Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 04:16
Expert's post
Tzeentch99 wrote:
Can someone tell me the dates for interview invites? Do they give a specific date like harvard or a range like wharton? Can someone tell me what these are?

Based on the last two years' threads, invites seem to roll out starting December 6. Obviously, I don't work for admissions, so I can't say if they're going to stick with that pattern this year.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 09:40
Tzeentch99 wrote:
Can someone tell me the dates for interview invites? Do they give a specific date like harvard or a range like wharton? Can someone tell me what these are?

No specific date, so I would assume a range.

A friend of mine who is an '06 grad said she got hers on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. But that was eight years ago, so who knows if that's still the case.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 12:50
Tzeentch99 wrote:

If you submitted an app and are attentive then you should know. MIT sent out an email a few weeks after the deadline saying invites will begin going out in December and will continue through mid January.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 14:37
Lol I submitted an App but am not attentive. Did they give specific dates or just early dec to mid jan?
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 20:52
Tzeentch99 wrote:
Lol I submitted an App but am not attentive. Did they give specific dates or just early dec to mid jan?

Here is an excerpt from the email:

"Information for MIT Sloan School MBA Applicants

Notification of Decisions

Our decisions will be communicated online (through your ApplyYourself account) after 5 p.m. EST on January 29, 2013, to candidates who submitted their completed applications by the October 25, 2012, deadline. Some candidates may receive decisions earlier in the process.

If you decide to attend another school before we release our decision, we would appreciate hearing from you so that your place can be offered to another candidate. Please direct your email to adcom@sloan.mit.edu at your earliest convenience.

Interviews

Our interviews are by invitation only. Our goal is to interview all candidates accepted into the program. An invitation to interview indicates that your application has reached an advanced stage of consideration, but it does not guarantee admission. Candidates will be notified of interviews by email from mid-December through mid-January.

Interviews will be conducted at MIT Sloan and in several major cities around the globe in December and January; candidates residing in some regions will be interviewed by Skype or telephone. If selected for an interview, candidates will be invited to a nearby city where our interviewers will be traveling. Candidates wishing to interview on-campus instead of in a local city may do so.

Interviews in all areas will begin in mid-December and will continue through mid-January. Please note that regular MIT Sloan classes are not in session during final exam week in early December and during Independent Activities Period (IAP) in January. In lieu of attending classes during your on-campus interview visit, you may take advantage of our lunch program hosted by one or several of our MIT Sloan MBA students. If you wish to attend lunch with a student (or students) and other fellow interviewees, please sign up for this at the time you schedule your on-campus interview.

Out of respect for the interviewer’s privacy and personal safety, we ask that you do not disclose the location of our off-campus interviews and the identity of interviewers to persons whom you do not know."
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.71
WE: General Management (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 08:42
Anyone joining the chat earlier today? Is there any new information?

Last edited by pascalchristian on 21 Nov 2012, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 08:53
Anyone saw increase in the number of clicks for their supplemental essay videos? If those clicks are any indicator, my application hasn't been review yet or at-least reviewed completely.
Second scenario: My cover letter, essays, resume and stats were so good that they didn't even want to review my supplemental video :-D
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 13:41
And from what it looks like, Round 2 folks can brainstorm using examples from what's already out there on YouTube from us Round 1 peeps. :)
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 13:44
mrbucket wrote:
pascalchristian wrote:

For Round II applicants: The party line from admissions regarding the supplemental essay/video seems to be that it won’t hurt you if you don’t do it. HOWEVER, reading between the lines I think you’re missing a big opportunity if you leave that section blank. The committee wants to learn something about you that they can’t get out of the rest of your application (if I recall correctly, one committee member went so far as to suggest a preference for audio/visual materials over essays -- though people who then asked about writing an essay were assured doing so wouldn’t put them at a disadvantage…). It all comes down to presenting yourself as a compelling and unique applicant, and it seems like the adcom likes this feature as a new way to get to know us.

