Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 15:27
BrownBunny wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
AresZhu wrote:
Is anyone from Mid-west got the interview yet?

Someone on the BTG reported an invite from mid-west. Other than that I haven't heard anything.

Hi, first posting on this thread.

I am located in the Mid-west but am also an international. Received interview invite first week of December, but if anything, the early interview notice probably has more to do with me being an international than my location.

I am an international currently based in midwest (WI). I haven't received an invite yet but my supplemental video hasn't been viewed yet. May be it has been but YouTube failed to record it since it requires the full viewing. In any case my chances are little slim based on my GPA, nationality, GMAT, and work experience. We will see though.

BrownBunny, good luck with your interview and best wishes for the admission process.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 15:39
Has anyone in AZ received an invite yet? California or any west coast peops?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 17:18
@MALD: Thanks much for your kind words!
Best of luck to you and to all waiting for an interview, hope the good news comes soon.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 19:06
MALD2011 wrote:

I am an international currently based in midwest (WI). I haven't received an invite yet but my supplemental video hasn't been viewed yet. May be it has been but YouTube failed to record it since it requires the full viewing. In any case my chances are little slim based on my GPA, nationality, GMAT, and work experience. We will see though.

BrownBunny, good luck with your interview and best wishes for the admission process.

So acturally my concern is that my current application status is "Complete and being evaluated", but I my supplemental video has not been viewed yet. Does that mean my application has been reviewed, but not been reviewed completely? If that is the case, doesn't it lower my chance to receive an interview? Or my application hasn't been reviewed at all and will be thoroughly reviewed in the near future?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 31

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 20:09
yjtcgirl wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:

So acturally my concern is that my current application status is "Complete and being evaluated", but I my supplemental video has not been viewed yet. Does that mean my application has been reviewed, but not been reviewed completely? If that is the case, doesn't it lower my chance to receive an interview? Or my application hasn't been reviewed at all and will be thoroughly reviewed in the near future?

In the same boat. I will be really bummed if they reject/WL my application w/o viewing my video. I guess that would mean the rest of my application was terrible - a possibility I find painful to imagine...

(I know my video ends a little abruptly so I don't think the adcom member could dismiss the video a few seconds prior to its end and Youtube failing to count that as a view.)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.45
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 20:35
Still nothing for anyone in East Asia, specifically China? I've done a lot of looking on this forum and others and don't see any invites. But that's not necessarily indicative, per se. Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Peace Corps Response Consultant
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: Q43 V48
GRE 1: 327 Q161 V166
GPA: 3.44
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 22:21
Parselmouth wrote:
Hi, Any Africa-based applicants received invites yet?

I'm based in Zambia and have yet to receive an invite. I'm assuming ours will come out last as Africa interviews are phone/Skype-based and don't require logistical planning on the part of the adcoms. Also, save the best for last :)
1 KUDOS received
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
yjtcgirl wrote:
So actually my concern is that my current application status is "Complete and being evaluated", but I my supplemental video has not been viewed yet. Does that mean my application has been reviewed, but not been reviewed completely? If that is the case, doesn't it lower my chance to receive an interview? Or my application hasn't been reviewed at all and will be thoroughly reviewed in the near future?

@yjtgirl,
So on the same page where you read "Complete and being evaluated", if you click on the status, it says that your status will not change from "Complete and being evaluated" until the final decision date. So even if you get an interview invite it will remain the same till the January 29th, 2013.
Mr. Rod Garcia, in one of his interview mentioned that MIT Sloan’s ad-com member will view the complete application first and assign scores on 9 competencies. Then all these scores go back and discuss among a committee and then they submit their scores to their server. And highest 500/600 or so may get interview invites. After the interview people get scored on those core competencies again and applicants with highest final scores get admitted.
So Sloan’s evaluation process is very objective. So if your video hasn’t been viewed that may mean two things
1. You application evaluation is not complete and they will do it in the weeks to come. Remember that the actual decision date is not until January 29th. So, ad-com still has 4 more weeks to review your application. So have faith in Sloan’s ad-com.
2. Your application has been viewed but as I have said earlier, sometimes YouTube doesn’t record a view until someone watches the full video so your YouTube view stats are not the best indicator. In this scenario, you may get interview invite but you haven’t because ad-com may have plans to visit your part of the world (which is Chicago, I take) and they are not finalised yet.
Then again there are some assumptions and assertions here and I don’t work for the admission committee. So sit tight and you may very well be blessed by admission gods :)
joy4ol wrote:
In the same boat. I will be really bummed if they reject/WL my application w/o viewing my video. I guess that would mean the rest of my application was terrible - a possibility I find painful to imagine...
(I know my video ends a little abruptly so I don't think the adcom member could dismiss the video a few seconds prior to its end and YouTube failing to count that as a view.)

