Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Indonesia
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.71
WE: General Management (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 07:26
Any international applicants from SE Asia receiving an interview yet? I believed my MIT application is one of my strongest ones, I'll be devastated if I don't even received an invite.
Haas Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 214
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 08:23
I just wish that they start sending out interview invites to mid-west applicant soon enough. Hopefully towards the end of this week or next week.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 10:49
anybody from NC, GA, FL areas got invites yet?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 11:45
I am a R1 applicant from Israel. My youtube video (the supplemental section) has not shown any new views since originally posted last month.
I know for a fact that people from my country got interview invites and I have been told that Rod Garcia himself comes to Israel to interview prospectives.
This does not make any sense?!
On the chat with admissions a couple of days ago I asked this question and was given a very generic answer that they haven't reviewed all the applications yet.
History shows that the invites are sent according to region.
If this means a ding it's ok, I get it, but the fact that they haven't seen my video is very weird to me, especially when they take pride in reviewing every aspect of your application and encourage applicants to the submit the supplemental essay.

Any insights? I'm getting really frustrated here…
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 12:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
BV wrote:
I am a R1 applicant from Israel. My youtube video (the supplemental section) has not shown any new views since originally posted last month.
I know for a fact that people from my country got interview invites and I have been told that Rod Garcia himself comes to Israel to interview prospectives.
This does not make any sense?!
On the chat with admissions a couple of days ago I asked this question and was given a very generic answer that they haven't reviewed all the applications yet.
History shows that the invites are sent according to region.
If this means a ding it's ok, I get it, but the fact that they haven't seen my video is very weird to me, especially when they take pride in reviewing every aspect of your application and encourage applicants to the submit the supplemental essay.

Any insights? I'm getting really frustrated here…


Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor, Latin lex parsimoniae) is the law of parsimony, economy, or succinctness. It is a principle stating that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected.

Given that nobody has viewed your video and that they say they haven't read all applications, I think it's simplest to just take a deep breath and trust them. :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Posts: 13
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 12:05
any invites from europe yet?
Haas Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 214
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 12:59
BV wrote:
I am a R1 applicant from Israel. My youtube video (the supplemental section) has not shown any new views since originally posted last month.
I know for a fact that people from my country got interview invites and I have been told that Rod Garcia himself comes to Israel to interview prospectives.
This does not make any sense?!
On the chat with admissions a couple of days ago I asked this question and was given a very generic answer that they haven't reviewed all the applications yet.
History shows that the invites are sent according to region.
If this means a ding it's ok, I get it, but the fact that they haven't seen my video is very weird to me, especially when they take pride in reviewing every aspect of your application and encourage applicants to the submit the supplemental essay.

Any insights? I'm getting really frustrated here…


BV,
There are two things which might help you.
1. YouTube stats are not a reliable source to consider that your application has been viewed yet or not. In order for a view to be registered on the YouTube, the viewer has to finish watching the entire video. So if someone stops watching your video when only last seconds are remaining, YouTube won’t register it as a view generally.
2. Yes, MIT Sloan does send out invites by geographic location but that doesn’t mean that they absolutely stop sending invites to a location after the first wave. Looking at last year’s patter it seems like, they go back and send out some more invites after the first wave. This could be because some people might withdraw their application (someone who got accepted to Stanford GSB or HBS). So they might have more spots open later on.
So hang in there my friend.

Last edited by MALD2011 on 11 Dec 2012, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 54
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 13:47
MALD2011 wrote:
This could be because some people might withdraw their application (someone who got accepted to Stanford GSB or HBS). So they might have more spots open later on.
So hang in there my friend.



I see this argument a lot.... but I doubt it....
I will present why in 3 steps:
1. Anyone (Let us say Joey) who applied to Stanford and got in, will tend to wait till the last minute before sending their rejection of MIT
2. The reason is: MIT could offer scholarship that Stanford didnt.
3. MIT is one of those schools which draws a very niche audience: people very comfortable with who they are, not concerned much about brand name, but concerned with what activities they can do at the school, and what they can learn. Therefore Joey has nothing to lose in waiting till the ultimate result comes out with scholarships offered. This could in turn give Joey a bargaining power with Stanford.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 13:52
FrozenTongue wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
This could be because some people might withdraw their application (someone who got accepted to Stanford GSB or HBS). So they might have more spots open later on.
So hang in there my friend.



I see this argument a lot.... but I doubt it....
I will present why in 3 steps:
1. Anyone (Let us say Joey) who applied to Stanford and got in, will tend to wait till the last minute before sending their rejection of MIT
2. The reason is: MIT could offer scholarship that Stanford didnt.
3. MIT is one of those schools which draws a very niche audience: people very comfortable with who they are, not concerned much about brand name, but concerned with what activities they can do at the school, and what they can learn. Therefore Joey has nothing to lose in waiting till the ultimate result comes out with scholarships offered. This could in turn give Joey a bargaining power with Stanford.


