Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 18:45
Thanks - helpful

OptimisticApplicant wrote:
Not a whole lot of info to go off of, but here's my $0.02...

Go with the family issue. The other components of Sloan's app are geared towards revealing professional stories - seems like a good opportunity to write about something personal.

Use the example with your own idea - it likely better show cases your creative problem solving skills.

Good luck!

str1der wrote:
I felt I was ready with my ideas for this App and suddenly today, I have two essay themes, one for each essay, that I think are much better than what I wrote in the first place. Now, hence, I have two versions of each essay and a confused mind on which one to go with.

- For the personal essay, one is a theme that deals with a family issue and how I worked to support my family while the other is on how I dealt with not getting a promotion at work despite being a top performer with a perfect score on my annual evaluation, and how after moving on, I have achieved much more recognition in my current role.
Cons for the first: I guess a lot of ppl will write this, so I feel I may not be able to differentiate myself enough. However, this affects people in addition to me and hence is more 'meaningful'
Cons for the second: Again, a sizeable number would have this setback, and differentiation will be tough. However, this is more inward looking and affects only me

- For the convincing essay, both themes are professional, but in one I persuaded multiple stakeholders to go along with a proposed idea that fundamentally changed the company's staffing model. The second is not really an idea of mine, but definitely involved more direct persuasion

Thoughts? (I know you dont have adequate info on the essays or my background, but I would appreciate comments based only on the above for now)

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Retired Moderator

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 18:47
Yes. The family issue thing is from 2008-09, but i guess that would be alright

kingfalcon wrote:
str1der wrote:
I felt I was ready with my ideas for this App and suddenly today, I have two essay themes, one for each essay, that I think are much better than what I wrote in the first place. Now, hence, I have two versions of each essay and a confused mind on which one to go with.

- For the personal essay, one is a theme that deals with a family issue and how I worked to support my family while the other is on how I dealt with not getting a promotion at work despite being a top performer with a perfect score on my annual evaluation, and how after moving on, I have achieved much more recognition in my current role.
Cons for the first: I guess a lot of ppl will write this, so I feel I may not be able to differentiate myself enough. However, this affects people in addition to me and hence is more 'meaningful'
Cons for the second: Again, a sizeable number would have this setback, and differentiation will be tough. However, this is more inward looking and affects only me

- For the convincing essay, both themes are professional, but in one I persuaded multiple stakeholders to go along with a proposed idea that fundamentally changed the company's staffing model. The second is not really an idea of mine, but definitely involved more direct persuasion

Thoughts? (I know you dont have adequate info on the essays or my background, but I would appreciate comments based only on the above for now)

Did these both take place within the last three years?

Latest Blog Entry:

Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.56
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 16

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 08:21
Does anyone know if there is a date when all interview invites for round 1 go out by?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE: General Management (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 09:51
elbie wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a date when all interview invites for round 1 go out by?

MIT's pretty consistent. They start sending out during the first week of December in batches, and then little trickles here and there as the round 2 deadline approaches.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V46
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 16:29
mba2014hopeful wrote:
isharmaur wrote:
I know a couple of people have asked this, but does anyone know where we put information like: 1) explanation of why we are not using a current supervisor, 2) fact that our spouse is also applying, 3) addressing undergrad GPA, etc? I know I am probably missing something obvious, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Somehow it's supposed to go in the cover letter. Not quite sure yet how to do that eloquently.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Yeah, me neither. But hopefully we both figure something out :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V46
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 16:32
Hey! Does anyone know if we are supposed to upload transcripts for every school we have taken any classes at, including study abroad programs or transfer credit?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE: General Management (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 05:42
isharmaur wrote:
Hey! Does anyone know if we are supposed to upload transcripts for every school we have taken any classes at, including study abroad programs or transfer credit?

Yes. I have transfer credits and even an alternate transcript that I uploaded. Anyone submit yet?
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 08:59
For the supplemental information, what are folks using to upload their powerpoint presentations?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 09:12
mbasprint wrote:
For the supplemental information, what are folks using to upload their powerpoint presentations?

