Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Skipping Multi-Source Reasoning?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Skipping Multi-Source Reasoning? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2014, 15:27
Hello,

I have run into incredible timing issues on IR and have considerable difficulty with Multi-Source reasoning in particular. For some reason, I just get stuck in 5+ minute holes trying to simply get the gist of the issue, and it kills my timing for the entire section.

In all of the IR sections that I have taken, I have never got more than 6 of 12 correct, and generally have to guess on the last 4-6 questions due to completely running out of time. My accuracy on non MSR questions is extremely high, and I have no timing issues on these whatsoever. Confusing MSR questions are taking me in the realm of 12 or more minutes to complete the 3 question set. I have gone through probably 6 or 7 of these so far and just cannot get in the swing of efficiently answering them.

Given that I am currently getting 6/12 correct anyway, is there any good reason not to skip MSR questions? On the official test, I had a particularly confusing MSR that ate up way way too much of my time and sunk my entire IR section. I do not know the weighting of these questions off-hand, but for me, it seems that an 8/12 or 9/12 with MSR skipped is far better than a 6/12 with some MSR correct.

The only problem that I can see with this approach off-hand is the possibility of getting two 3 part MSRs in a single test, which would absolutely kill me. I suppose that by the second one, I could safely spend the time to understand it, given that I have opted to skip the other.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. My most recent test scores have all been between 720 and 760, but the IR section has been quite vexing to me.
Skipping Multi-Source Reasoning?   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2014, 15:27