I agree with this, especially because the Sloan form does not really give space to talk about extracurriculars.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 09:47
Expert's post
mrbucket wrote:
pascalchristian wrote:

For us Round I applicants: It seems a little early, but one admissions member mentioned that interview invites should start going out “sometime next week.” So there’s that.

That's some great new information, mrbucket!! Looks like the constant email refreshing may start a bit earlier than expected.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.86
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 11:35
The Sloan is a top-notch School hands down! Good luck to all aspired applicants! God, I wish I had the opportunity to study out there...

God loves the steadfast.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: Johnson '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 18:29
ACTIVITY on Youtube! My view count just went up by 1. There is an infinitesimally small chance that anyone other than Sloan could have seen that link...
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 00:04
koteho wrote:
ACTIVITY on Youtube! My view count just went up by 1. There is an infinitesimally small chance that anyone other than Sloan could have seen that link...

Well, filter to see whether your video was viewed on a mobile app device. Sloan now reviews all applications on iPads using a website called matchbox. I'm pretty sure my video was viewed on the 10th. But since iPads are mobile, reps could be reviewing applications anywhere really, especially if they're traveling to admission events.

You know it's bad when you're trying to guess what they're up to. Martinis anyone?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 10:05
purpleshirt wrote:
Just wanted to offer some encouragement to all R1 applicants anxiously awaiting for interview invites!

I got my invite in mid-January. Invites didn't start rolling out in full force until mid-December. Soooooo sit back, relax and enjoy the holidays. Seriously, there's nothing else you can do at this point...

Purpleshirt, thanks for the encouragement..

However this post says you got invited mid December, no? -)

sloan-2012-calling-mba-all-applicants-118297-280.html#p1016249
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 10:52
olurmuki wrote:
purpleshirt wrote:
Just wanted to offer some encouragement to all R1 applicants anxiously awaiting for interview invites!

I got my invite in mid-January. Invites didn't start rolling out in full force until mid-December. Soooooo sit back, relax and enjoy the holidays. Seriously, there's nothing else you can do at this point...

haha, way to ruin my happy holidays inspiration I just received. Thats the mba process though, it gives and then takes away.
Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 10:55
Dbalks wrote:
olurmuki wrote:
purpleshirt wrote:

haha, way to ruin my happy holidays inspiration I just received. Thats the mba process though, it gives and then takes away.

you know the next best thing to do when your fav schools forum is not progressing?
check previous years -)

cheers!

and good luck all!
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 11:01
Expert's post
olurmuki wrote:
you know the next best thing to do when your fav schools forum is not progressing?
check previous years -)

cheers!

and good luck all!

olurmuki, I like your style! :) At this rate, December can't come fast enough...good thing December 1 is Saturday!

aerien

Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 73

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 11:08
Dbalks wrote:
After seeing the videos, i am intimidated and no my supplemental essay isnt up to par.. Oh well

You shouldn't be, because you have no idea what else is in those people's profiles. Your supplemental essay should convey whatever you feel it should to round out your app. I have a weakness in my profile (it's small, but noticeable and needs to be addressed) that I talked about in ALL of my applications. Being that the Sloan video had a 60 second limit, I had a very small amount of time to cover that AND talk about me. I opened with about 20 seconds of a "me stuff" (I kept it to one theme due to time) and spent the other 39 seconds talking about my profile issue and putting a positive spin on it. We'll see if it worked.

===============
2015 Wharton MBA Candidate
http://www.mbaover30.com - Affordable MBA Admissions Consulting

Intern
Intern

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 10:36
aerien wrote:
olurmuki wrote:
check previous years -)

cheers!

and good luck all!

olurmuki, I like your style! :) At this rate, December can't come fast enough...good thing December 1 is Saturday!

aerien, likewise! any odds you are adcom by the way? -)
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 10:49
Expert's post
olurmuki wrote:
aerien wrote:
olurmuki wrote:
check previous years -)

cheers!

and good luck all!

aerien, likewise! any odds you are adcom by the way? -)

I wish! Then I'd have the inside scoop on everything :) I'm just another applicant waiting for good news, like you!

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2012, 10:49