Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.72
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GRE 1: Q800 V770
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
xunqil wrote:
As a 1st round waitlist who has not received an invitation, should I say good bye to Sloan?

The deadline for deposit for R1 admits is friday 3/8. There may be some WL movement after that.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
ooqjersey wrote:
Anyone knows the address of the admitted student google group for Sloan?

You can find the link on the AdMIT site once you've been admitted.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
ooqjersey wrote:

I was told by an Admissions Officer that if you were waitlisted in R1 without an interview and don't get an interview invitation in March, then you will be taken off the waitlist on April 2 and not offered a place, sadly.

I wish they had made this clearer in the Waitlist FAQ.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AKPsi, ISA
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.53
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Cossack wrote:
Can anyone share a recent interview experience?
Who?
Where?
What?

I just had an interview of Campus. Pleasantly suprised. I had heard some rumors about difficult interviewers beforehand, and the interview review information Sloan sends you makes it seem very technical, but my interviewer we very seet and personable.
Asked about any new accomplishments or updates on my resume, a little bit of info on my work (since I have a rather peculiar background), behavioral questions on my experiences: a time I took a risk, a time of confrontation, a time of pride, a time of montoring, etc. And finally let me ask her some questions before finishing up.
Hard to tell if the interview went well because she seemed so friendly that I could not tell if she was impressed/pleased or just being nice, but a good overall experience all the same
Director
Director
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
I've said it before and will say it again. MIT marches to the beat of their own drum and I really dig that about them. They are kind of the hipster of B-schools. With any sort of pandering, they could increase their ranking a couple spots. I didnt even really know they had a bschool (shame on me) until I went to the MBA tour over the summer and saw their little booth off to the side.

I completely agree with this. Sloan's admission process is unique and I've been impressed with every Admissions staffer I've met there from Rod Garcia to the administrative staff. They do have a scoring system when reviewing applications which makes some people think, in my opinion, that Sloan takes anyone with high numbers. Even HBSGuru always says that Sloan will take "anyone" with a score above 750 (he even said it in his latest post.) This is simply not true. Plenty of people with 760, 770, etc have been dinged, and the admissions committee carefully considers all aspects of everyone's application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS '15 (I)
Send PM
In the interview invitation, it indicated there was lunch between 12-1pm? I haven't gotten any other information as to where to go? Is it just in the Admissions Office?
Director
Director
Send PM
lolibra wrote:
In the interview invitation, it indicated there was lunch between 12-1pm? I haven't gotten any other information as to where to go? Is it just in the Admissions Office?

I've been to lunch twice at Sloan and once was in a classroom and the other time in the upstairs dining room. I'm sure they'll tell you where it is on the day of your interview. Or you can email the Admissions office the day before. The staff, I found, is pretty responsive to emails.

Originally posted by Ward2012 on 10 Mar 2013, 21:05.
Last edited by Ward2012 on 10 Mar 2013, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
lolibra wrote:

Yeah, it's actually in the same general area of where you'll be interviewing. I'd highly recommend partaking. Besides having the opportunity to chat with current students and have free lunch, I've heard participation in the lunch is viewed positively by the admissions committee. Although, who knows, maybe that's a myth that just gets passed down from one class to the next over the years.
Director
Director
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
Besides having the opportunity to chat with current students and have free lunch, I've heard participation in the lunch is viewed positively by the admissions committee. Although, who knows, maybe that's a myth that just gets passed down from one class to the next over the years.

It certainly wouldn't hurt. The Admissions staff doesn't attend the lunch, but I've found that the student body loves Rod Garcia (with good reason) and if you impress a student, word may trickle up to the Admissions office.

i found the students attending the lunch to be very candid and will tell you how it is at Sloan...the good and the bad.

Plus the food is pretty good. they get interesting sandwiches and salads from some local place (at least when I went.)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GRE 1: Q800 V680
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
ooqjersey wrote:

I was told by an Admissions Officer that if you were waitlisted in R1 without an interview and don't get an interview invitation in March, then you will be taken off the waitlist on April 2 and not offered a place, sadly.

hi, Ward, do you know if they are still sending out invitations?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
Besides having the opportunity to chat with current students and have free lunch, I've heard participation in the lunch is viewed positively by the admissions committee. Although, who knows, maybe that's a myth that just gets passed down from one class to the next over the years.

It certainly wouldn't hurt. The Admissions staff doesn't attend the lunch, but I've found that the student body loves Rod Garcia (with good reason) and if you impress a student, word may trickle up to the Admissions office.

i found the students attending the lunch to be very candid and will tell you how it is at Sloan...the good and the bad.

Plus the food is pretty good. they get interesting sandwiches and salads from some local place (at least when I went.)

free lunch seems to correlate well to the quality of the school
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Redtailedhawk wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

free lunch seems to correlate well to the quality of the school

Completely agree, and MIT does it very well. They order a lot from Sebastian's and other local restaurants in Kendall Square. You could probably go through all two years without buying lunch...there's food everywhere there!
Director
Director
Send PM
ychang924 wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:
ooqjersey wrote:

hi, Ward, do you know if they are still sending out invitations?

From what I was told, they are still sending a few invitations. But the admissions officer also told me that the majority have been sent out already. I'm not sure though whether that's a "small majority" or an "overwhelming majority."
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GRE 1: Q800 V680
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
Thank you Ward, good luck :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
Cossack wrote:
Can anyone share a recent interview experience?
Who?
Where?
What?

I just got back from an interview in Santa Monica CA, with Jeff Carbone. I really enjoyed it . . . very congenial, relaxed, etc. He's flying to Mexico next, so good luck to all of you down there.

I have an unusual background, to say the least, so I'm not sure if my questions were representative. For example, no walking him through my resume; most of the questions revolved around my experiences working with others, both in a leadership role and as a member of a team. There were at least two questions on handling conflict and disagreement, both vertically and laterally.

And there was one out of left field: Why did you move to Pasadena.

Finally, there were the three ubiquitous questions: Why an MBA now? Is there anything I didn't ask that you would like to tell me? and Do you have any questions?

Good luck, everybody! Just three more weeks!

Katherine
stochastic77@gmail.com
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks for the insight, Katherine. Good luck with your result!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Ugh, Jeff's in Mexico. I'm in Mexico. Let's turn that waitlist into an interview, save yourself the trouble later ;)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts