Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Five Years Out of Undergrad, pusuing a JD, interested in MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Five Years Out of Undergrad, pusuing a JD, interested in MBA [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 16:20
Hey Guys,

Currently I am about to enter my second year at University of Pennsylvania School of Law and I have been thinking about to apply to business school. I decided not to stick with the joint program because I wanted to receive degrees from different respectable schools respectively (I think that's a decision I regret now considering how much time I would have saved, but we learn from our mistakes).

I received my undergraduate degree in Finance (specialization track in Investment Management) and Government/Political Science. Upon graduation I entered the asset management industry as a Full Time Analyst in the Private Wealth Management division at Morgan Stanley to gain some invaluable work experience and then decided to go back to school to receive my JD at UPenn Law. I have always been interested in receiving my MBA ever since graduating and my ultimate goal would be to become a Corporate Lawyer (which explains the JD). I was wondering if any of you all could give me insight/advice on whether its a good idea to go back to school for my MBA and if so how hard will it be for me to get have a good shot at a pretty great school (My ideal school would probably Tuck) since I am fairly old (currently 26) and have only 3 years of work experience under my belt. Also will the fact that I have another professional degree by the time I will be applying (I will be applying before completing Law School of course) help at all?

Any help/advice/insight would be very much so appreciated

Thank you :)
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Five Years Out of Undergrad, pusuing a JD, interested in MBA [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 20:33
First, I need to tell you that you are hardly old. Depending on age at graduation, most 26 year olds have 3-4 years of post undergad work experience so you are right in line. I don't know if you need an MBA to accomplish your goals in corporate law but I am sure you can make a case for pursuing the degree. I would imagine that a JD from a top 10 law school would definitely add to your candidacy. In fact there are always a few JDs (MDs too) in each class at top schools. For the time being I would just focus on law school (and passing the bar next year). Given your work experience at a blue chip firm, depending on your undergrad GPA. GMAT score, and law school GPA I think you should have a pretty good shot at gaining admission to a top MBA program. Even if you applied in 2 years @ 28 you still wouldn't be too old. There are people over 30 who are applying and gaining admission every year.
Posted from my mobile device Image

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Re: Five Years Out of Undergrad, pusuing a JD, interested in MBA   [#permalink] 30 May 2012, 20:33