Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
missxmelon wrote:
ankurq7 wrote:
Hi guys,

working on my optional essay (ppt) right now. Can anyone tell me if there is a limit on the number of slides that can be made? They just mention a limit of 1 min on videos but nothing about powerpoint presentations. I have made 7 slides in total (including 1 intro slide and 1 conclusion slide that doesnt have anything about me). My "effective" number of slides is just 5. I wonder if thats ok.

I haven't heard of or seen any official limit on slides from MIT; I honestly don't think there is one. Obviously use your judgement, and keep your PowerPoint succinct. Five slides sounds fine, so long as they aren't too text-heavy!

That's right. There's no limit on the optional essay, unless you're actually writing an essay. If you are, then the box has a 7,000 character limit, which is definitely over 1,000 words, so you have plenty of room.

You should just use your best judgement and also keep in mind that the readers are looking at applications on iPads.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
Send PM
missxmelon wrote:
kostyan5 wrote:
What services is recommended for submitting PowerPoint for optional essay?

I used Dropbox and provided a link.

Used skydrive and provided the link...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Diver wrote:
missxmelon wrote:
kostyan5 wrote:
What services is recommended for submitting PowerPoint for optional essay?

I used Dropbox and provided a link.

Used skydrive and provided the link...

I thought I read somewhere that we should not send a link that will make MIT adcom DOWNLOAD the file to see it.

I would suggest use Youtube for videos and Slideshare for ppts
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
ankurq7 wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that we should not send a link that will make MIT adcom DOWNLOAD the file to see it.

I would suggest use Youtube for videos and Slideshare for ppts

Yes, the MIT Adcom would probably prefer not to download files. However, you do not have to download a file through the Dropbox link; it also loads the slides, which you can then scroll through. I therefore still recommend Dropbox.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
is anyone considering not doing anything for the optional component?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
For Prompt 3 - is the best way to upload a video to use youtube, set the privacy setting to 'unlisted' and then provide the link? Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
gumap wrote:
For Prompt 3 - is the best way to upload a video to use youtube, set the privacy setting to 'unlisted' and then provide the link? Thanks.

That's the way I did it last year and the way I'm doing it this year. Whether that's the best way, I don't know. But it worked fine for me. When I was waitlisted last year, my waitlist manager said she really liked my video, so I know it works
Director
Director
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
By contrast, NYU has a 5-minute limit if a video is used for the Personal Expression and if you watch any of those, you will realize that 5 minutes is waaaay too long.

EssaySnark

Tell me about it. I just watched one that was almost 12 minutes and it was not nearly interesting enough to merit that length.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
gumap wrote:

That's the way I did it last year and the way I'm doing it this year. Whether that's the best way, I don't know. But it worked fine for me. When I was waitlisted last year, my waitlist manager said she really liked my video, so I know it works

thanks. when i put it on youtube, the images weren't as clear as when i had the video in imovie. any suggestions on how to avoid this?
Director
Director
Send PM
gumap wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:
gumap wrote:

thanks. when i put it on youtube, the images weren't as clear as when i had the video in imovie. any suggestions on how to avoid this?

Yes, it has something to do with the resolution size. Save it as a smaller size and re-upload it and the images should be clearer

Sorry, I can't provide more detail. I'm not in front of iMovie now, so I can't remember the exact command. But I think the default is 960. It needs to be smaller than that.

When I get near a Mac again, I can look it up if you're still having trouble
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:
gumap wrote:

Yes, it has something to do with the resolution size. Save it as a smaller size and re-upload it and the images should be clearer

Sorry, I can't provide more detail. I'm not in front of iMovie now, so I can't remember the exact command. But I think the default is 960. It needs to be smaller than that.

When I get near a Mac again, I can look it up if you're still having trouble

Hi, that would be great if you could confirm later. I tried export movie -size large and medium. Large was ok, but with medium my fonts seemed to be harder to read. Thanks so much.
Director
Director
Send PM
gumap wrote:

Hi, that would be great if you could confirm later. I tried export movie -size large and medium. Large was ok, but with medium my fonts seemed to be harder to read. Thanks so much.

Try using the "Share" command and share directly to Youtube instead of exporting it to a movie format. I think that way, iMovie will apply the correct settings.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
randomwalk wrote:
Guys,
Does MIT Sloan entertain late submission of recommendation letters?

Posted from my mobile device

Last year they let one of my recommenders submit a recommendation on the Friday of the week that the application was due (the application due date was also on a Tuesday last year.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
randomwalk wrote:
Guys,
Does MIT Sloan entertain late submission of recommendation letters?

Posted from my mobile device

Last year they let one of my recommenders submit a recommendation on the Friday of the week that the application was due (the application due date was also on a Tuesday last year.)

Thanks I have dropped a mail to MIT adcom directly to request for extension if possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Guys,
Has anyone tried printing the application in pdf before submitting? The note says

"Only after you have submitted your form will it be available in Adobe Acrobat PDF format (as the institution will see it) using this Print window. However, you will have the opportunity to review your form in PDF format during the first step of the multi-step submission process."

How does this work? Can I click on "submit application" print the pdf form and then edit it if necessary before doing the Final submission?
Director
Director
Send PM
dab wrote:
randomwalk wrote:
Guys, for the optional question, I remember reading somewhere that, if we choose to do a video, the guideline length is 1 minute. But for the life of me, I can't seem to find this particular restriction in the website or in the application instructions. Could someone clarify if this 1 minute restriction is indeed the case?

1 Minute was last year's guideline. This year the guidelines seem less strict. I would say in that case the guideline should be the consideration of the viewer's time, so the longer you make it, the more you should make sure every second is necessary and interesting.

here's some advice from Jeff Carbone at Sloan about the optional essay. At the end, he mentions a guideline of about a minute for videos. In my opinion, anything between 1-2 minutes is ok.

https://mitsloanadmissions.com/2013/09/2 ... ign=Buffer
Director
Director
Send PM
randomwalk wrote:
Guys,
Has anyone tried printing the application in pdf before submitting? The note says

"Only after you have submitted your form will it be available in Adobe Acrobat PDF format (as the institution will see it) using this Print window. However, you will have the opportunity to review your form in PDF format during the first step of the multi-step submission process."

How does this work? Can I click on "submit application" print the pdf form and then edit it if necessary before doing the Final submission?

Yes, you can click on "Submit application" and there will be a link to view in PDF or print to PDF before you get to payment and actual submission.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts