Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 5

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
kmackattack wrote:
purpleshirt wrote:
kmackattack wrote:
Does anyone think it would help to write the adcom and reiterate interest? I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and didn't think it went too hot. I sent my interviewer a thank you note that was a little lengthier than the notes I sent to my interviewers at other schools, but I'm wondering if there's anything else worth doing. How much does the interview matter at Sloan anyways?

Hey sorry to hear about the interview. Hopefully it's not as bad as you thought - we are our own worst enemies! I thought I seriously bombed another school interview and still got in with scholarship, so hope the same works out for you!

That said, I'm not sure how much a note just to reiterate interest would help, unless you have something new or interesting to share. Since it's been a few weeks since your interview, maybe there's a new development at work/ECs that you could use as your "reason" but also slide in there how interested you are after speaking with more current students/alums.

My understanding is that interviews are pretty important - and that goes for every school. What top 20 school doesn't weigh the interview heavily?? It's all about gauging fit. They only admit 50-60% of interviewed applicants (similar to HBS, etc) so it's not just gesture but a definite screen.

Hope it works out! Others care to weigh in?

I'll spare the gory details of my interview, but I basically walked out going "what the @#$%". My interviewer was one tough cookie. I meant more how important is the interview when it's evaluated with the rest of your application at Sloan... if it didn't go well, could other really stellar areas of your application make up for it? Or does a bad interview equal instant ding? My sense is that it varies from school to school but honestly, what do I know?

I also had an interview that I thought I totally bombed at another school. When I walked out of the interview I pretty much had the same reaction as you. It turns out I got accepted...I think it is really hard to predict and I think a lot of times we are a lot harder on ourselves than the interviewer probably is (at least I am). So while I thought the interview was terrible, it was probably mediocre. I think the interview for the most part (unless you say or do something that shows a complete lack of fit) is just another data point like your essays, gmat, gpa, etc. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to dwell on it.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q V
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 19:12
purpleshirt wrote:
Sadly, we'll probably never know how it all works. I'm surprised there's no ex-adcom spill all book. Wait, no...they become "consultants" and charge kids $3K+ for their secret sauce.

Anyways, to make it even more complicated, we're probably not just evaluated by our own merits but also if adcom thinks they need another ibanker, non-profit, certain gender/race, etc.

So true! After seeing the poets & quants data on how few non-top 25 undergraduates get accepted into HBS & Wharton, I'm a little surprised they haven't been sued yet for falsely presenting a sense of equal opportunity.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 06:07
So today is the day when R1 admitted students are going to confirm their offers. Hopefully we will see some invites on the forum :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 06:52
cognizant2001 wrote:
So today is the day when R1 admitted students are going to confirm their offers. Hopefully we will see some invites on the forum :)

I'm not holding my breath! It would be a welcome surprise though :)
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 26

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:42
Just got dinged

UCLA it is
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:44
Dinged as well :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:47
Ding! I had thought I would be a good fit for MIT but I didn't have that much hope since not receiving any interview invite!
I am very happy with the options I already have anyways so no biggie...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:50
Also dinged.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q V

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:53
Is this for R2? Isn't the decision date April 2nd?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:36
DINGED!!! These Schools have only one mantra ... blue chip, vagabond and thats it.... If you are Indian, Male and for some reason you did a mistake of doing anything with computer, you are out!!! :) Anyways ... very frustrated.... need a drink!!! :) :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:06
krazo wrote:
Just got dinged

UCLA it is

Dinged here too. I expect the same treatment with Stanford, so I'll hopefully be joining you at UCLA.

788512AM wrote:
DINGED!!! These Schools have only one mantra ... blue chip, vagabond and thats it.... If you are Indian, Male and for some reason you did a mistake of doing anything with computer, you are out!!! :) Anyways ... very frustrated.... need a drink!!! :) :)

I couldn't agree with you more, though you can add "white US male with anything other than consulting or IB on resume". I spent 10 years across 2 big companies building a resume I thought would be worthy of these schools. I've lived some of the businesses cases these schools teach. I was the only person in those positions who didn't already have an elite tier MBA. I've done years of strategy work on decisions as big as $2B. Yet, I was told in a ding report that my experience is "boring" simply because of my titles. How more superficial can you get?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:24
Gone4it wrote:
I've lived some of the businesses cases these schools teach. I was the only person in those positions who didn't already have an elite tier MBA.

Maybe you don't need the degree, then? I, for one, want the MBA to be in your shoes. You already have that except you haven't spent 200k.
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:44
jjoeteller wrote:
Gone4it wrote:
I've lived some of the businesses cases these schools teach. I was the only person in those positions who didn't already have an elite tier MBA.

Maybe you don't need the degree, then? I, for one, want the MBA to be in your shoes. You already have that except you haven't spent 200k.

It doesn't diminished my need...it's simply different. I run into my own ceilings pursuing certain jobs not having checked the MBA box; and while my experience taught me a lot about how corporations think, operate, and make decisions, I've learned very little about starting your own entrepreneurial endeavor.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.13

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 10:26
Those who were dinged... did you interview and then get dinged or no interview?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 32

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 10:45
kmackattack wrote:
Those who were dinged... did you interview and then get dinged or no interview?

Ding, no interview.

Just heard this morning.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:38
I did not get anything today. Whats up with that? I dont want to fall into the delusion that I will get an invite or waitlist for not getting anything today. I am sure my rejection is also on its way or in another incomming wave of decisions tomorrow or april 2nd.

:(
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 32

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:54
fsaq wrote:
I did not get anything today. Whats up with that? I dont want to fall into the delusion that I will get an invite or waitlist for not getting anything today. I am sure my rejection is also on its way or in another incomming wave of decisions tomorrow or april 2nd.

:(

As they say, it's not over 'til it's over. Don't give up hope until you get the email that says "Your decision is available online."
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 07:24
Gone4it wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more, though you can add "white US male with anything other than consulting or IB on resume". I spent 10 years across 2 big companies building a resume I thought would be worthy of these schools. I've lived some of the businesses cases these schools teach. I was the only person in those positions who didn't already have an elite tier MBA. I've done years of strategy work on decisions as big as $2B. Yet, I was told in a ding report that my experience is "boring" simply because of my titles. How more superficial can you get?

Consulting work experience is no hall pass. I work for a very prestigious firm and have been dinged by everyone from Wharton to Yale.

Don't stress, fellow dingers. Going to a less prestigious school probably won't diminish your chances of making it in your career of choice. Maybe you won't start off at Goldman or McKinsey, but then again, most people who graduate from HBS don't either.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 07:47
any idea on what to expect this week?
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [3] , given: 39

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
Gone4it wrote:

How superficial can YOU get??? I'm glad the adcom smelled the poor sportsmanship through your apps. Seriously, your reaction is to criticize the process and stereotype successful applicants? I have met some of the most amazing and diverse people through Sloan events for admitted students, and white US males have apparently been very successful in finding careers outside of consulting or IB - contrary to "popular belief".

I don't imply that your WE is not impressive or that you're not well accomplished. Everyone here is definitely qualified. But maybe the writing was a bit off or the stories just didn't resonate. But whatever the reason, start reevaluating yourself in the mirror instead of assuming we're all blue chip or vagabonds.

Get a peer review for your essays: peer-review-service-for-essays-132830.html

Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2012, 07:50