Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Sloan '16 (A)
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [3]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '16 (WL)
Send PM
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
first, to fionaS, kostyan5, and dab: 'preciate the comments! would be an absolute pleasure to be your classmates.

second, after realizing our invite rate was much lower than last year's R1 (which i noted in my previous post), i decided to see what story some of the other classes/rounds told. using GMAT club roster downloads, here's what i found...
2014-R2_______25___69____________94_______27%____
2015-R1_______56__144___________200_______28%____
2015-R2_______38__119___________157_______24%____
Col. Total _____147__429__________576_______26%____

onward and upward, fellow hopefuls!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
When you interview on campus, you will get a copy of the "MIT Sloan Student Photobook", it includes all students across all programs at Sloan. I analyzed the class of 2014 and class 2015 backgrounds and its quite amazing. The diversity in undergraduate institutions, past companies, countries. There is no company or school that sends over 10 students to Sloan (except MIT ugrad which sent about 15 to MIT Sloan). Pretty cool :) Just wanted to share.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
I emailed the admissions office, and the woman who replied confirmed that Fri, Nov 8 was the last day for Round 1 Interview invitations. On Fri, Nov 15, we will either get dings or waitlist deferrals into Round 2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q41 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Kudos
I just got the call!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
snickerdoodle wrote:
lowrys11 wrote:
Round 1 seemed to come out in batches, so not true rolling but additional invites for sure

Thanks for sharing that information. I hate this process. :shock: :( :cry:

Is it safe to assume that they are "done" for the day? I really should get some work done.

Go to page 14 of this thread and see what happened in R1. I imagine this will be similar. A bunch of invites went out about 10am and one more was reported in the afternoon, although that one was probably a late post to a morning invite.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Got an invitation! The email came in at 1:17pm.

East Coast (Connecticut) working in Finance/Operations for a Private Equity firm
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.84
WE:Management Consulting (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi there,

I was starting to lose hope... but I received an interview invite for the East Coast today around 1:50PM EST :-D !

Please wish me luck! Good luck to everyone else out there...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Invited to interview in Cambridge at 3:11 CST! Ecstatic!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Statistics
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.63
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
The chat invite and interview invite are mutually independent events. The reason that many of us have received the chat invite is because we've enrolled in one of the previous events - online or offline or we selected to receive updates from Sloan. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [3]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Congrats to everyone who got Interview Invite and Good luck to other applicants!!!

If you haven't updated your GMAT Club profile status, Please do it. :)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
It's the eleventh hour. For those in wait-state, the last few hours before receiving the result can be grueling and wrenching. But the reality is - some applicants may still be invited for an interview. And a number in all likelihood will have their status changed to deferred, rather than rejected. And for those not considered any longer by Sloan, it's best to keep in mind that there are lots of excellent schools, and there is still round 3 at a number of them. No one should let a particular school's admissions committee members have any lasting effect on their lives. Time to pick oneself up by the bootstraps and move forward!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.8
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:
ndukyh wrote:
This wait is killing me right now. Last school I'm waiting on final decision from

I'm going to hear from 3 schools in the next 8 days. I feel your pain. I wish you luck and hope things work out in your favor!

Same thing here! Counting down the hours right now... I think I have no more fingers to cross.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [2]
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
essaysnark wrote:
aalba005 wrote:
The Admissions Committee invites you to share anything else you would like us to know about you, in any format.

The MIT "Optional Answer" is not to be confused with other schools' optional essays; EssaySnark strongly considers everyone to submit something for this (typical advice is only do an optional essay to explain a glitch in the profile; this Optional Answer thing is different). Non-written submissions tend to give you greater opportunity to communicate stuff. Doing another essay is kinda boring, it's fine if it's the best ya got, but this is a case where you can show them more of yourself using another medium.

EssaySnark

Agreed. At a prospective applicant event, I was told the open-ended question is nearly mandatory. I completed it and you can see that it worked out for me (I wrote an essay, but it was the best I had). Do note, though, that some of my classmates got in without submitting anything for the optional answer.

