Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 39

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 09:56
johnnymac wrote:
With only one Boston and NYC out so far, I think there are still many for the east coast hubs left. I'm not so sure the whole country will be out so fast considering it's been a trickle so far.

It would be very interesting in understanding why schools send out invites in this fashion - trickling out by region. Does that support the suggestion that the adcom categorizes people by region and then by profile type? But even so, why can't all email invites go out at the same time. Why the few hour delays? Heaven knows that there are enough mass mailing applications out there....

Anyways, just random thoughts as I'm chewing my nails to pieces in DC :)

Get a peer review for your essays: peer-review-service-for-essays-132830.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 10:12
purpleshirt wrote:
johnnymac wrote:
With only one Boston and NYC out so far, I think there are still many for the east coast hubs left. I'm not so sure the whole country will be out so fast considering it's been a trickle so far.

It would be very interesting in understanding why schools send out invites in this fashion - trickling out by region. Does that support the suggestion that the adcom categorizes people by region and then by profile type? But even so, why can't all email invites go out at the same time. Why the few hour delays? Heaven knows that there are enough mass mailing applications out there....

Anyways, just random thoughts as I'm chewing my nails to pieces in DC :)

the best recourse will be for everyone who gets invites and acceptances to boycott and tell them the that it is their own fault for inadequate handling of interview invitations, they will quickly change their ways. Of course I will have to be the lone invitee who accepts to properly monitor their reformation from the inside, the sacrifices we all must make for change
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 10:14
Region based release has got to do with the fact that MIT AdCom (a group of 35 or so) does all interviews. Its members have to carefully plan their travel, etc. to interview each of 400+ candidates in person (or by phone in some cases) between now and Feb 6th. Region based release probably gives them an opportunity to plan their time more efficiently. :) Just a thought ...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 10:23
So if you're in NYC or Boston and haven't gotten an invite yet, it's most likely game over?
Manager
Manager

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 10:28
trollmail wrote:
So if you're in NYC or Boston and haven't gotten an invite yet, it's most likely game over?

No. Last year, in some cases, NE folks were invited after west-coast invites went out. Keep FAITH :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 10:54

Last edited by dcman321 on 27 Feb 2012, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 11:04
MIT invites about 18% of applicants to interview (according to Rod Garcia).

Out of our 200 or so applicants listed here, that would be 36 interviews (assuming a roughly average distribution of gmatclubbers relative to the total applicant pool)

So far we've got what, 4? Plenty of interview invitations left. MIT explicitly said they would send out invitations on a rolling basis starting in December, so don't expect all the invitations to come in the first several days.

Reference for the 18% figure - http://blog.clearadmit.com/2009/06/admi ... od-garcia/
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 11:45
jko wrote:

Out of our 200 or so applicants listed here, that would be 36 interviews (assuming a roughly average distribution of gmatclubbers relative to the total applicant pool)

So far we've got what, 4? Plenty of interview invitations left. MIT explicitly said they would send out invitations on a rolling basis starting in December, so don't expect all the invitations to come in the first several days.

Reference for the 18% figure - http://blog.clearadmit.com/2009/06/admi ... od-garcia/

Thanks for the article. Must note that this is from 2009, I believe they've interviewed a slightly higher number than 18% in last couple years, if I remember correctly from a recent visit.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 17:48
apoko wrote:
jko wrote:

Thanks for the article. Must note that this is from 2009, I believe they've interviewed a slightly higher number than 18% in last couple years, if I remember correctly from a recent visit.

From Businessweek:
Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 21 %
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 13 %

So yes, plenty of invitations left. Also, not bad odds of acceptance for those who've received their invites already (over 60% based on last year's stats). Good luck all!
Manager
Manager

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 04:40
mmios wrote:
apoko wrote:
jko wrote:

From Businessweek:
Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 21 %
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 13 %

So yes, plenty of invitations left. Also, not bad odds of acceptance for those who've received their invites already (over 60% based on last year's stats). Good luck all!

AMEN.
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 07:01
For those who got the invites, do you get an option of on-campus or off-campus interviews? and the date/time slots?
Do you get a period of days to choose from?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 07:08
Any invites reported on the West Coast yet?
Manager
Manager

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 07:10
sparticus49 wrote:
Any invites reported on the West Coast yet?

None. Only Boston, NYC, Atlanta, and Savannah (GA).
Manager
Manager

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 08:35
Anyone, anything? :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 09:48
jongchan wrote:
For those who got the invites, do you get an option of on-campus or off-campus interviews? and the date/time slots?
Do you get a period of days to choose from?

I am in GA and I only received options for on campus interview. They gave plenty of options for selecting a date and time, starting from 12th Dec until Jan 6th (outside of Christmas and New year week). Also, there was a note that if I cannot travel to Boston, I can send them an email to figure out other options.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.58
WE: Design (Other)

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 09:49
I got to say, all this waiting is fairly painful. Only 4 people still? I'm in Kansas City. Looks like it might be a while for those of us in the midwest.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 09:53
NeilKC wrote:
I got to say, all this waiting is fairly painful. Only 4 people still? I'm in Kansas City. Looks like it might be a while for those of us in the midwest.

Invites have been reported from Chicago, New Orleans and Florida as well. I think they should be trickling in to rest of the midwest and west coast today and tomorrow.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 10:05
jhimani wrote:
NeilKC wrote:

Invites have been reported from Chicago, New Orleans and Florida as well. I think they should be trickling in to rest of the midwest and west coast today and tomorrow.

jhimani, were those other city invitations sent out today? I assume you read about them from beatthegmat or another site? Did the ship sail for today, or are we still waiting on today's batch?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 10:25
can't. stop. refreshing.
Manager
Manager

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 10:25
you're not alone :)
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2011, 10:25