Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Board of Directors
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
mba2014hopeful wrote:
icaniwill wrote:
mba2014hopeful wrote:
I definitely considered writing this exact essay and then chose against it -- I figured it would be a relatively common topic and didn't want to come off as one of the masses. However, everyone's story is extremely personal and if you can make it your own, then go for it! Good luck!

Do you guys also think this essay is no different from Columbia's #2 and Tuck's #3 (see below)
Quote:
Columbia #2. Describe a personal experience and how it has influenced who you are today.

Quote:
Tuck #3. Describe a circumstance in your life in which you faced adversity, failure, or setback.
What actions did you take as a result and what did you learn from this experience?

I think it's similar to Tuck's but not necessarily to Columbia's: a personal experience does not have to be about a personal setback.

Posted from my mobile device

Agreed!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Guys,

For essay #2(overcoming setback), I found the information in this link helpful. Not from a b-school, but has lot of relevant tips.

https://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... art-i.aspx
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
icaniwill wrote:
Guys,

For essay #2(overcoming setback), I found the information in this link helpful. Not from a b-school, but has lot of relevant tips.

This is an awesome writeup. Thanks for sharing. Very, very helpful
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:
icaniwill wrote:
mba2014hopeful wrote:
I definitely considered writing this exact essay and then chose against it -- I figured it would be a relatively common topic and didn't want to come off as one of the masses. However, everyone's story is extremely personal and if you can make it your own, then go for it! Good luck!

Do you guys also think this essay is no different from Columbia's #2 and Tuck's #3 (see below)
Quote:
Columbia #2. Describe a personal experience and how it has influenced who you are today.

Quote:
Tuck #3. Describe a circumstance in your life in which you faced adversity, failure, or setback.
What actions did you take as a result and what did you learn from this experience?

I think it's similar to Tuck's but not necessarily to Columbia's: a personal experience does not have to be about a personal setback.

The tuck essay does not ask you to focus necessarily on a personal setback. Eg: a failed project that impacted our promotion or something could be a setback. The adversity part, yes, is more personal. But the essay overall is farther away from Sloan's than Columbia's is
Manager
Manager
Send PM
str1der wrote:
icaniwill wrote:
Guys,

This is an awesome writeup. Thanks for sharing. Very, very helpful

Yea. I found this one page writeup more helpful than tons of others admission consultant's books/blogs. It is clear and drives the point home very well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
About the personal setback essay, I contacted the MIT office and got this reply:

Hi Your Highness:

When we said "personal" we really meant "individual" so as to mean not something that affected your team at work. It need not be a personal (non-work) story at all. Work related stories are fine.

Regards,
Harriet Barnett

Does this help a little bit more? I am in the same boat, trying to select the experience for this essay. In for R1.
Darden School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I recently attended the MBA tour in Bangalore where I met MIT Sloan Admissions Officer and an alum. I've written my experiences here for those who might find it useful.

https://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in/2012/ ... -2012.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
How are you guys handling Supplemental essay? I was at MIT grads office last Friday and the ad-com member mentioned that they highly encourage applicants to take the opportunity to use the essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
icaniwill wrote:
How are you guys handling Supplemental essay? I was at MIT grads office last Friday and the ad-com member mentioned that they highly encourage applicants to take the opportunity to use the essay.

Created a 1 min video and pasted the link.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Grumppee17 wrote:
icaniwill wrote:

Did you upload it in YouTube, or somewhere else? Not sure where is the best place to do that

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
BrazilianMBA wrote:
Grumppee17 wrote:
icaniwill wrote:

Did you upload it in YouTube, or somewhere else? Not sure where is the best place to do that

I did youtube and then shortened the link on bit.ly. The links there last a long time and won't expire. You could get fancier but honestly, it doesn't matter as long as the content is good. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I felt I was ready with my ideas for this App and suddenly today, I have two essay themes, one for each essay, that I think are much better than what I wrote in the first place. Now, hence, I have two versions of each essay and a confused mind on which one to go with.

- For the personal essay, one is a theme that deals with a family issue and how I worked to support my family while the other is on how I dealt with not getting a promotion at work despite being a top performer with a perfect score on my annual evaluation, and how after moving on, I have achieved much more recognition in my current role.
Cons for the first: I guess a lot of ppl will write this, so I feel I may not be able to differentiate myself enough. However, this affects people in addition to me and hence is more 'meaningful'
Cons for the second: Again, a sizeable number would have this setback, and differentiation will be tough. However, this is more inward looking and affects only me

- For the convincing essay, both themes are professional, but in one I persuaded multiple stakeholders to go along with a proposed idea that fundamentally changed the company's staffing model. The second is not really an idea of mine, but definitely involved more direct persuasion

Thoughts? (I know you dont have adequate info on the essays or my background, but I would appreciate comments based only on the above for now)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
[EDIT - Best of luck everyone!]

Originally posted by OptimisticApplicant on 16 Oct 2012, 12:04.
Last edited by OptimisticApplicant on 23 Oct 2012, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V46
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
Send PM
I know a couple of people have asked this, but does anyone know where we put information like: 1) explanation of why we are not using a current supervisor, 2) fact that our spouse is also applying, 3) addressing undergrad GPA, etc? I know I am probably missing something obvious, but I have not been able to figure it out.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
isharmaur wrote:
I know a couple of people have asked this, but does anyone know where we put information like: 1) explanation of why we are not using a current supervisor, 2) fact that our spouse is also applying, 3) addressing undergrad GPA, etc? I know I am probably missing something obvious, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Somehow it's supposed to go in the cover letter. Not quite sure yet how to do that eloquently.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
str1der wrote:
I felt I was ready with my ideas for this App and suddenly today, I have two essay themes, one for each essay, that I think are much better than what I wrote in the first place. Now, hence, I have two versions of each essay and a confused mind on which one to go with.

- For the personal essay, one is a theme that deals with a family issue and how I worked to support my family while the other is on how I dealt with not getting a promotion at work despite being a top performer with a perfect score on my annual evaluation, and how after moving on, I have achieved much more recognition in my current role.
Cons for the first: I guess a lot of ppl will write this, so I feel I may not be able to differentiate myself enough. However, this affects people in addition to me and hence is more 'meaningful'
Cons for the second: Again, a sizeable number would have this setback, and differentiation will be tough. However, this is more inward looking and affects only me

- For the convincing essay, both themes are professional, but in one I persuaded multiple stakeholders to go along with a proposed idea that fundamentally changed the company's staffing model. The second is not really an idea of mine, but definitely involved more direct persuasion

Thoughts? (I know you dont have adequate info on the essays or my background, but I would appreciate comments based only on the above for now)

Did these both take place within the last three years?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks - helpful

OptimisticApplicant wrote:
Not a whole lot of info to go off of, but here's my $0.02...

Go with the family issue. The other components of Sloan's app are geared towards revealing professional stories - seems like a good opportunity to write about something personal.

Use the example with your own idea - it likely better show cases your creative problem solving skills.

Good luck!

str1der wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts