Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges? [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 18:06
I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but a friend asked me "even if I learned from an elite tutor on how to study for the GMAT and get a 700+ score, can I use those study skills in Harvard, Columbia, etc?"

That question caught my attention. He continued on saying someone might learn from an elite tutor how to write a good essay, learn complex math, and read fast and identify important concepts in passages. But are those skills transferable to get high grades in Harvarrd, Yale, Cornell, and others alike? This is a question that I can't even determine.

I might learn skills from an ivy tutor how to get a high score on the GMAT, but those skills help me in the ivy league colleges?

I mean to get 700+ on the GMAT, you do have to know good math and reading skills at a high level, but I just don't know if that translates into getting high grades at the ivy league colleges. I heard the ivy league will give you work harder than standarized tests and studying passivley doesn't help at those colleges, you have to think critically (again this is what I have heard). This statement goes against the question, but I can't judge yet since I didn't went through this.

What do you guys think?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 16:51
can they hurt? no. yes they will help.

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Intern
Intern
Schools: CMU Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 07:30
According to the GMAC, the GMAT score is the best predictive metric on how well a student will perform in the first year of business school. It is more accurate than undergraduate GPA or work experience.

I think the reason for the strong predictive quality of the GMAT, is that for the vast majority of people, a high GMAT score takes a combination of brain power, discipline, and hard work - which will definitely come in handy at B School. Additionally, the GMAT is usually the most recent indicator of such attributes. So for instance, a high undergraduate performer may have lost some academic drive since college and therefore does poorly on the GMAT. If you assume that the most recent behavioral patterns is the best predictive measure of the near future, this student likely won't do so well in B-School. This is likely why the GMAC only reports the correlation to first year performance - as time progresses behavior changes, so the GMAT's predictive capabilities diminish. Furhthermore, unlike GPA's and work experience which are subject to so many varying factors, such as difficulty of courses, difficulty of school, how much your teacher or boss likes you etc, the GMAT is an extremely level playing field. So it is no surprise that the GMAT is a strong academic predictor.

That said, I wouldn't assume you would or would not do well in B School based on your GMAT score, whether aided by a tutor or not. If you know you are smart and an extremely hard worker and just have a hard time with standardized tests in general or the GMAT in particular, you are probably quite likely to do well in B School. On the flip-side, if you can walk into a test center and score a 790 with your eyes closed (see story-that-nobody-wants-to-hear-107050.html#p846321), that does not mean you will do well in business school - particularly in the classes that rely more on hard work and discipline than raw brain power.

So in short, yes the skills you learn studying for the GMAT will likely help in B School, but more importantly, it is the ability to combine your intellect with hard work to do well on the GMAT that should indicate how well you are likely to perform in B School
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 11:31
it will!!! it s a good starting position!!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 11:35
to clarify...to get a high score at the gmat you need to be smart+hard working...qualities you need to get good grades!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 12:53
Not sure i agree... I know folks who study for three weeks just to get a 740. I know other folks who study for months and months just to get a 500... They are people who are really good at taking standardized tests...

The GMAT score may predict the performance on first year at business school. That being said, i know of a student right now at booth, who is having a really hard time in classes such as accounting and economics. Her professors asked her to drop and retake a class the following quarter. While this same student scored a 700 on the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 14:46
randompattern wrote:
I think the reason for the strong predictive quality of the GMAT, is that for the vast majority of people, a high GMAT score takes a combination of brain power, discipline, and hard work - which will definitely come in handy at B School. Additionally, the GMAT is usually the most recent indicator of such attributes. So for instance, a high undergraduate performer may have lost some academic drive since college and therefore does poorly on the GMAT. If you assume that the most recent behavioral patterns is the best predictive measure of the near future, this student likely won't do so well in B-School.

So I suppose people that take the GMAT well before they start their MBA (for example, I'll be doing the GMAT in 3 months, applying for Fall 2012) might be at a disadvantage to those who do the GMAT 2-3 months before the application process?

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

Intern
Intern
Schools: CMU Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 04:43
MackyCee wrote:
So I suppose people that take the GMAT well before they start their MBA (for example, I'll be doing the GMAT in 3 months, applying for Fall 2012) might be at a disadvantage to those who do the GMAT 2-3 months before the application process?

As far as I know, business schools don't generally care when you take the GMAT. I was just saying that because most applicants take the GMAT well after completing their undergraduate studies, it is often a more recent datapoint than undergraduate GPA.
Re: Skills for good GMAT score, do they help in elite colleges?   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2011, 04:43