Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.27
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 06:53
This post received
KUDOS
purpleshirt wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but will they send a physical welcome packet, similar to other schools? There's no mention in the acceptance letter, and it seems like most of the information is on the welcome website. I just wanted to make sure to keep an eye out since I am moving and sort of in between locations right now. Thanks!

I asked someone in the admitted students google group and they said to expect a packet in the mail this week or early next.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 7

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 18:25
This post received
KUDOS
Sloan has been sending tons of non-academic e-mails recently. Second only to my mom's "forwards".
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas, Stanford, MIT Sloan, INSEADw/$$
WE 1: Five years in hi-tech in sales/marketing roles
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
purpleshirt wrote:
Belyok wrote:
Hi purpleshirt,

I know that scholarships are quite rare, but I ticked the "consider me for scholarships" box, so am still keeping fingers crossed - who knows! =)
As for the TA positions, I know they pay around 18K/year. You would probably agree that's not the amount that really help to pay off the debt, and the competition to get one is said to be really tough.

I also heard that there is 30% tax on all scholarships in the US. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks!

Hey Belyok,
Definitely best wishes for receiving scholarships! Sure, $18K is not the king's ransom but it's also not a drop in the bucket. Every little bit helps, right? I heard the competition is hard for the best paying positions but there are enough opportunities for everyone. Re tax, yes - there is a 30% tax for non-citizens, but it seems like it can be reduced to 14%? I'm not sure about these things though.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/int ... 49,00.html
In general, the taxable portion of a scholarship or fellowship paid to a NONRESIDENT ALIEN is subject to Federal income tax withholding at the rate of 30%, unless the payments are exempt from tax under the Internal Revenue Code or a tax treaty. However, payees who are temporarily present in the United States in F-1, J-1, M-1, Q-1, or Q-2 nonimmigrant status are subject to a reduced 14% withholding rate on the taxable portion of the grant because such individuals are considered to be engaged in a U.S. trade or business under Internal Revenue Code section 871(c).

Purpleshirt,

Thanks a lot for the information!
The news I got from the current students awarded scholarships is that any scholarship that is meant to pay for tuition is tax free. If you get some merit award that includes tuition + living expenses coverage, the latter part will be subject to a 30% tax. So in MIT's case the only thing one could hope for is actually a reduction in the cost of tuition, so taxation is not applicable.

Hope this helps!

R1 guys, any schloraship news? =)

"A leader is the one who climbs the tallest tree, surveys the entire situations, and yells, 'Wrong jungle!'" - Stephen Covey

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 39

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Belyok wrote:
purpleshirt wrote:
regopark wrote:
any update for the scholarship for R1 admit?

Funny they did not mention anything financial at the AdMIT weekend. No word over here about fellowship/scholarships.

One thing I noticed is that they fund A LOT of travel and student-led projects (action-learning labs), which is something other schools don't do. Consequently, I think they move scholarship budget to fund these activities.

What do you mean by "fund"? Do they buy you the tickets? =)

My understanding is yes. See this article about China Lab, as an example. http://mitsloanblog.typepad.com/ted/200 ... -labs.html "Your airfare and hotel are paid by MIT."

Did you attend this past AdMIT weekend? Current students who participated in the different labs (and other projects, both domestic and internationally) are able to get school funding and course credit for things they are interested in doing. "Treks" to visit companies on the other hand are funded by students.

Get a peer review for your essays: peer-review-service-for-essays-132830.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
dairong wrote:
Quote:
Can you let us know how many slots were available, and how many were filled up in SFO?

There are 14 slots (out of 40) still available in SFO.

Thanks for sharing. That's not really the news I wanted to hear, but it's good to know. The wait continues...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
golantrevize wrote:
thanks, dairong. When are the interviews going to be held? I am trying to get an idea of how much time is left - the fewer the no of days left, the lesser the probability of them increasing the no of slots. :|

For SFO, the interview dates are March 13-16 inclusive. However, I read on BTG (http://beatthegmat.com/mba/school/mit-s ... a/comments) where someone was invited but with no slots left, so I wouldn't lose hope yet.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2012, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
sashka0016 wrote:
Invited to interview. So excited!!!

Congrats!!!!

Good luck to all R2-ers! The people I've met so far from R1 admits have proven to be absolutely fantastic, so I can't wait to double our numbers with superstars from R2 :)

Also, I want to correct a myth that's circulating on BTG. I'm not logged in there (prefer GC for the better interface!) but I know there's a lot of overlap users. At AdMIT weekend, Rod Garcia did indeed share that the R1 admitted students' average GMAT was 750. This was confirmed later on when several students approached him later on. 140-ish people did not mistakenly hear 715. I know I was definitely shocked and initially thought someone made an erroneous calculation. He says they hesitated sharing this number since they do NOT want to deter applicants, and it usually drops with R2. I'm guessing the overall year is going to be around 725.

Also, some other fun facts to share (I know I would have been dying to know these numbers as an applicant since I love numbers). About 4000 applicants applied for R1 alone. This could mean Sloan is approaching the biggest applicant pool they've ever had, since last year was about 4800. More people could also just be applying for R1. About 325 were accepted, making the acceptance rate about 8%. There were ~140 present at AdMIT weekend, so about 43% of admits. I'm not sure if that includes significant others though.

Now I wonder if Sloan is going to see the historical ~50% offer acceptance rate from admitted students.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
toiysam wrote:
kb2112 wrote:
R2/Received invitation to interview/SF

All - just a status update - I received an invitation to interview and scheduled mine for next week. Currently, three slots are remaining, but have hope! When I went to schedule mine, there were fewer than ten left. Fingers crossed for the fellow R2 applicants.

