Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Darden School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (II)
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
HBSGrad wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
Is anybody else having difficulty coming up with ideas for Essay 2 ("personal setback")? Don't get me wrong, I've suffered many personal setbacks, but nothing is jumping out at me from the last three years.

Emphasis should be on the "personal" MIT's application has a tendency to lean towards the uber professional...cover letter, introduction to classmates, etc. This is the applicant's opportunity to swing the pendulum the other way. Think about something that is personally meaningful to you: could be volunteering, caring for aging parents, raising a special needs child, fundraising for your church. When you look back on what you've committed yourself to over the last few years (MIT also likes recent stories), strip out anything that earned you a paycheck, what really made you reflect, reconsider your goals, made you feel vulnerable? Dig deep. This question requires a lot of introspection, which is where most applicants fail big time!

https://www.mbaadcom.com

While volunteering, caring for aging parents, raising a special needs child, fundraising for your church can be personal achievements or have a major impact on your personal life...I am not sure how these can be used as 'overcoming' a 'setback'. I am not sure how the 'setback' would precede these social transformations illustrations...

I am also stuck on identifying the setback and how I overcame it :) Perhaps this is a setback ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
xinga wrote:

While volunteering, caring for aging parents, raising a special needs child, fundraising for your church can be personal achievements or have a major impact on your personal life...I am not sure how these can be used as 'overcoming' a 'setback'. I am not sure how the 'setback' would precede these social transformations illustrations...

I am also stuck on identifying the setback and how I overcame it :) Perhaps this is a setback ;)

Send me your essays. I'll give you some pointers.

hbs.consultant@gmail.com
www.mbaadcom.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBAWanderlust wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Great to see people already congregating here!

Does anyone know whether Sloan has a Sloan-on-the-Road event for applicants from India? I've been checking back regularly, and don't see an event anywhere close to India :(...

Check the theMBAtour(dot)com they have a fair happening in September wherein both MIT and HBS will be participating
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.33
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Good luck to all of you! If you make it to Sloan you will have an amazing time and I hope to meet some of you here next year.
Everyone at Sloan is helpful and extremely diverse. It is definitely the place to make life long connections and accelerate your career dramatically.

If anyone has any questions, feel free the send me a message. I will try to respond when I get a free minute. :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GPA: 3.55
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hello everyone!

I wanted to let you all know that there is a separate thread for the MIT LGO (Leaders for Global Operations) program. That thread can be found at
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/2013-mit-sloan-leaders-for-global-operations-lgo-thread-135271.html

Leaders for Global Operations is a two-year collaborative program between MIT Sloan, MIT School of Engineering, and a select group of industry partners. Equipped with both an MBA and a master's degree in engineering, LGO graduates go on to effect transformative change in industry and society through their groundbreaking careers in manufacturing and operations.

If you have a quantitative background, are interested in manufacturing / operations, and are interested in a dual-degree MBA and Masters in Engineering, it is definitely worth checking out! The website is lgo.mit.edu

Robbie
Sloan MBA / LGO 2014
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Here is an interview with Rod Garcia from August that should be very insightful for all you folks!

https://blog.clearadmit.com/2012/08/admi ... od-garcia/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
purpleshirt wrote:
Here is an interview with Rod Garcia from August that should be very insightful for all you folks!

https://blog.clearadmit.com/2012/08/admi ... od-garcia/

Yeah - had read this. Seems this will be a very competitive year to get into at Sloan. They already defered some admits from this year to next year, so the target class size (i.e. offers made) will be lower this time.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
A few questions came up as I was going through the app:

1. Does MIT prefer the GMAT or the GRE?
2. Do we have to send official GMAT/GRE reports with the application or do they not need that until we're accepted/matriculating?
3. Are they actually going to look at everyone's LinkedIn profiles? :o
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:

2. Do we have to send official GMAT/GRE reports with the application or do they not need that until we're accepted/matriculating?