Just be aware that the admissions committee needs to be able to view this from an iPad.
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 09:20
stupandaus wrote:
mbasprint wrote:

Just be aware that the admissions committee needs to be able to view this from an iPad.

Right. Was kinda torn between youtube and sites like slideshare, slideboom, etc..
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 12:35
lifeofpurpose wrote:
chintamani wrote:
About the choice of recommenders, I was wondering if I can have a supervisor and a peer review from my current organization. As they will be best able to comment on my working style and about the 'latest' me. Or should I go safely with a supervisor from a previous organization.

i had a former supervisor and colleague write the recommendations, however i did have to explain why i didn't provide my current supervisor's recommendation.

Just make sure recommenders can provide a lot of details about your work, strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for the info lifeofpurpose! May I know where did you explain this? Is it in suplementary essay part, or did you do it during interview?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 21:19
For the supplementary essay do people generally send in videos or slideshows? Is it basically sending in tons of the same format like this and you have to differentiate yourself in the content?

I know there's a 300 word essay option, but that to me screams boring.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 02:06
Expert's post
hookemhorns612 wrote:

I agree with you there, but I see a lot of people going for the text essay nonetheless. Video and Powerpoint require a separate visual intelligence, and take a lot more work to make a true masterpiece than a written essay, so if you have some ideas, it is time to go to the drawing board.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 04:40
What would be the ideal length for a powerpoint? Booth limited it to 4. What is a good advice for Sloan?
Retired Moderator

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 05:05
niksworth wrote:
What would be the ideal length for a powerpoint? Booth limited it to 4. What is a good advice for Sloan?

4-5 impactful slides should still be your guideline. Too many thy'll lose interest, too less and you wont convey anything

Latest Blog Entry:

Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 05:13
My strength isnt in the creativty department for this kind of stuff, so sticking to essay...

I like this essay cause nowhere does MIT ask about your goals. My goals are a little unusual for an MBA candidate, so this is a good place to spend half a paragraph talking about them.
Current Student

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 05:29
str1der wrote:
niksworth wrote:

4-5 impactful slides should still be your guideline. Too many thy'll lose interest, too less and you wont convey anything

Hmmm, sounds right. Thanks.
Current Student

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 05:34
Dbalks wrote:
My strength isnt in the creativty department for this kind of stuff, so sticking to essay...

I like this essay cause nowhere does MIT ask about your goals. My goals are a little unusual for an MBA candidate, so this is a good place to spend half a paragraph talking about them.

I read somewhere that MIT isn't so crazy about goals as the folks there acknowledge that majority will probably end up doing something else. I 've also read that the MIT adcom is more interested in what and why you have done rather than what you're going to do.

Having said that, if you have solid and unique goals, why not - it'll probably be a differentiating factor.
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 06:03
niksworth wrote:
Dbalks wrote:

I read somewhere that MIT isn't so crazy about goals as the folks there acknowledge that majority will probably end up doing something else. I 've also read that the MIT adcom is more interested in what and why you have done rather than what you're going to do.

Having said that, if you have solid and unique goals, why not - it'll probably be a differentiating factor.

You are 100% right, MIT could care less about my goals and more about past experiences. Just a part of me after writing all kinds of essays really wants to get my message across because I think it somewhat links to my past and is really the only thing that makes me a good bschool candidate. I probably should strike down that feeling, but I cant.

I wouldnt advise others to write about being an investment banker, consultant, PE person. They dont seem to care about those goals. I am no entrepeuner (I cant even spell it), but if I had started a company in the past and wanted to make it big in the future, here is where I would state something like that.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 06:11
hookemhorns612 wrote:
For the supplementary essay do people generally send in videos or slideshows? Is it basically sending in tons of the same format like this and you have to differentiate yourself in the content?

i agree that the 300 word essay option may "scream boring", but I think what is more dangerous is that many people will try to use the video/slideshow option without having a real need to present their case that way. I think using the video/slideshow option when an essay could have conveyed what you said is worse than using an essay. There needs to be a compelling reason to use the visual option. I'm going with the essay route since I'm not presenting anything that needs to be shown visually.

btw, i quickly flipped through the online app and didn't notice where to upload the essays. Anyone?
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2012, 06:11