Nowhere on MIT Sloan’s admission page, has ad-com said that they will not view your video if rest of your application is terrible. Ad-com still has four more weeks to evaluate your application so don’t beat yourself down my friend. Keep yo chin up and have some faith in yourself.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 12:17
Did anyone from Brazil receive the invite for the Interview?
Tks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 12:56
NMJ83 wrote:
Tks!

I haven't heard of anyone so far....
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 472 [3] , given: 70

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 15:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hello, guys! I am a Sloan student from the Class of 2014. I am Brazilian and will be in Porto Alegre from Dec 22nd to Jan 17th. If you want to schedule a coffee chat to talk about the school or if you are not in Porto Alegre and want to talk over Skype, please let me know (send a PM here and I will answer shortly).

I know how nervous one can get after hitting submit, so I wish you all can relax and have a great Christmas break.

Good luck to you all, and I hope to see you next year at Sloan!
Kellogg Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 63

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 22:11
Could someone please tell me the formatting for the Cover letter and the essays?

I took a one year break from studies after Class 12 and before joining college? Do I need to make a mention of that? Does it need to be in the cover letter?

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 01:55
Hi Guys, I am based in HK and have applied to Sloan in Round 1. My profile is GMAT 780/M/Indian/30 Years old/ Working in I bank in HK.
Somehow I didn't ignored the optional essay compeltely and didn't submit any video. Now I see that everyone else has submitted this video.
Do you think this ends any chance of getting an interview call from Sloan? Also how did everyone end up submitting this video as it was optional? I used clearadmit and they didn't stress the fact that this video is a must. Any commments would be helpful.

By the way, haven't received an invite yet and am based in Hong Kong. So my hopes of getting an invite are very slim now. Didn't get interview invite from Wharton either. Has anyone received interview invite from South East Asia. What are the interview dates for HK/Singapore/Tokyo etc?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: 333 Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 3

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 02:06
This post received
KUDOS
vin2012 wrote:
Hi Guys, I am based in HK and have applied to Sloan in Round 1. My profile is GMAT 780/M/Indian/30 Years old/ Working in I bank in HK.
Somehow I didn't ignored the optional essay compeltely and didn't submit any video. Now I see that everyone else has submitted this video.
Do you think this ends any chance of getting an interview call from Sloan? Also how did everyone end up submitting this video as it was optional? I used clearadmit and they didn't stress the fact that this video is a must. Any commments would be helpful.

By the way, haven't received an invite yet and am based in Hong Kong. So my hopes of getting an invite are very slim now. Didn't get interview invite from Wharton either. Has anyone received interview invite from South East Asia. What are the interview dates for HK/Singapore/Tokyo etc?

Same situation as you but not worrying at all. If schools give you the choice between GMAT vs GRE, optional essay vs optional video (MIT) or essay vs powerpoint (Booth), it's because they are actually indifferent between the medium as long as you can express optimally your message. A lot of applicants "overdo" it when it comes to preparing their applications (essays longer than the word limits, writing an optional essay to explain why they did not get straight As in high school, etc.). Just wait to hear back from Sloan or Wharton. You have great stats so I am sure you'll get in a school you are really excited about.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 05:21
I'm in the midwest and haven't heard anything yet.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 05:55
vin2012 wrote:

Same...still waiting in China.....good luck to us!
Let us know if any of you heard of any invite for applicants in East Asia!
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 07:36
vin2012 wrote:

I submitted a written optional essay and got an interview. Other members of this board didnt bother to supply any optional essay and got interviews. If you can express yourself well in the required essays, there is really little value. I used my optional essay to drop in a couple extra facts about me and submit my short/long term career goals which are unique to me. I know MIT doesnt care what the hell I want to do in the future, but if i am paying $250 to apply than they are going to read about what I want them to know.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 09:49
NMJ83 wrote:
Tks!

Just got the invite today! :D
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Asset Management (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 10:01
NMJ83 wrote:
Tks!

i received today. interviews will be on january 16th to 18th.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 11:04
San Francisco invites have been reported as of today. This would also apply to the AZ/ West Coast peops in the US I assume. Hopefully there are still some more days left to receive a SF invite given that it seems they are trickling out uniformly over a span of 3 to 4 days per region, and not on a single wave. good luck to everyone, keep us posted please.
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2012, 11:04