Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 22

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 10:27
jumsumtak wrote:
aalba005 wrote:
The Admissions Committee invites you to share anything else you would like us to know about you, in any format.

interesting..

The MIT "Optional Answer" is not to be confused with other schools' optional essays; EssaySnark strongly considers ENCOURAGES everyone to submit something for this (typical advice is only do an optional essay to explain a glitch in the profile; this Optional Answer thing is different). Non-written submissions tend to give you greater opportunity to communicate stuff. Doing another essay is kinda boring, it's fine if it's the best ya got, but this is a case where you can show them more of yourself using another medium.

EssaySnark

(Edited to fix bizarre word choice we'd used originally.)

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Last edited by essaysnark on 06 Jul 2013, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 13:35
essaysnark wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
aalba005 wrote:
The Admissions Committee invites you to share anything else you would like us to know about you, in any format.

interesting..

The MIT "Optional Answer" is not to be confused with other schools' optional essays; EssaySnark strongly considers everyone to submit something for this (typical advice is only do an optional essay to explain a glitch in the profile; this Optional Answer thing is different). Non-written submissions tend to give you greater opportunity to communicate stuff. Doing another essay is kinda boring, it's fine if it's the best ya got, but this is a case where you can show them more of yourself using another medium.

EssaySnark

Agreed. At a prospective applicant event, I was told the open-ended question is nearly mandatory. I completed it and you can see that it worked out for me (I wrote an essay, but it was the best I had). Do note, though, that some of my classmates got in without submitting anything for the optional answer.
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 138 [1] , given: 22

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
Nicely executed, kingfalcon! A well-written essay can definitely add value, as you have proven.

Yup, we've heard Sloan Admissions say something similar too. It's another one of those cases where you gain so much from attending an event - it would be sorta nice if they were more forthcoming on the website about the importance of this puppy, but at the same time, knowing that schools share such guidance during their info sessions is certainly a strong motivation to attend them - they have strong ROI.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (M)
GRE 1: 305 Q151 V154
GRE 2: 316 Q156 V160
GRE 3: 318 Q156 V162
GPA: 3.07
WE: Other (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
I would also suggest that everyone does the optional essay. I did not do it and I was wait listed. I eventually got in but that was after a couple of months and a lot of extra work that I put into get off the wait list. Would I have gotten in right away if I did the optional essay, maybe, maybe not, who knows. However, if you do it, you will not have to ask yourself that question.

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 14:45
Ooo that is such good advice PNW - coming from a place of hard-won wisdom. The regret that people feel late in the process when things don't pan out as they'd hoped can be very painful. It's one reason that so many reapplicants are so successful - they pull out all the stops the second time around. Glad to see it didn't come to that for you!

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 138 [1] , given: 22

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
From today's online chat with Sloan Admissions re: Optional Answer:
Quote:
The supplemental is optional but I highly recommend using it; otherwise it's a missed opportunity. I would say, we get videos, blogs, photo galleries -- anything that highlights unusual aspects of your personality or talents that doesn't come across in the rest of the application.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.49

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 09:36
Is this my first post?

Just went to a Sloan on the Road event today in Taipei. What a great group of down to earth people. The admissions people were very friendly, and the alum were incredibly willing to help answer questions and showed such enthusiasm for the school. I ran into my high school buddy's brother and found out just today that he was a Sloanie class of 99. Before I was only mildly curious about the school, but now it's going to be one of my top choices. Count me in for R1!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Account Management (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 21:12
For the optional essay/video/blog, do you really feel that they will go through a blog if a link is provided??? A blog can contain tons of information about an individual. AdCom can pretty quickly get a feel of the individual by reading a blog.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 12-20-2012
WE: Marketing (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 09:22
Is the online application open yet? I just checked and did not see any selectable options in the app.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 6

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 21:53
This post received
KUDOS
qshdz wrote:
Is the online application open yet? I just checked and did not see any selectable options in the app.

