Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 00:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:04) correct 51% (01:22) wrong based on 273 sessions
Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining videos to watch on it. The trade of businesses selling and renting videos is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video recorders is still growing. But clearly, once the market for video recorders is saturated, businesses distributing videos face hard times.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) The market for video recorders would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.
(B) Among the items handled by video distributors are many films specifically produced as video features.
(C) Few of the early buyers of video recorders raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product.
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them.
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 01:16
This post received
KUDOS
ritula wrote:
Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining videos to watch on it. The trade of businesses selling and renting videos is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video recorders is still growing. But clearly, once the market for video recorders is saturated, businesses distributing videos face hard times.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) The market for video recorders would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.
(B) Among the items handled by video distributors are many films specifically produced as video features.
(C) Few of the early buyers of video recorders raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product.
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them.
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail

D is the best

If the trade of buseness ...still be a buoyant, businesses distributing videos DOES NOT face hard times.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 13:18
A is the answer, which weakens the above argument conclusion "businesses distributing videos face hard times"
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 13:49
If D is true, future buyers of recorders may well buy tapes in greater numbers
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 14:30
D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them.

The counter argument is also there which doesn't weaken the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 15:49
asantosh12 wrote:
D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them.

It doesn't matter what the customers do after customers buy the video tapes. They can be tired of the tapes, use them repeatedly or discard them. The fact that they will buy more tapes weakens the argument.

-pradeep

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 18:13
pbanavara wrote:
asantosh12 wrote:

It doesn't matter what the customers do after customers buy the video tapes. They can be tired of the tapes, use them repeatedly or discard them. The fact that they will buy more tapes weakens the argument.

-pradeep

Agree with pbanavara,

D does say that "many early buyers DO interest in obtaining videos to watch on it"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 21:07
OA is D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 19:06
ritula wrote:

IMO D)...it is an analogy between novel product and video recorder..........(It tries to say early buyer who are quick to acquire novelties but often tire of them quickly).
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 14:25
got D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2009, 18:08
I think it should be D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 11:08
no doubt it should be D
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [4] , given: 4

Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
D is most relevant.

The argument is that an initial group of people bought a video recorder and then grew tired of it after so many months and then stop obtaining new videos. The conclusion is that once everyone who buys this new video recorder (100% market saturation) and then tire of it will ultimately hurt the video production market.

The point of D pokes a hole in this conclusion by showing that author's test group of "initial buyers" may not have the same usage pattern with the video recorder as a "future buyer" might. In a nutshell, D states that the author may be comparing apples to oranges which means that the argument is not conclusive.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 11:15
My reasoning is the same. Good explaination. Early adopters are different than late buyers.

proccountant wrote:
D is most relevant.

The argument is that an initial group of people bought a video recorder and then grew tired of it after so many months and then stop obtaining new videos. The conclusion is that once everyone who buys this new video recorder (100% market saturation) and then tire of it will ultimately hurt the video production market.

The point of D pokes a hole in this conclusion by showing that author's test group of "initial buyers" may not have the same usage pattern with the video recorder as a "future buyer" might. In a nutshell, D states that the author may be comparing apples to oranges which means that the argument is not conclusive.

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny - Elaine Maxwell

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 22:32

the above statement criticizes the early buyers so this obviously weakens the argument
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 06:50
I'm struggling with what the conclusion is based on the responses above. It looks like the conclusion could be the first sentence, because the writer uses the word apparently, which is his/her opinion/conclusion. If that's the case, isn't the conclusion that early buyers don't want videos to watch on their recorder. It implies that there must be something wrong with the recorder. It doesn't imply that people don't like watching videos, because the demand for players is still high. If you want to weaken this conclusion, which I think means on the contrary, wouldn't C be on the contrary. Since people still want to watch videos, they will need a player. If there aren't very many complaints, then why wouldn't people want the player that the early buyers bought.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [2] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
keyword "clearly" separates the conclusion from the premise.

Paraphrase - People get tired of watching the VCR after 6 months of purchase. The sales which is high now will slacken in the coming days. Clearly, the market for VCR is going to face hard times when the market is saturated.

"Weaken" means weaken the conclusion.

(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them. -> this tells us that there will ALWAYS be a market for the product and hence weakens the conclusion.

smiddy1860 wrote:
I'm struggling with what the conclusion is based on the responses above. It looks like the conclusion could be the first sentence, because the writer uses the word apparently, which is his/her opinion/conclusion. If that's the case, isn't the conclusion that early buyers don't want videos to watch on their recorder. It implies that there must be something wrong with the recorder. It doesn't imply that people don't like watching videos, because the demand for players is still high. If you want to weaken this conclusion, which I think means on the contrary, wouldn't C be on the contrary. Since people still want to watch videos, they will need a player. If there aren't very many complaints, then why wouldn't people want the player that the early buyers bought.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 9

Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 07:34
Assumtion: Early buyers => tired of product
Late buyers will => tried of product becasue Early buyers = late buyers
D's point: Early buyers =/= (might not) later buyers so the argument falls apart.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 09:34
I was lost on this one... not one of the statements looked relevant. Thank you everyone for your input.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR: video recorders [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 10:39
proccountant wrote:
D is most relevant.

Thank you very much for helping me clear up this question. I was totally lost. I found that discussing it with someone helps to bring out ideas. When you have to explain it to someone, you discover the answer, so I recommend, for those like me, who have a hard time with these questions, read them out loud to someone. Preferably an older child or teenager, so you have to explain it and understand it while you're explaining.
Re: CR: video recorders   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2011, 10:39