Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE: General Management (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 07:24
icaniwill wrote:
Grumppee17 wrote:
icaniwill wrote:
Yes, getting a glimpse of submitted work is great.

BTW- Do any body have an idea of (approximate) date range to expect the interviews? Is it Nov, Dec, Jan?

I am looking into planning a family vacation, so wondering what dates to avoid.

I'm a reapplicant that was interviewed a couple of years ago. Invites went out on the first week of December, usually that first Monday, so I'm thinking this year people will hear on December 3rd and a bunch throughout that week.

Great. Thanks for the info.

How many days after the interview invitation, will the actual interview is going to be? a week? month?

My interview back then was two weeks after I was invited. But you do get to choose from a range of dates that spans about a month.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 07:26
Grumppee17 wrote:

My interview back then was two weeks after I was invited. But you do get to choose from a range of dates that spans about a month.

Thanks again for this information. It helps.
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 07:35
geogman wrote:
The videos are overwhelmingly Indians....Koreans.

Some were really creative!!
But honestly I think many aren't very proper...some are quite badly edited..and people are trying to put too much information in 1 min (well, some were like 4 mins?!)

I am in no position to make a comment about Korean but I know Indians (such as my-self) feel compelled to make videos since they are always told that they need to differentiate themselves from their brothers and sisters. I think in that differentiation zeal Indians end up making videos which are again anything but unique. I might be guilty of that crime too. I think the best way to find out is to wait for the interview invite.
Also, many Indian might have travel pictures of anything but exotic places by US standard but the fact is for many Indians travelling to Europe still remain exotic.
Oh well atleast R2 candidates are getting some good tip for this one.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 08:43
There was no place in my MIT application that even asked about extracurriculars other than the supplemental part. This application was so much shorter and had so much less info than GSB or HBS it was crazy. There wasn't even places in the "employment" section to describe what you do.

It took my like 15 minutes to fill out the written app for mit so I thought that I HAD to make the video or else they would know nothing about me, except a couple essays and a resume.

BS Chemical Engineering - UC Berkeley c/o 2009

Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 10:18
After seeing the videos, i am intimidated and no my supplemental essay isnt up to par.. Oh well
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 13:28
Dbalks wrote:
After seeing the videos, i am intimidated and no my supplemental essay isnt up to par.. Oh well

I dont actually agree/feel the same way.... to be honest I didnt like most of the videos I was able to see (I think that people in this forum realized everyone could see their stuff and started taking them off the search list, so by the time I got to Youtube I only saw about 7 videos posted). However, the 2 I did like, I loved. Do these videos convey more than a conventional essay? yes they do, but to be blatantly frank, some of them were plain ridiculous for a b-school application, although I did get a good laugh on some because they were super creative and funny.

Now go ahead everyone, crucify me for saying this. Good thing there is no "anti-kudos" in this forum. :-D
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 17:22
fsaq wrote:
Dbalks wrote:

I dont actually agree/feel the same way.... to be honest I didnt like most of the videos I was able to see (I think that people in this forum realized everyone could see their stuff and started taking them off the search list, so by the time I got to Youtube I only saw about 7 videos posted). However, the 2 I did like, I loved. Do these videos convey more than a conventional essay? yes they do, but to be blatantly frank, some of them were plain ridiculous for a b-school application, although I did get a good laugh on some because they were super creative and funny.

Now go ahead everyone, crucify me for saying this. Good thing there is no "anti-kudos" in this forum. :-D

Where are you searching? YouTube doesn't give me any searches other than random admission videos? Hmmm. I want to see some good videos. Which ones are the ones you loved?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Consulting (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 22:10
I took calculus in highschool, not college (and I'm sure there are plenty of other people in the same boat). I AP'd out of the college math requirement. How are you guys documenting this?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 01:51
Expert's post
stochastic77 wrote:
I took calculus in highschool, not college (and I'm sure there are plenty of other people in the same boat). I AP'd out of the college math requirement. How are you guys documenting this?

I'm also sure many people applying to MIT are in a similar situation. As they ask for a calculus grade as opposed to the highest math course grade, I would put the calc grade from high school. You can speak to how that's not on your college transcript in the cover letter -- hopefully your college transcript actually does include an indication of your AP credit and/or you took a math course with a calc prerequisite in college to give a bit of credibility to your calc understanding.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 03:30
I wrote a serious essay for the supplement focusing on why I took a break from work, what I have been doing since then (exploring career options and doing community work at an NGO). I think the bottomline is to convey an aspect which wasnt conveyed effectively in other parts of the application. And as all our experiences are different, the content is bound to be different. It doesn't make a funny video better or a serious essay better either. I dont think that the format would matter as long as the message is clear.

PS I am an Indian and I dint make a video :) ;)

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand - Confucius

Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 16:13
Expert's post
AresZhu wrote:
The card magic one you were talking about is my video......

Ares, I finally got around to watching your video and I have to say ... it's awesome; really well done!! Best of luck in the application process :-D
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 13

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 20:01
Given that we can use the written, static presentation, or video formats in our supplemental essay, it does seem to me that a presentation would combine the best of both worlds - the ability to reveal new aspects to your personality through pictures and text. The video option would have ROCKED, except for the 1 minute limit - frankly, its just time enough to focus on one point (maybe touch upon two?). Anything more, and its like jamming information down the viewer's throat.
On the other hand, the slide presentation can be viewed at the AdCom member's pace - as a viewer, I know I'd enjoy it more if I could take my own time viewing an essay, and not have to play it multiple times to get what the applicant is trying to convey...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 22:42
mba2014hopeful wrote:
AresZhu wrote:
The card magic one you were talking about is my video......

Ares, I finally got around to watching your video and I have to say ... it's awesome; really well done!! Best of luck in the application process :-D

thank you. I hope ADCOM feel the same way. lol
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 20:18
Best supplement I've seen to date: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDzqCiHBq8
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 00:47
Expert's post
FYI -- MIT, including Sloan admissions, is closed today, Monday, October 29 due to Hurricane Sandy.

http://emergency.mit.net/emergency/

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 10:10
MIT is one school that actually updates their online application.
App status changed to "Complete and being evaluated"
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 10:55
stayfrosty6 wrote:

same here. fingers crossed :)
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 18:50
Expert's post
Grumppee17 wrote:
stayfrosty6 wrote:

Me three!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 20:19
Received email from them updating how R1 will unfold. Appreciated the details

Fui - sloan says u need to deposit 3,500 dollars to reserve a spot, and if you dont want to join later, they. Will refund 1,500. Good policy

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Peace Corps Response Consultant
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: Q43 V48
GRE 1: 327 Q161 V166
GPA: 3.44
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 22:23
aerien wrote:
Grumppee17 wrote:
stayfrosty6 wrote:

Me three!

Received the email as well.
Twice actually. Each with different, but similar, content. Anyone else have this happen?
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2012, 22:23