Same case for me...I've checked a few times this week. No selectable options, and last year's deadlines are still up. They did say the app would be up around mid-July, so hopefully it'll work by the end of this week. I also saw that the "create an account" option is gone, so they're probably re-working the system.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 08:20
Anyone know when the online application is going to be live? When I logged in, I only saw a comment about 2013 entry.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 07:15
I can't access the application either. I thought I was doing something wrong so I submitted a technical support trouble ticket with the administrator of the application. Their response was, "The online application is currently being updated, and the institution has made the site unavailable at this time. You may check the application login page periodically for a status."
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 16:26
essaysnark wrote:
From today's online chat with Sloan Admissions re: Optional Answer:
Quote:
The supplemental is optional but I highly recommend using it; otherwise it's a missed opportunity. I would say, we get videos, blogs, photo galleries -- anything that highlights unusual aspects of your personality or talents that doesn't come across in the rest of the application.

I am still a bit confused as to what they mean when they say "in any format". For something like blogs or photo galleries, do we just provide a link? Hmm maybe when the application opens, there will be more guidance?
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE: Asset Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 23

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 06:55
Fellow applicants --

For essay 1, do you think MIT is looking to hear one specific story that demonstrates how one can contribute to advancing its mission, with detailed description of how one handled situation, thoughts and conclusion, or can we answer the question more broadly through various examples with less details about each?
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 06:58
TheEntrepreneur wrote:
Fellow applicants --

For essay 1, do you think MIT is looking to hear one specific story that demonstrates how one can contribute to advancing its mission, with detailed description of how one handled situation, thoughts and conclusion, or can we answer the question more broadly through various examples with less details about each?

I think a better approach is to provide 2 or 3 examples and tie them with MIT's mission.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:19
Hi,
how important a factor is GPA for Sloan admissions?
I come a very competitive pool of applicants (Indian male)
I have graduated from one of the top 5 engineering colleges in India, but my GPA is only 6.53/10.
Can this be overcome by a good GMAT score?

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:35
nksbits wrote:
Hi,
I have graduated from one of the top 5 engineering colleges in India, but my GPA is only 6.53/10.
@nksbits, a mediocre GPA can't be "overcome" by a good GMAT but it does help. To some degree it matters how long ago your college days were and also if there were any extenuating circumstances. The fact that you went to a top school also helps; sometimes grades received from an unranked institution are informally marked down by the adcoms when evaluating candidates, and the opposite is also true. MIT and most top schools care about college grades. Your grades are borderline but maybe not in trouble territory.

EssaySnark

VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:37
nksbits wrote:
Hi,

It is tough for Indian applicants to overcome a low GPA. Especially, at elite schools like Sloan. There will always be enough number of Indian male students applying who had a decent gpa and a great work experience.

GMAT won't necessarily overcome your low gpa because of the pool you come from. But, it won't hurt to get a good one.

I'm no expert, but I have a hunch that building additional transcripts etc. is not a very viable option for Indian candidates.

What you may (should) do:
1.) explain extenuating circumstances - why was your gpa that low?
2.) Highlight other parts of your app that are super solid.

Not discouraging you to apply. Giving you ideas to mitigate the low gpa barrier.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:46
@essaysnark and jumsumtak
Thanks for the quick response.
How much does displaying leadership in sports related activities help while applying to top schools?
I led my college team to winners position in a national level sports event.
Do I have any competitive advantage for having done this?

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:58
nksbits wrote:
How much does displaying leadership in sports related activities help while applying to top schools?
I led my college team to winners position in a national level sports event.
Do I have any competitive advantage for having done this?

That's a double-edged sword. Yes, it displays teamwork and leadership, and that's always valuable... but it implies that you cared only for sport and not for the whole reason you were in school, which was to get an education (priorities were off). It really doesn't help in the context of trying to explain a low GPA. We discussed this before on the EssaySnark blahg:

* Low GPA + lots of leadership in undergrad = optional essay
* essay critique: optional essay low GPA (sorry that one is behind the paywall)

Hopefully those help you see how to handle this.
EssaySnark

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2013, 08:58