Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CMU Tepper
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Re: Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges? [#permalink]
it will!!! it s a good starting position!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
to clarify...to get a high score at the gmat you need to be smart+hard working...qualities you need to get good grades!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Not sure i agree... I know folks who study for three weeks just to get a 740. I know other folks who study for months and months just to get a 500... They are people who are really good at taking standardized tests...

The GMAT score may predict the performance on first year at business school. That being said, i know of a student right now at booth, who is having a really hard time in classes such as accounting and economics. Her professors asked her to drop and retake a class the following quarter. While this same student scored a 700 on the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
randompattern wrote:
I think the reason for the strong predictive quality of the GMAT, is that for the vast majority of people, a high GMAT score takes a combination of brain power, discipline, and hard work - which will definitely come in handy at B School. Additionally, the GMAT is usually the most recent indicator of such attributes. So for instance, a high undergraduate performer may have lost some academic drive since college and therefore does poorly on the GMAT. If you assume that the most recent behavioral patterns is the best predictive measure of the near future, this student likely won't do so well in B-School.

So I suppose people that take the GMAT well before they start their MBA (for example, I'll be doing the GMAT in 3 months, applying for Fall 2012) might be at a disadvantage to those who do the GMAT 2-3 months before the application process?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CMU Tepper
 Q48  V47
Send PM
MackyCee wrote:
So I suppose people that take the GMAT well before they start their MBA (for example, I'll be doing the GMAT in 3 months, applying for Fall 2012) might be at a disadvantage to those who do the GMAT 2-3 months before the application process?

As far as I know, business schools don't generally care when you take the GMAT. I was just saying that because most applicants take the GMAT well after completing their undergraduate studies, it is often a more recent datapoint than undergraduate GPA.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts