. The trade of business selling and renting games is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video game consoles is still growing. But, clearly, once the market for

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) The market for game consoles would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.
(B) Among the items handled by video games distributors are many games specifically produced as game features
(C) Few of early buyers of video game consoles raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail

ans is D,
pls OA if it is not correct?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 37

Re: game consoles [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 20:28
According to me B is correct as it weakens the conclusion..
How can D be correct.
IMO B

Thanks,
VP

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: game consoles [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 21:27
feruz77 wrote:

ans is D,
pls OA if it is not correct?

is the OA D

vigneshpandi wrote:
According to me B is correct as it weakens the conclusion..
How can D be correct.
IMO B

@vigneshpandi, can u explain why u think it shud be B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: game consoles [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 10:03
hw abt B?
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 119 [2] , given: 50

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 18:08
This post received
KUDOS
feruz77 wrote:

Let me know your ans?

My answer is B. Here are the reasons.

Option A: This is introducing another condition but the conclusion clearly stated [highlight]"once the market for game consoles is saturated"[/highlight]. Eliminated.
Option C: Few customers have raised complaints however to weaken the claim we would have to assume that those customers would buy new products as they are launched to address their defect. Also "few" customers means few opportunities to distribute and hence the hard times mentioned in the argument would still be a reality. Eliminated.
Option D: Strengthen the claim. Eliminated.
Option E: Again strengthens the claim and hence eliminated.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 20:58
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: game consoles [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 22:50
I think D is the correct option. Here is my take on this problem:

Conclusion: The trade of business selling and renting games is growing because homes with video game consoles is still growing. Once the market for game consoles is 1 in 80, businesses distributing games will face difficulty.

Premise1: Early buyers loose interest in obtaining games to play on the gaming console.
Premise 2:6 months after getting a video game console, the market becomes saturated until there is 1 in 80 percent of homes.
Premise 3:The trade of business selling and renting games is still buoyant.
Premise 4:The number of homes with video game consoles is still growing.

Assumption1: The market is saturated because of the buying practice of early buyers.
Assumption2: Buying practice of early buyer will not change.
Assumption3: The number of houses all together will not change making 1 in 80 unattainable.
Assumption4: No new console will be introduced.
These are the main assumptions, there are many others I guess..............................
Any option making these attacking the assumptions will qualify as the proper answer.

Just restates one of the premises
out of scope / irrelevant
correct option, attacks assumption that buying habits of early buyers is responsible for saturation
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 23:21
IMO D

Conclusion: The trade of business selling and renting games is growing because homes with video game consoles is still growing. Once the market for game consoles is 1 in 80, businesses distributing games will face difficulty.

Premise1: Early buyers loose interest in obtaining games to play on the gaming console.
Premise 2:6 months after getting a video game console, the market becomes saturated until there is 1 in 80 percent of homes.
Premise 3:The trade of business selling and renting games is still buoyant.
Premise 4:The number of homes with video game consoles is still growing.

Assumption1: The market is saturated because of the buying practice of early buyers.
Assumption2: Buying practice of early buyer will not change.
Assumption3: The number of houses all together will not change making 1 in 80 unattainable.
Assumption4: No new console will be introduced.
These are the main assumptions, there are many others I guess..............................
Any option making these attacking the assumptions will qualify as the proper answer.

Just restates one of the premises
out of scope / irrelevant. The market will decline even if the games are special features since the market is saturated
correct option, attacks assumption that buying habits of early buyers is responsible for saturation
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 10:41
+ 1 for B..
D supports the argument... B weakens it.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 01:03
feruz77 wrote:

Let me know your ans?

the question here is whether the market for game consoles would face hard time so
i think B is out of scope and i chose A
whats the answer?
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 yrs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 13

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 02:46
+1 B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 01:21
Can anybody explain how does D strengthens the conclusion, i thougt it weakens.

Conclusion -But, clearly, once the market for game consoles is saturated, businesses distributing games face hard times.

- Considering this answer choice the market will not be saturated as the stimulus says that the market is bouyant , if the early buyers get tire of the products then the 1 in 80% homes ratio can never be achieved.. what i mean to infer is that the early buyers which is suppose 20% of users of gaming console , if these get tired .. the rest 60% can still generate demand for video games.

Please clarify .

This time , its my time .

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 20

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 03:12
My Answer: B
Gaming market will eventually slow down. Because-
Once 80% people possess Games.
People lose interest in obtaining new games.

As per choice- B,

Notice that, people have lost interest in obtaining new games, however, they'll definitely go for those games for which they have new product range marked as "game features" in the market. This should in a way keep market up..

Answer:- B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 66

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 07:37
I'm for B

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: video game console [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 08:07
I agree with B as well. B is stating that even if the market is saturated for gaming consoles new games will be sold because these will be feature games. The assumption in the argument is that even new games would not be purchased once the point of saturation is hit.

I was tripped up between the difference of Option A and what was said in the question stem. Clearly I see the wording changes but in the stem I don't know how much sense it makes to state, "the market becomes saturated until there is one in 80 percent of homes." so the market is saturated until there is one in 80 percent of homes? I would think the market will be saturated when there is a gaming console in 80 percent of homes?

so market is no longer saturated when 80 percent of homes having a gaming console? thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 08:09
I picked D as my answer choice. Does any one has the OA? I have searched but other questions also have mixed answer. Thank you.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 08:26
I pick D. D weakens the assuption that early buyers will not buy any more games.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 21:42
feruz77 wrote:

Let me know your ans?

Conclusion --> The conclusion for this argument is that whenever the market for games console becomes saturated, then businesses distributing games will have to face hard times.
This conclusion could be weakened by giving or illustrating any other reason other than the saturation due to which the businesses would face hard times.Or the conclusion could be weakened by simply giving or illustrating reason due to which the businesses would not face hard times.
(A) The market for game consoles would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.-> [highlight]This reason is itself given in the argument.So it is not an alternative reason so as to weaken this argument.[/highlight]
(B) Among the items handled by video games distributors are many games specifically produced as game features-> [highlight]this argument states that video games distributors sell many other products than merely selling only games.They have many other products like many games with different features.Thus introducing many different features in the games would help in maintaining the interest of people in the games.And as a reason for this the people would keep on buying or renting games, and thus the businesses distributing games would not have to face hard times.[/highlight]
(C) Few of early buyers of video game consoles raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product-->[highlight]irrelevant, for the simple reason that early users have nothing to do with the conclusion.[/highlight]
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them-->[highlight]Irrelevant.[/highlight]
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail--> [highlight]This statement actually strengthens the conclusion.[/highlight]

So my answer would be a B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 02:22
I initially went with B,but when I looked closer at the problem I am sure it is D.
Re: Six months or so after getting a video game console, the   [#permalink] 18 May 2012, 02:22