Nicely executed, kingfalcon! A well-written essay can definitely add value, as you have proven.

Yup, we've heard Sloan Admissions say something similar too. It's another one of those cases where you gain so much from attending an event - it would be sorta nice if they were more forthcoming on the website about the importance of this puppy, but at the same time, knowing that schools share such guidance during their info sessions is certainly a strong motivation to attend them - they have strong ROI.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [2]
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
aalba005 wrote:
Jamon wrote:
Still can't decide if it's worth applying. They've already filled a bunch of seats from last year's overflowing pool of candidates. I'll probably work on this app last, and if I have time then I'll roll the dice and submit.

Curious where I can find more information about deferred admission from last year to this year? From the MIT class of 2015 thread and the waitlist thread no one had mentioned offers for deferred enrollment.

Presumably what Jamon is referring to is the fact that 2 years ago, MIT underestimated its yield (the percentage of people who would accept their offers of admission) and ended up significantly overenrolled. They handled it by offering people a guaranteed deferred admission along with a nice discount on tuition.

However, that has no impact on this year. We hadn't heard of any of this happening again this past season. The people who took the deferred admit package will be starting this Fall (2013); it has no impact on anyone who's applying now (to start next Fall, 2014).

If there's other info that we're missing please fill us in, too!
EssaySnark

PS: Most schools by policy do not ever grant deferred admission; this was a major exception since it was being offered by the school to fix an 'oops' on their part - they didn't realize how popular they'd become! they've since adjusted their practices, don't think that situation will repeat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Kudos
essaysnark wrote:
randomwalk wrote:
Personally, I have a very positive opinion of this years application. What has really impressed me is the laser focused structure of the overall application, and its brevity. But one thing I noticed that is lacking (for my needs) is that the online application doesn't have any avenue to mention/list community involvement. Fitting those into my resume or essays will not work for me. hmm..

Two responses, randomwalk:

1. This is by design. Extracurriculars are not nearly as important as applicants believe them to be. MIT not asking for them is clear evidence of this. Extracurriculars are often fabricated and embellished anyway, so many schools discount them even when they still allow you to enter them.
2. Even so, extracurriculars should always be on the resume. This is especially true in hiring, and for schools that do blind interviews (not MIT). Having such activities on the resume often can offer instant connection to an interviewer; they're a way for you to make yourself into a real person on the page.

EssaySnark

To add on to #1 from the above post, I think they don't care about your fifth extra curricular that you've spent one hour on in the past three years, but still put on the list. If you have a VALUABLE community experience, for example, then the essays provide an excellent place to discuss that. I am using #1 to do that.

My thoughts are that if your extras are strong enough to wish that they put them in the application, they should be also be strong enough to merit mention in an essay. Both essay questions lend themselves to those. Moreover, the optional essay about whatever you want certainly does the same.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
gumap wrote:
For Prompt 3 - is the best way to upload a video to use youtube, set the privacy setting to 'unlisted' and then provide the link? Thanks.

That's the way I did it last year and the way I'm doing it this year. Whether that's the best way, I don't know. But it worked fine for me. When I was waitlisted last year, my waitlist manager said she really liked my video, so I know it works
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [2]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Jamon wrote:
If you are a dime a dozen kind of candidate, then yes I agree. The optional essay is a great way to "differentiate" yourself. But if your essay is strong and you have crafted essays that convey both your personality and goals, then I strongly disagree that the optional essay should be put to use. You aren't going to get accepted because you make some PPT about your basket weaving that you do while visiting nursing home on weekends.

Thanks for the input essay snark. I do see the benefits of an optional essay. But I also faile to see your admission chances increasing by trying to impress them with some useless (interesting, nevertheless) hobby that you enjoy.

I don't even...

Yes, you can be accepted because you differentiated yourself through the optional essay.

Yes, you can increase your admission chances by properly conveying a hobby you enjoy.

Obviously, it is not a guarantee.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts