Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [4] , given: 24

Premium Member
Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
With many R1 waitlist decisions coming out yesterday, I figured we can now use a waitlist thread for this year. Good luck to everyone!

Roll Call

NOTE :- The above list updates automatically as and when applicants update their application Status. If your name does not appear in the list, please check and update your application status or post in this thread.

Waitlist Management
Compilation of the best waitlist Strategies

Sloan (MIT) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants
Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED

Here is the Waitlist chat transcript from Feb 4th Chat with students from Booth, Johnson, and Yale

Attachment:
WL Chat Transcript dtd 04.02.2014.pdf [555.69 KiB]
Downloaded 27 times
To download please login or register as a user

Here is a recording of the webinar:

Here is the PPT Jon used in his presentation

Attachments

Admissionado_DLontheWL(2).pdf [5.6 MiB]
Downloaded 18 times

Last edited by Narenn on 05 Feb 2014, 13:48, edited 4 times in total.
Links added
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
MIT's waitlist FAQ:

What does being on the waiting list mean?

Each year we have more highly qualified applicants than we can admit into the incoming class. Being placed on the waiting list is an indication that your application was a strong one, and that we believe you would be an asset to the MIT Sloan community.

When can I expect to hear from MIT Sloan again?

You will hear an updated decision by April 1st even if it is only telling you that you continue to be on the waiting list. Most action will take place in June and July. We will issue all necessary updates to the waiting list via group e-mail, as well as posting updates to this page.

What are the next steps for waiting list candidates?

We encourage waiting list applicants to keep us updated on their situation and intentions. You are welcome to submit via e-mail only any additional information you feel will be helpful to us. Please understand that due to the high volume of correspondence, we are limited in our ability to answer individual questions. Please refer to this page which will be updated as needed.

Send all correspondence to mbawaitinglist@sloan.mit.edu.

Please do not send any correspondence to individual admissions committee members.

How long does the waiting list remain active?

The waiting list remains active until the beginning of the school year.

Is it possible to be waitlisted without an interview?

Yes. If you are waitlisted without an interview, an interview will ultimately be required for admission to the MBA Program.

Can I schedule a waiting list interview?

If waiting list interviews are conducted, we will schedule them by invitation only. A second interview will not be necessary for candidates whom we have already interviewed. We will contact candidates if and when spaces open up.

How big is the waiting list, and do you rank the candidates on the waiting list?

We will likely have between 100 and 200 active candidates on the waiting list.

We do not rank the candidates on the waiting list. All of those who respond will be considered for admission if and when spaces become available. Historically, we have admitted candidates as late as August.

Which date should I choose?

Choosing an early or late date does not necessarily put you at an advantage since you are simply telling us not to consider your application after the date you indicate.

What are my chances of obtaining financial aid and on-campus housing?

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you are eligible for federal as well as non-federal loans. Provided you have included MIT (Title IV Code 002178) in your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, you can apply for both federal and non-federal loans no matter how late you are admitted.

If you are an international student, the MIT Federal Credit Union Loan will be available to you, no matter how late you apply.

Candidates accepted from the waiting list may not be eligible for on-campus housing, as the deadline to sign up for the on-campus housing lottery is May.

What are my chances if I reapply next year?

If you choose to reapply next year, your application will be evaluated with the new pool of applicants.

I have to send my deposit to another school and I haven't heard from you yet.

You should definitely make alternate plans in case we do not go to the waiting list before your offer from another school expires. Please update us if you accept another school's offer, as the status of other candidates may be affected by your decision.

Is there anything else that I should know?

We know that the waiting list process is an uncertain and often frustrating experience for candidates. Unfortunately, we are rarely able to give definitive answers before our admission offer reply date in May. We will do our best to notify candidates if there is any information we feel will be useful or if our approach to the waiting list changes. We will post any updates on this page. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

- See more at: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/waitlist?ad ... st.php#faq
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 17:30
Online chat hosted by Sloan for waitlisted candidates on Thurs, Nov 21 at 12pm EST:

https://mitmba.askadmissions.net/groupc ... gPage.aspx
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 20:21
Thanks for creating the forum. We will all be buddies for the next 6 to 9 months.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q42 V42

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 07:26
hello! i was also waitlisted on friday without an interview :/. at least it's not a ding?! :).

i also found a previous transcript of a wait list chat when i randomly searched on google. i can't post urls yet (too new :)), but if you google sloan r1 waitlist, it should be the first result (it is a pdf). should be a useful resource!
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 13:06
Attached is the waitlist chat transcript that Jen Barba hosted in Feb 2011.
Attachments

MIT_Sloan_Waitlist_Chat_02Feb2011.pdf [649.78 KiB]
Downloaded 72 times

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 11:09
Is it fair to expect that candidates who have been interviewed and then put on waitlist have higher chances to be accepted than people waitlisted without interview?
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 12:10
hannible1357 wrote:
Is it fair to expect that candidates who have been interviewed and then put on waitlist have higher chances to be accepted than people waitlisted without interview?

I think that's possible, but keep in mind that the waitlist is also used to keep people who have strong profiles but might already be represented in the pool of accepted candidates. For example, there may be too many people of a certain demographic and/or professional background, and if one of those people does not accept Sloan's offer, then the person on the waitlist who matches that profile, all of a sudden, becomes a high priority on the waitlist.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 12:11
Did everyone get an email today from the Admissions Office with a reminder of the chat taking place on Thursday and reminding people to fill out the webpage accepting or turning down a place on the waitlist?
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 16:43
Ward2012 wrote:
Did everyone get an email today from the Admissions Office with a reminder of the chat taking place on Thursday and reminding people to fill out the webpage accepting or turning down a place on the waitlist?

Yes, I received that email as well. I'm guessing the same email was sent to everyone then. I was worried that my webpage submission hadn't gone through. Did anyone email back to follow up?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 19

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 05:15
Did anyone happen to attend the Waitlist chat yesterday? If so, was annything newsworthy said?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q42 V42

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 3

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 11:38
This post received
KUDOS
kostyan5 wrote:
Did anyone happen to attend the Waitlist chat yesterday? If so, was annything newsworthy said?

yes! it was a very interesting chat. i copied it down, here it is:
Attachments

wlchat.docx [36.98 KiB]
Downloaded 86 times

Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 10:35
Count me in for the Waitlist!

Good luck everyone
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 18:06
Hello fellow waitlisters. Another year, another dream potentially deferred... but life goes on.

At this point, does anyone have advice on how to get off the waitlist? Aside from getting letters of support or improving my GMAT, what may really move the ball in 2-3 months?

Just curious for everyone's thoughts.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 6

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 13:14
Count me in too.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.22
WE: Supply Chain Management (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 01:45
Add me too please. Lets see how far this takes us.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 21:30
Add me to the list for "waitlisted with an interview". Invited to interview on 10/28. Hoping for the best.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 21:34
This post received
KUDOS
I've added everyone who has posted so far to the list. I combined the w/ and w/o interviews all into Round 1 to make the list easier on the eyes.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 135 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 18:47
This post received
KUDOS
Did anyone attend the chat this morning? I wasn't able to, but I guess the chat transcript will be posted in a few days.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 06:07
Here is a chat transcript from last year regarding the waitlist.

http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/images/uplo ... t_2-12.pdf
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling All Waitlisted Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2013, 06:07