Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 18:54
dab wrote:
dukealum7 wrote:
Anyone have experience with class visits and the Ambassadors program (link removed due to forum limitation)? I'm visiting this fall, and my two priorities are talking to students and sitting in on a class. The Ambassadors program sounds perfect for facilitating this, but it sounds like they only run it on Mondays and Thursdays. Unfortunately, I plan to stop by on a Tuesday or Wednesday due to work committments -- is the Ambassadors program something special that's worth changing my schedule for, or is it just a convenient way to lump multiple events together (class, lunch, info session) that I could recreate on a Tuesday/Wednesday?

According to here: (link removed due to forum limitation) , you can drop in a class any time as long as you follow proper etiquette.

Hi,

Last year I attended the Ambassadors program at MIT Sloan twice. I can tell you from my personal experience that it is worth it. Here is what to expect:
- The event starts with an information session with an admissions member. That was nice, but nothing you can't find online or on previous chat transcripts. Still, it may be a good opportunity to leave a good impression and get information by asking about something to which the answer cannot be found online.
- Then students come in, introduce themselves and share launch with the attendees. The students are incredibly helpful and friendly. It was a great opportunity to hear their stories, and find students with similar backgrounds or goals. On my first visit to Sloan, I did not register to the ambassadors program (I was not aware of it,) and so while I could hop in to the information session and have lunch with students, I could not join a class. One of the students was very kind and offered me to join him to a class. I kept in touch with him and he was really helpful with my application later on.
- After lunch, the students take you with them to the class you registered. I am not sure if I was lucky, but both times the lectures were pretty amazing. The first was by Professor Andrew Lo. I am not very much into finance, but this superstar lecturer made me feel as if this is the most interesting subject there is. Any more words from me would just ruin the experience. I Highly recommend attending. The second time I attended a guest lecture at a Digital Evolution course. The lecture was given by an MIT Sloan alumnus. It was highly relevant to my experience and goals.

I second this. The Ambassador's program is worth it. I'd add that the lunch is pretty good too. They always order from local places that make interesting sandwiches/salads, etc.

If you qualify, you may want to also consider attending the Sloan Diversity Weekend. I'm not sure when it is this year, but I went last year and I found it very worthwhile.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 21:36
Just to quickly revert back to the question about submitting official GMAT scores; I requested that my scores be made available to Sloan when taking the GMAT. Is that sufficient for this requirement? Presumably they received my scores, but I am not sure how that feature works. We are allowed to pick up to 5 schools to receive scores, but does GMAC send the official score report or the unofficial? Should I resend the scores so they arrive around the same time as when I submit my application? Thanks for the advice!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 6

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 22:42
This post received
KUDOS
Physics wrote:
Just to quickly revert back to the question about submitting official GMAT scores; I requested that my scores be made available to Sloan when taking the GMAT. Is that sufficient for this requirement? Presumably they received my scores, but I am not sure how that feature works. We are allowed to pick up to 5 schools to receive scores, but does GMAC send the official score report or the unofficial? Should I resend the scores so they arrive around the same time as when I submit my application? Thanks for the advice!

GMAC sends the official score report to each of the 5 schools you select. $250 does buy you a little more than 4 hours of pain. Once they receive it, the adcom files it away to match up with your application later. You're set, there's nothing more to do.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 05:55
Does anyone know if reapplicants need to resend GMAT scores? I had GMAC send the scores to Sloan for last year's application. Is that sufficient?
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 22

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 06:01
kostyan5 wrote:
Does anyone know if reapplicants need to resend GMAT scores? I had GMAC send the scores to Sloan for last year's application. Is that sufficient?
You do not need to re-send scores, they will have them on file already.

Good luck with your reapp!
EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 14:01
Does anyone know what's "% below" on the test score section?

Say I got 90% percentile on GMAT. Would the "% below" be 10%?? Confused...
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 22

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 14:21
quincyliao wrote:

Yeah, phrasing is odd - but they just want the percentiles that GMAC reported. 90th percentile on the GMAT means that 90% of test-takers are below you.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

VP
VP
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 16:05
essaysnark wrote:
quincyliao wrote:

Yeah, phrasing is odd - but they just want the percentiles that GMAC reported. 90th percentile on the GMAT means that 90% of test-takers are below you.

Yep.

% below = 'percentage below' = percentile.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 22:12
Just submitted my application. First one down, two more to go!
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q V0
GMAT 2: 640 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V42

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 02:19
missxmelon wrote:
Just submitted my application. First one down, two more to go!

I just submitted mine...good luck to those who are planning to submit soon.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 18:36
Anyone notice MIT's typo in the application form?

"Please consider me fornthe Diversity Fellowship"

Oh well. I'm just happy that MIT's form is simple and short and not laden with short answer questions (i.e., extra essays.)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 03:44
In for R2, how much time did it take to write the complete app ? How are the reco questions ?
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 07:13
docks007 wrote:
In for R2, how much time did it take to write the complete app ? How are the reco questions ?

The form didn't take long--maybe an hour? Then you have to write two required essays of 500 words each and have the option to do an additional optional essay.

The recommendation questions are found here: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/ ... ctions.php

On that link, you'll also find the other requirements for the application so that you can judge how long it will take you.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 07:18
Oh they publish the reco questions as well. That is so cool . Never found it for INSEAD.

Ward2012 wrote:
docks007 wrote:

The form didn't take long--maybe an hour? Then you have to write two required essays of 500 words each and have the option to do an additional optional essay.

The recommendation questions are found here: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/ ... ctions.php

On that link, you'll also find the other requirements for the application so that you can judge how long it will take you.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 08:25
What services is recommended for submitting PowerPoint for optional essay?
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 10:02
kostyan5 wrote:
What services is recommended for submitting PowerPoint for optional essay?

I am not an expert in this topic, but most people seem to use SlideShare. I 've also seen some people put their powerpoints on YouTube or another video hosting service.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 14:41

Last edited by deacoW on 24 Sep 2013, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 15:42
deacoW wrote:
I built an alternative transcript, but am not sure where on the application to reflect it. In the education section it gives you extra space for other Degrees earned, so I'm not sure if that is an appropriate place to put it. I've uploaded the transcript but I'm not sure what else to do.

Any advice?

Thanks

Deacow, I don't think you can do that. The instructions clearly mention that you should upload only transcripts that contribute towards a degree. I would mention about the alternate transcript and the grades in the optional essay and leave it there.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 19:04
Guys,
Does MIT Sloan entertain late submission of recommendation letters?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 43

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 22:21
Hi guys,

working on my optional essay (ppt) right now. Can anyone tell me if there is a limit on the number of slides that can be made? They just mention a limit of 1 min on videos but nothing about powerpoint presentations. I have made 7 slides in total (including 1 intro slide and 1 conclusion slide that doesnt have anything about me). My "effective" number of slides is just 5. I wonder if thats ok.
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2013, 22:21