Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 13:31
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

42% (02:12) correct 57% (02:06) wrong based on 14 sessions
Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining videos to watch on it. The trade of businesses selling and renting videos is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video recorders is still growing. But clearly, once the market for video recorders is saturated, businesses distributing videos face hard times.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?
(A) The market for video recorders would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.
(B) Among the items handled by video distributors are many films specifically produced as video features.
(C) Few of the early buyers of video recorders raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product.
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them.
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 13:34
IMO D
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 13:48
Aleehsgonji wrote:
IMO D

Good reasoning!
So deep!

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [3] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
i will also go with D

Here is the reasoning :-

Conclusion :-
Once the market for video recorders is saturated ->businesses distributing videos face hard times.
Cause -> Effect

Alternate Cause -> Same Effect
D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them.

Its not because market is saturated , but because early buyers got tired and didnot use the product

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 21:17
I don't think it helps anyone by pointing out the answer one thinks is correct. Please provide reasons so we can all learn from your knowledge and help each other in turn.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 4

Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 03:08
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with D.

The conclusion is based on the assumtion that after six months early buyers loose interest in video. But it's about early buyers, not all buyers. It's wrongly assumed that ALL buyers will be tired from videos after six month usage. The answer D states that only early buyers feel it. Thus, next buyer ("old") will keep interest more than six month, and thus business will find its market.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 08:57
We need to find another reason to weaken or to prove that why buyers stop buying video record after bought it for six month.
I think D shows that not all buyers will do that but only some of them will...

Am I right?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 14:53
ichha148 wrote:
i will also go with D

Here is the reasoning :-

Conclusion :-
Once the market for video recorders is saturated ->businesses distributing videos face hard times.
Cause -> Effect

Alternate Cause -> Same Effect
D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them.

Its not because market is saturated , but because early buyers got tired and didnot use the product

I love your approach.
+1

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 16:16
D...as early buyers are not the only ones using it
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining videos to watch on it. The trade of businesses selling and renting videos is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video recorders is still growing. But clearly, once the market for video recorders is saturated, businesses distributing videos face hard times.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?
(A) The market for video recorders would not be considered saturated until there was one in 80 percent of homes.
(B) Among the items handled by video distributors are many films specifically produced as video features.
(C) Few of the early buyers of video recorders raised any complaints about performance aspects of the new product.
(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them.
(E) In a shrinking market, competition always intensifies and marginal businesses fail.

Premise1: Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining videos to watch on it

Premsie 2:The trade of businesses selling and renting videos is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video recorders is still growing

Conclusion:But clearly, once the market for video recorders is saturated, businesses distributing videos face hard times.
Note that the real concluion is not "businesses distributing videos face hard times" but the fact that "Market will become satuarated" and what is the premise....some early buyers have apparenty lost insterest in buying videos to watch it...
what weakens that "video makt will staurate"?
anything which shows that this losing interest beong to a specific community of buyers and not a trend in general. hence D
Though D is the answer choice because it sounds best,it is important to know why it is the best
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 13:32
thangduong wrote:
what is OA. I see D is not right. D repeats evidence

IMO B. another cause exists.

IMO "B". To weaken the conclusion,we need to break the cause effect relationship as stated in the argument- (Cause) once the market for video recorders is saturated - (effect )businesses distributing videos face hard times."B" provides an alternative by implying that even if market for video recorders gets saturated, demand for video films might not decrease due to other features.What is the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 17:39
The OA on another forum is given as D. I agree.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 25

Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 02:50
I'll say D too.

Believe in yourself.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 21:18
Yeap D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 21:36
orsang8 wrote:
Yeap D.

What is the OA? D looks very weak.Can the originator post the OA and source?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 23:17
agree with sasen.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 13:31
BTW, OA is D.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 08:11
can anyone give a logical explanation for why B is wrong? fine D is the OA. In a weaken question the burden of proof is just to tilt the balance enough; not to affirmatively and conclusively prove the conclusion wrong.

is b wrong because it uses "video features" -- 'features' is not used anywhere in the passage

if "video features" is the same as "videos" then surely B is a good weakening answer as this stuff is "among the items" handled by the distributors; so even if the mkt saturates they can always sell the other goods and not face a "hard time"...

but is B wrong because it uses 'features'?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 11

Re: Six months [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:

IMO D. The early buyers are not suitable subjects of survey causing the entire argument to fail.

@gmat1011 : B is wrong because early buyers lost interest of videos to watch on the recorders. As Video Features are supplements to the videos, we can surely say that they will not attract the buyers. Moreover further information on Video Features are not provided in the passage allowing us to clear this choice easily.

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Director
Director
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 07:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2014, 07:53