Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 207 [2] , given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected in [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 07:14
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (02:26) correct 36% (01:48) wrong based on 192 sessions
Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected in support of M-Theory, the so-called breakthrough theory that proponents claim will unify our understanding of matter, the origin of the universe, and the functioning of gravity. This theory is nothing more than "bunk" and "hot air" concocted by desperate scientists.

Which of the following arguments possesses a flaw similar to that presented in the skeptic's argument?

1) Jan makes things up to get attention. If you want proof, just look at how much she talks about her new boyfriend, but no one has ever met him!

2) Chris must be ashamed of his new girlfriend. When I ran into them together at the market, he tried to pretend that they were just friends.

3) SoftCo's continued delays in the release of its new operating system, ViewPoint, indicate that it must be having significant challenges in producing a bug-free product.

4) Other people say they've seen the Loch Ness Monster, and some have even taken photographs of it. Still others claim these sightings are hoaxes.

5)Some fans think that the many delays in the release of Thrashing Death's much-anticipated new album mean that the band hasn't actually recorded anything. But I think that they've actually finished it and are delaying release to build hype.

Source: Veri prep

Someone plz elaborate techiniques to solve || reasoning questions ,they are taking big time and still unsolvable.
Plz Help !!!

Edit: by carcass
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 290

Kudos [?]: 2438 [2] , given: 693

Re: Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 16:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@ targetgmatchotu

I noticed, lately, a bunch of questions from veritas prep question bank posted here on the board from you. As a matter of fact, I also noticed that you (maybe I'm right maybe I'm wrong) posted them because you have difficulties with CR (indeed all we have difficulties). As such, I suggest you, aside to revise each question and the explanation, to study what the question ask you, whatever it is: weaken assumption and so on.

Look at this

critical-reasoning-megathread-145178.html

Now back to the question at end, the best strategy for these kind of questions, that are a minor question type of the entire CR battery, is to UNDERSTAND the overall structure of the stimulus and read each word carefully. repeat carefully. the key is in these such words. Otherwise are even impossible to solve and , to be honest, you are right: are among the most difficulties questions

Stimulus: basically it says that a X theory is a waste of time to unify the different theories about the universe and so on.

Conclusion: al these information are "hot air"

Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected in support of M-Theory, the so-called breakthrough theory that proponents claim will unify our understanding of matter, the origin of the universe, and the functioning of gravity. This theory is nothing more than "bunk" and "hot air" concocted by desperate scientists.

A) Jan makes things up to get attention. If you want proof, just look at how much she talks about her new boyfriend, but no one has ever met him!

As you can see from the bold part that I highlighted you have the key word proof = evidence and the second part but no one has ever met him!

So basically, A says the same thing of the stimulus.

Now is clear ?? :)

Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 207 [1] , given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 19:38
This post received
KUDOS
I think your explanation needs a little bit of correction.

A) Jan makes things up to get attention. If you want proof, just look at how much she talks about her new boyfriend, but no one has ever met him!

As you can see from the bold part that I highlighted you have the key word proof and the second part but no one has ever met him!

Conclusion: Jan makes things up to get attention
Evidence : she talks about her new boyfriend,who doesn't exist

Conclusion:M-Thry is bogus.
Evidence: Evidence is that there is no evidence in support of theory.

So (A). proof = No Evidence exist in support of A thry.

Plz correct me If I am wrong.

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 290

Kudos [?]: 2438 [1] , given: 693

Re: Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 84

Re: Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected in [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 17:57
TGC wrote:

Which of the following arguments possesses a flaw similar to that presented in the skeptic's argument?

1) Jan makes things up to get attention. If you want proof, just look at how much she talks about her new boyfriend, but no one has ever met him!

2) Chris must be ashamed of his new girlfriend. When I ran into them together at the market, he tried to pretend that they were just friends.

3) SoftCo's continued delays in the release of its new operating system, ViewPoint, indicate that it must be having significant challenges in producing a bug-free product.

4) Other people say they've seen the Loch Ness Monster, and some have even taken photographs of it. Still others claim these sightings are hoaxes.

5)Some fans think that the many delays in the release of Thrashing Death's much-anticipated new album mean that the band hasn't actually recorded anything. But I think that they've actually finished it and are delaying release to build hype.

Source: Veri prep

Someone plz elaborate techiniques to solve || reasoning questions ,they are taking big time and still unsolvable.
Plz Help !!!

Edit: by carcass

Passage construction
Premise - Background - Conclusion

A. Conclusion - Premise- Background
B. Conclusion- Premise
C. Premise- Conclusion
D. Premise- Counterpremise / Counter Premise
E. CounterPremise- Conclusion

From ABC Since more information is give in A i would choose A.

Thanks TGC

:banana

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected in [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 06:13
Would look at it this way -
Argument - X states Y for publicity. Nothing supports Y.

1)Jane boasts about her boy friend. He may not exist. Seems correct.
2) X did Y because Z happened
3) May be X did Y because of Z
4) X claims Y. Y may not be true.
Close candidate
5) X thinks Y happened because of Z. W thinks it happened to build hype.

Thus A.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Skeptic: No scientific evidence has been collected in   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2013, 06:13