Hey mba2014hopeful,

I don't know about any specific bias toward either the GMAT or the GRE. A lot of schools have begun accepting GRE scores, and as far as I know, both the GRE and GMAT scores are viewed equally.

Official scores are required with the application, but are not bound to the deadlines. You will need to submit unofficial (self reported) scores along with the application, and just make sure that official reports are sent to the school directly (or just made available online to them). The schools understand that official reports take time to process, and hence do not wait to receive the reports before evaluating applications.

LinkedIn profiles?!?!? That's the first I've heard about something like that. Where did you read this?

Hope all that helped,
MBAWanderlust
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAWanderlust wrote:
mba2014hopeful wrote:

Hey mba2014hopeful,

I don't know about any specific bias toward either the GMAT or the GRE. A lot of schools have begun accepting GRE scores, and as far as I know, both the GRE and GMAT scores are viewed equally.

Official scores are required with the application, but are not bound to the deadlines. You will need to submit unofficial (self reported) scores along with the application, and just make sure that official reports are sent to the school directly (or just made available online to them). The schools understand that official reports take time to process, and hence do not wait to receive the reports before evaluating applications.

LinkedIn profiles?!?!? That's the first I've heard about something like that. Where did you read this?

Hope all that helped,
MBAWanderlust

Thanks MBAWanderlust! I was more trying to figure out when to send official score reports (with the application, with the interview invite, or after acceptance). I realize one has to send it eventually if you want to enroll, but if adcoms don't care when they receive it during the application process, then we all could potentially save some $$ if we wait to send it. I know some schools explicitly say that don't need official reports until you're accepted, so I was wondering/hoping MIT is the same way.

Yeah, LinkedIn profiles... It's not a required part of the app but there is a space to put your profile URL.... not really sure what they do with this since in the grand scheme of things a lot of the information would be the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GRE 1: Q790 V760
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Just to add to Robbie's comment above, if you are considering applying for Leaders for Global Operations (LGO), we encourage you to attend LGO Ambassador Day on November 5th.

For more information on LGO Ambassador Day, my classmate Jane has a great blog post:
https://supplyjaneoperations.blogspot.co ... r-5th.html

For more information the LGO admission process in general, the LGO website is a good resource https://lgo.mit.edu/apply/admissions-overview/

We are a part of the Sloan MBA class and several of us will be checking this board and trying to answer as many questions as we can!

JS
Sloan MBA / Leaders for Global Operations 2014
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
It's going to be a tough year for Sloan applicants this year.
1) 5% of the class is spoken for
2) higher yield = less admits
3) a bunch of fellowship money has already been spoken for

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bad-math- ... dents.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Was able to attend a class and an info session this past week as part of a Sloan Ambassador day. The Adcom member there briefly discussed the lack of a goals question in any of the essays. She stated that it was fine for candidates to include if it was important to their story, but that they didn't really care at all. What's GMATClub's thoughts on this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Sloan's application is so lean. How are we supposed to speak to our extra-curricular activities? It's not simply enough to "mention them in the essays" because the essays require focus elsewhere. It's easy to come off as self-centered if all of the essays focus on the candidate, why they're a fit, how they've convinced a group, and survived a setback. Anyone have any pointers/thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I'm really struggling with the personal setback question. I can think of multiple examples for setbacks at work but nothing jumps out at me for a personal setback in the last three years. How are others approaching this? One of the MIT Sloan transcripts mentions that they are looking for something to wow them and some creativity...what exactly does that mean?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi, can someone give an example of a "setback" please? Just trying to figure out what is hidden under the term "setback".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
starlight1 wrote:
Hi, can someone give an example of a "setback" please? Just trying to figure out what is hidden under the term "setback".

Its fairly straightforward actually - a 'setback' is any external factor that prevents you from accomplishing something. eg, You train like crazy for the annual marathon; You know you have a good chance of winning it this year; The week before the marathon, you break your leg. So it may not be your fault, but because of some external factor, you could not accomplish what you set out to do.

Hope this helps!

-MBAWanderlust
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts