Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
dreamchase wrote:
niksworth wrote:
dreamchase wrote:
How important is the Linkedin profile? Would leaving it blank hurt?

Don't think so. Didn't hurt me. I left it blank yet got the interview call.

Thanks niksworth. Did you too leave it blank for it wasn't properly built by then ?

Left it blank. My linked in profile is bare bones and it didn't make any sense to fill it specially for the application process, so I didn't put the address.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
niksworth wrote:
dreamchase wrote:

I don't think it hurts. I left it blank as well, but got invited for interview. I didn't include it because I didn't really have anything on my linkedin profile that I did not already have in my application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Asset Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
does anyone know how is the interview with mit?
what kind of questions do they ask?

i was invited to interview last week.

best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
scleraxis wrote:
Funny how this process works, flat ding at MIT. Not like I care though.

And, for the record, it really does not matter if you recommenders have an MBA or what school they went to. The most important thing, by far, is that they can advocate for you with specific examples of why you would be a good business leader. They must know you well.

I do think that this might be particularly pronounced at MIT, though (the fact that they don't care if you're recommenders were alums/if you have relationships to the school). All of the other schools I applied to asked where my parents went to school, and if I had other relatives/relations that were alums, but MIT didn't ask about parents and only had a brief optional line on the last page to ask if you knew anyone in the Sloan community. I know legacy status for b-school isn't the same as for undergrad at most places, but it seems like for MIT it really is a non-issue.

My recommender was also a Sloan alum, and it clearly made no difference.

I don't know if this is relevant for anyone else, but I found an article on legacy admissions at MIT (albeit this applies to undergrad admissions). It almost sounds like mentioning a connection--be it a parent, employer, etc--in your application could come back to bite you, so it might be an area to tread lightly:

"And I can tell you, from having sat on countless committees, that we simply don't care if your parents (or aunt, or grandfather, or third cousin) went to MIT. In fact, one of the things most likely to elicit a gigantic facepalm is when a student namedrops some incredibly attenuated connection because they think it is going to help them get into MIT."

https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/ju ... -do-legacy
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Sumbitted for R2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM

Originally posted by Zynga on 27 Dec 2012, 12:06.
Last edited by Zynga on 27 Dec 2012, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
lb2015 wrote:
scleraxis wrote:
Funny how this process works, flat ding at MIT. Not like I care though.

And, for the record, it really does not matter if you recommenders have an MBA or what school they went to. The most important thing, by far, is that they can advocate for you with specific examples of why you would be a good business leader. They must know you well.

I do think that this might be particularly pronounced at MIT, though (the fact that they don't care if you're recommenders were alums/if you have relationships to the school). All of the other schools I applied to asked where my parents went to school, and if I had other relatives/relations that were alums, but MIT didn't ask about parents and only had a brief optional line on the last page to ask if you knew anyone in the Sloan community. I know legacy status for b-school isn't the same as for undergrad at most places, but it seems like for MIT it really is a non-issue.

My recommender was also a Sloan alum, and it clearly made no difference.

I don't know if this is relevant for anyone else, but I found an article on legacy admissions at MIT (albeit this applies to undergrad admissions). It almost sounds like mentioning a connection--be it a parent, employer, etc--in your application could come back to bite you, so it might be an area to tread lightly:

"And I can tell you, from having sat on countless committees, that we simply don't care if your parents (or aunt, or grandfather, or third cousin) went to MIT. In fact, one of the things most likely to elicit a gigantic facepalm is when a student namedrops some incredibly attenuated connection because they think it is going to help them get into MIT."

https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/ju ... -do-legacy

I'm fairly certain other schools collect this information for internal demographic information only - I doubt it has any effect on your candidacy. Most people just drop names expecting admissions committee members to remember random alumni, which is just not going to happen. It ends up sounding silly and it has no bearing on how successful you will be.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Just submitted my application for round 2.
Had some troubles with the youtube video, but eventually all was solved :-)

Good luck to us all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Just submitted my app!

And thus the wait begins... or not, seeing as how I've got exactly a week to finish Kellogg and Michigan, and then a couple of days for Booth. Hello 2013!

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
solarzj wrote:
Got the result yesterday and am not invited :(

Anyways since I was planning to release some stuff of my application (the optional essay) in case I am rejected here it is ...

Maybe somebody can use it as a thought provoking impulse.

Since the whole application process for an MBA is really dry and MIT states on various occasions that it has a big emphasize on community and honors humor I figured why not making a funny video that shows my personal side.

So here it is ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59hwhAKSa_A

Ohhh god, I am very sorry to say this, but I thought this video fell into the type of things that in spanish are called "pena ajena" ... I could not watch for more than 10 secs.

Cheers for the brass balls it took to submit this though! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
It's interesting that MIT is the only b-school I know of where they don't ask for your salary. I loved that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
str1der wrote:
The MIT Sloan ding letter explicitly mentions that there are 324 seats in the MBA program this year. They have mentioned 324 twice, and specifically mentioned that this year 'approx. 4,000 applicants will compete for 324 seats in the MBA program'. This seems a step down - last year they matriculated 400+ students. Hence, even more competitive this year

The 324 number is for the entering class. Given Sloan's roughly 66% yield, that means they will probably accept around 530ish for the MBA program. MIT accepts an equal number from both rounds while round 2 gets twice as many applicants. So for round 2, the acceptance rate will be around 10%. Brutal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
dreamchase wrote:

Since they explicitly ask for it, I would assume that it is very important and have it filled out completely. Look at it as another opportunity to sell yourself to the adcom.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
niksworth wrote:
dreamchase wrote:

I stand corrected. Perhaps its just a nice to have.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
MBAWanderlust wrote:
Just submitted my app!

And thus the wait begins... or not, seeing as how I've got exactly a week to finish Kellogg and Michigan, and then a couple of days for Booth. Hello 2013!

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust

Good Luck MBAWanderlust! As a fellow thread master, I am cheering for you!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Zynga wrote:

I really loved this video; but I don't think it helped the application of the person who did it. It didn't really tell the adcom anything about the applicant that would make them choose this person over any of the other thousands who applied. While the video itself is charming, clever and very well done, it is also the equivalent of writing out the lyrics to the "All About the Benjamins" for your goals essay or showing up in a Statue of Liberty costume at your US citizenship exam. It shows where you want to be, but the fact that you've applied already shows that. Your video needs to focus on "why"---mostly,why should an adcom pic you.

Still, I give many props to whoever did this. Life is about risks, and this one was well executed.

Originally posted by mbaover30 on 28 Dec 2012, 13:43.
Last edited by mbaover30 on 31 Dec 2012, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
mbaover30, that is great advice for R2 applicants - use the optional section to further emphasize why you deserve to be admitted, not just some entertaining or quirky fact. Looking back on my application, I think I made the same mistake as the original poster...since we're all in a sharing mood, I'll let you all be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1iko-lgqk

mbaover30 wrote:
Zynga wrote:

I really loved this video; but I don't think it helped the application of the person who did it. It didn't really tell the adcom anything about the applicant that would make them choose this person over any of the other thousands who applied. While the video itself is charming, clever and very well done, it is also the equivalent and writing out the lyrics to the "All About the Benjamins" for your goals essay or showing up in a Statue of Liberty costume at your US citizenship exam. It shows where you want to be, but the fact that you've applied already shows that. Your video needs to focus on "why"---mostly,why should an adcom pic you.

Still, I give many props to whoever did this. Life is about risks, and this one was well executed.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32   33   34  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts