Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 22:28
hi everyone. got to thinking about the odds game here, and thought i'd share some numbers i came up with:

total applicants (2012): 4782
total interviewed rate: 16%
total interviewed amount: 765
total acceptance rate: 13%
total accepted amount: 621

round 1 apps share of total: 33%
round 1 apps amount: 1578
round 1 interviewed: 252

round 1 acceptances share of total accepted: 40%
round 1 acceptances of total amount: 248

acceptance rate for round 1 asked to interview: 98%

does this look right, or am i missing something?

FYI everything other than total acceptance rate comes directly from sloan website, or transcripts from admissions committee chats.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.38
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 00:48
derekzoolander wrote:
hi everyone. got to thinking about the odds game here, and thought i'd share some numbers i came up with:

FYI everything other than total acceptance rate comes directly from sloan website, or transcripts from admissions committee chats.

Something definitely missing.
MIT Sloan has only 2 rounds of applications
So according to the above stats 67% of people apply in Round 2 and 60% of ppl who get accepted are from Round 2. :o
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 02:09
francisroshan wrote:
derekzoolander wrote:

Something definitely missing.
MIT Sloan has only 2 rounds of applications
So according to the above stats 67% of people apply in Round 2 and 60% of ppl who get accepted are from Round 2. :o

Not only that, but in your numbers the (#of people accepted)/(#of people interviewed) = 81%, which seems a bit high.

If, for example, you kept all of your other inputs the same but adjusted the interview rate to 21% used in Businessweek, the numbers would look something like this:

total interviewed rate: 21%
total interviewed amount: 1004

round 1 interviewed: 331

acceptance rate for round 1 asked to interview: 75%

I suspect the ultimate number is somewhere around 60-70% - still pretty high.

Should be an interesting week ahead!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 06:30
Last year, Sloan's Ding Day was Dec 22, a Wednesday. Xmas was on a Saturday which leads me to believe that Fri, Dec 24 was a holiday. I'm not sure what day dings will come out this year but probably mid to late next week (Dec 21-23 would be my guess). Most of the invites came out this week last year with a few more coming out right before Ding Day. So look to get invited this week or early next week!

If you want a quick look, just go to page 1 of last year's thread and expand the 'spoiler' on R1 applicants. It will show you when everyone got their interview invite. Hope a bunch of us hear the good news this week!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.38
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 07:04
johnnymac wrote:
Last year, Sloan's Ding Day was Dec 22, a Wednesday. Xmas was on a Saturday which leads me to believe that Fri, Dec 24 was a holiday. I'm not sure what day dings will come out this year but probably mid to late next week (Dec 21-23 would be my guess). Most of the invites came out this week last year with a few more coming out right before Ding Day. So look to get invited this week or early next week!

If you want a quick look, just go to page 1 of last year's thread and expand the 'spoiler' on R1 applicants. It will show you when everyone got their interview invite. Hope a bunch of us hear the good news this week!

Good suggestion!!...I went to last years forum and found out that an Indian applicant got an invite on the 21st.So a week more still there.....
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.58
WE: Design (Other)

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 11:43
No invites today?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.8

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 15:44
Nope...looks like nothing today

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 18:00
I received an invitation to interview on Friday evening. I selected a time slot but never recieved a confirmation e-mail. Has anyone else registered and recieved some type of confirmation? Thank you in advance!
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 18:52
soccerstar wrote:
I received an invitation to interview on Friday evening. I selected a time slot but never recieved a confirmation e-mail. Has anyone else registered and recieved some type of confirmation? Thank you in advance!

You should get an email from adcom@... confirming the slot, your interviewers name, and other details.

I have an interview scheduled for January 06, 2011 at Cambridge. Scheduled mine on Wednesday, and received an email within seconds.

Check your junk mail folder. Else, contact the admissions office!
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 19:48
Has anyone in Boston received invites after that initial invites beginning of last week?

I was looking thru last years thread and did not see any Boston/east coast invites after the first week. Are we done?

Thanks! Anxiously waiting in Boston :(

Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 05:07
Everettmba wrote:

Anxiously waiting in Boston :(

Same here...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 06:31
Still no invites reported from the West Coast?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.9
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:05
There are some 15 or so invits that I have seen across this and the BTG forum. EVen if we consider these combined forums to be apprx 1/3rd of the total invits, it means that not more than 50 invits have gone out of Sloan. And going by the numbers, Sloan would invite roughly 500 applicants from R1. So there has to be a day in the next 7-8 days, when bulk invits would leak out of Sloan..

We are all thinking aloud!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:34
Hi all,

In the cover letter we have to write about how we had an impact on a group or an organization. If this story is the same with the story in on of other essays, can we just briefly mention it in the cover letter and say that this story is described in detail in the another essay or we have to choose another story?

Thank you very much.
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:37
surevyas wrote:
There are some 15 or so invits that I have seen across this and the BTG forum. EVen if we consider these combined forums to be apprx 1/3rd of the total invits, it means that not more than 50 invits have gone out of Sloan. And going by the numbers, Sloan would invite roughly 500 applicants from R1. So there has to be a day in the next 7-8 days, when bulk invits would leak out of Sloan..

The BTG forum 12/80 (interview invited/R1 applied): 15%
Gmatclub 5/156: 3%

Assuming that Sloan interviews 20% or so of the applicants, I think they have invited good portion of the applicants. Also, I suspect many people will not tell us about their invitations on the forums (maybe MIT asks them not to disclose the details etc. No one is sharing # of slots left etc). Odds don't look good.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 08:07
jongchan wrote:
surevyas wrote:

Assuming that Sloan interviews 20% or so of the applicants, I think they have invited good portion of the applicants. Also, I suspect many people will not tell us about their invitations on the forums (maybe MIT asks them not to disclose the details etc. No one is sharing # of slots left etc). Odds don't look good.

I suspect it's quite the opposite - History has shown that applicants are much more likely to post that theyve received an invite or acceptance than they are to post that they've applied.

Also, BTG and Gmatclub are not mutually exclusive subsets of the applicant population, so any analysis of the joint numbers is highly suspect.
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 08:15
jko wrote:
jongchan wrote:
surevyas wrote:

I suspect it's quite the opposite - History has shown that applicants are much more likely to post that theyve received an invite or acceptance than they are to post that they've applied.

Also, BTG and Gmatclub are not mutually exclusive subsets of the applicant population, so any analysis of the joint numbers is highly suspect.

As for the %'s I was going for "GMATclub is doing worse than BTG in reporting the invites" My suspicion was based on the fact that no one is disclosing how many slots are left for interviews and that I've seen people's posts that they got invited, but only to delete the posts shortly after... I thought MIT scared people off in disclosing any info.

I hope you are right on this tho.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 09:17
ryanfromphilly wrote:
Everettmba wrote:

Anxiously waiting in Boston :(

Same here...

Same here as well!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 12:18
Since no one has answered my question about whether there have been any invites extended to West Coast, I'd like to assume that there have been none! Can anyone confirm? Thanks :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 13:55
sparticus49 wrote:
Since no one has answered my question about whether there have been any invites extended to West Coast, I'd like to assume that there have been none! Can anyone confirm? Thanks :)

None so far. I am also in Westcoast and have not heard anything - ding or interview. Lets keep waiting
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2011, 13:55