Nope - H/S do need-based aid so there is no bargaining power. There definitely is some withdrawal that happens post-H/S R1 admit.
Haas Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 214
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 14:22
MALD2011 wrote:
This could be because some people might withdraw their application (someone who got accepted to Stanford GSB or HBS). So they might have more spots open later on.
So hang in there my friend.


FrozenTongue wrote:

3. MIT is one of those schools which draws a very niche audience: people very comfortable with who they are, not concerned much about brand name, but concerned with what activities they can do at the school, and what they can learn. Therefore Joey has nothing to lose in waiting till the ultimate result comes out with scholarships offered. This could in turn give Joey a bargaining power with Stanford.

Why would Joey wait till last minute to confirm his MIT Sloan’s acceptance if he is one of those people from the niche audience. He wouldn’t care about going to any other school as long as he gets accepted to MIT. In that scenario he would not be the part of the elimination set anyway.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 54
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 14:27
MALD2011 wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
This could be because some people might withdraw their application (someone who got accepted to Stanford GSB or HBS). So they might have more spots open later on.
So hang in there my friend.


FrozenTongue wrote:

3. MIT is one of those schools which draws a very niche audience: people very comfortable with who they are, not concerned much about brand name, but concerned with what activities they can do at the school, and what they can learn. Therefore Joey has nothing to lose in waiting till the ultimate result comes out with scholarships offered. This could in turn give Joey a bargaining power with Stanford.

Why would Joey wait till last minute to confirm his MIT Sloan’s acceptance if he is one of those people from the niche audience. He wouldn’t care about going to any other school as long as he gets accepted to MIT. In that scenario he would not be the part of the elimination set anyway.



The point is most MIT applicants are Joeys... Their dilemma of brand vs education will drag on to the last minute...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 14:30
FrozenTongue wrote:
The point is most MIT applicants are Joeys... Their dilemma of brand vs education will drag on to the last minute...


I disagree, I would be stunned if MIT wins a lot of cross-admits against H/S. No data to back that up though.
Haas Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 214
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 14:32
FrozenTongue wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
This could be because some people might withdraw their application (someone who got accepted to Stanford GSB or HBS). So they might have more spots open later on.
So hang in there my friend.


FrozenTongue wrote:

3. MIT is one of those schools which draws a very niche audience: people very comfortable with who they are, not concerned much about brand name, but concerned with what activities they can do at the school, and what they can learn. Therefore Joey has nothing to lose in waiting till the ultimate result comes out with scholarships offered. This could in turn give Joey a bargaining power with Stanford.

Why would Joey wait till last minute to confirm his MIT Sloan’s acceptance if he is one of those people from the niche audience. He wouldn’t care about going to any other school as long as he gets accepted to MIT. In that scenario he would not be the part of the elimination set anyway.



The point is most MIT applicants are Joeys... Their dilemma of brand vs education will drag on to the last minute...


Tongue, you refute your own argument because according to your last post Joey will be following
FrozenTongue wrote:

not concerned much about brand name, but concerned with what activities they can do at the school, and what they can learn..


So in that case Joey will never be in that dilemma of brand vs education. Joey will always sign up for the education he thinks he would get at Sloan.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 16:25
kingfalcon wrote:
I did not submit a video and still got an invitation. However, I felt then (and still feel) that the essay was the best forum for my message.


I actually did not end up submitting an optional essay (or video). I felt that I had enough to say on my actual Cover Letter, Convince Essay and Setback. We will see.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 54
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 20:54
On an unrelated note, the only thing keeping me happy right now is the Thanksgiving to Christmas sale.... First year in America for me.... Whoever said money cannot bring happiness, has never been to America !!! :P
Haas Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 214
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 21:21
FrozenTongue wrote:
On an unrelated note, the only thing keeping me happy right now is the Thanksgiving to Christmas sale.... First year in America for me.... Whoever said money cannot bring happiness, has never been to America !!! :P


Amen !! ;)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 21:36
Any invites out for applicants in China?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 51
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 09:26
For those people locate in U.S... is it still only the East Coast area that got the invitation? It's so weird that my supplemental video has lot more viewers recently but not from Massachusetts... I hope there will be some good news for MidWest...
Haas Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 214
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 09:32
AresZhu wrote:
For those people locate in U.S... is it still only the East Coast area that got the invitation? It's so weird that my supplemental video has lot more viewers recently but not from Massachusetts... I hope there will be some good news for MidWest...



I haven't heard anything for the US midwest. Only a few people on the east coast got the interview invites.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 54
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 14:42
OK midwest/southeast/west men and women.... the party is over. lets all go home.. see you all this weekend for the afterparty with loads of hard liquor...
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2012, 14:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
210 Experts publish their posts in the topic Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants MBAWanderlust 1134 26 Jun 2012, 12:03
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Sloan (MIT) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants aerien 50 09 Feb 2013, 16:44
30 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants nink 897 08 Jun 2009, 16:39
4 Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants mNeo 619 13 Aug 2007, 21:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24  ...  57    Next  [ 1135 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.