Just throwing a few questions out there:

1) What % of interviewees ultimately receive an offer for admission?
2) To those interviewing at satellite locations - did you interviewer seem tired/more weary towards the end of the day? I'm not sure if it's better to leave the last impression or speak to the interviewer when he/she has already had a full day.

1. Last year i think it was 60%.
2. I interviewed at satellite city the last day and the last slot. Actually i think it helped me. Since she had no rush, we spoke for more than 1:30 hours. Great talk (just two interview questions), then we started discussing about life, politics, social development, books, golf, etc.

Whatever time you decide for your interview beware of 'decision fatigue'. More on this can be found here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magaz ... wanted=all
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
Belyok wrote:
Any news on scholarships for R1 admits?

from the admitted students google group: "....Dean's fellowships had been awarded, but Forte Fellowships for women had not, and to keep checking our email throughout the week...."

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 5

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
kmackattack wrote:
purpleshirt wrote:
kmackattack wrote:
Does anyone think it would help to write the adcom and reiterate interest? I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and didn't think it went too hot. I sent my interviewer a thank you note that was a little lengthier than the notes I sent to my interviewers at other schools, but I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing. How much does the interview matter at Sloan anyways?

Hey sorry to hear about the interview. Hopefully it's not as bad as you thought - we are our own worst enemies! I thought I seriously bombed another school interview and still got in with scholarship, so hope the same works out for you!

That said, I'm not sure how much a note just to reiterate interest would help, unless you have something new or interesting to share. Since it's been a few weeks since your interview, maybe there's a new development at work/ECs that you could use as your "reason" but also slide in there how interested you are after speaking with more current students/alums.

My understanding is that interviews are pretty important - and that goes for every school. What top 20 school doesn't weigh the interview heavily?? It's all about gauging fit. They only admit 50-60% of interviewed applicants (similar to HBS, etc) so it's not just gesture but a definite screen.

Hope it works out! Others care to weigh in?

I'll spare the gory details of my interview, but I basically walked out going "what the @#$%". My interviewer was one tough cookie. I meant more how important is the interview when it's evaluated with the rest of your application at Sloan... if it didn't go well, could other really stellar areas of your application make up for it? Or does a bad interview equal instant ding? My sense is that it varies from school to school but honestly, what do I know?

I also had an interview that I thought I totally bombed at another school. When I walked out of the interview I pretty much had the same reaction as you. It turns out I got accepted...I think it is really hard to predict and I think a lot of times we are a lot harder on ourselves than the interviewer probably is (at least I am). So while I thought the interview was terrible, it was probably mediocre. I think the interview for the most part (unless you say or do something that shows a complete lack of fit) is just another data point like your essays, gmat, gpa, etc. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to dwell on it.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
SealTeamCeltics wrote:
In the interest of horribly jinxing myself...does anyone know when the admitted student weekend will be for Round 2?

May 3-5, 2012. Thursday is just a welcome dinner.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 5

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
sbrazil wrote:
Do MIT make calls or just realease the decision by e-mail?
What time do they usually send it??

I scrolled back a few pages (page 29) to see when R1 notifications went out. It looks like they were sent out a little before 8pm eastern. Seems like an email when out and then some people also mentioned getting a call. R1 admits could probably shed a little more light on this. I will be anxiously waiting...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 13:35
This post received
KUDOS
aln4407 wrote:
sbrazil wrote:
Do MIT make calls or just realease the decision by e-mail?
What time do they usually send it??

I scrolled back a few pages (page 29) to see when R1 notifications went out. It looks like they were sent out a little before 8pm eastern. Seems like an email when out and then some people also mentioned getting a call. R1 admits could probably shed a little more light on this. I will be anxiously waiting...

Admits will get calls from current 1st year students - either before or after the email goes out. A very nice touch. I got my call around 7:30pm and then the email came a little bit after that. I'm sure that some admits will NOT get calls due to logistical reasons, so don't freak out if you see the email first and didn't get a call. Some other people also got calls after they saw the email.

That said, it is a GRUESOME wait. It sucks to have to wait the entire day and then stare anxiously at the phone or inbox. But you've waited this long, and the end is near!! :) BEST OF LUCK.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
Elena1985 wrote:
Has anyone from R1 sloan matriculated Admits got a notification that the background check is over? It's been a month since they started my check but I still have no info whatsoever. They contacted both my university and my current employer already. Just wondering....

I was contacted by the verification company to help them get a hold of my past employers. After I provided all the info, I followed up on the status and this is what I was told:

"There are different associates or managers who may work on your file from employment to academics, etc., on behalf of your school. If I have contacted you regarding employment verification, I may get back to you with some follow-up. It is not our policy, however, to convey to each student the overall status of the total verification, but the university's upon completion for their students. In general, if you are not hearing from us, you may assume that all is going along well."
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.27
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 MIT Sloan Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 10:35
Hi all,

I'm planning on applying R1 to Sloan.

that being said, when I checked the MIT Website, the Essays listed are for "Fall 2011" entry, which I took to mean last year. Do you think they just didn't bother to change the year or will those Essays potentially change at some point?

Also, Has anyone had success starting an online application? I went to the login page, but despite mentioning a "create account" button, I don't see it.

Good Luck to all!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 MIT Sloan Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 11:03
I don't think the Essays for 2012 are released yet.. Not on the Sloan website.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Columbia

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 MIT Sloan Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 14:56
These are last years questions I believe. 2012 haven't been released

Posted from my mobile device Image
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 MIT Sloan Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 18:10
yes these are last year essays however the deadlines are up so put em up for now Will post the new essays, if and when they come up

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 MIT Sloan Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 10:45
Wow is Oct 25th really the earliest deadline?

Kind of nice, all my other apps are due early in the month, so spreads it out a bit.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 MIT Sloan Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 11:49
In for Rd 1
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 MIT Sloan Applicants !!!   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2011, 11:49