Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan vs Darden ($$$)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Sloan vs Darden ($$$) [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 05:55
Hi all, I'm trying to decide which school best for me and I would appreciate your feedback. I was accepted to Sloan (no $) and Darden (full ride), but I'm having trouble deciding if the debt that I would take on at Sloan would be worth it in the long run. Is the Sloan brand worth the money? I like both school's cultures, communities, and locations and I see myself as a great fit at either. I'm looking to go into either consulting or the entrepreneurship after my MBA.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 310 [1] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Sloan vs Darden ($$$) [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
It sounds like money is the tie-breaker and you're wondering how much better the Sloan brand is compared to Darden. If you like both places, I'd say take the full-ride. This is a top-10 vs. top-15 school, and most people would place Sloan in the bottom-half of the top 10. For me, the difference isn't great enough to turn down $100K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Sloan vs Darden ($$$) [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 06:45
Expert's post
Great great schools to choose from. My two cents is that if you are looking to go into consulting, take the money from Darden. There really isn’t too much difference in opportunity between a top 10 vs. top 15 school. However, if you are looking into entrepreneurship, it would behoove you to be at a place where the entrepreneurial spirit is in the air. Sloan is only 2nd to Stanford in that subject. There are tons of resources from the school and from Boston’s location. Sloan puts together one of the best start up competition, allowing you to practice pitching, and get you exposure to VCs. Boston provides a much much better access to VCs. The higher potential of capital you can raise will offset that tuition you will save.

Diversity

VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sloan vs Darden ($$$) [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 06:48
Have you asked Sloan to sweeten the offer (by letting them know that Darden is offering you a full ride) ?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan vs Darden ($$$) [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 08:33
Thanks for the input CobraKai and asimov. Jumsumtak, I haven't tried that, but its a great idea.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Sloan vs Darden ($$$) [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 18:08
Have you tried speaking to alums/students regarding the resources available for would-be entrepreneurs at Darden? Also take into consideration the support structure at Darden for entrepreneurs.

They place well into consulting so I don't think that's a concern.

I would personally take the money at Darden. Too good to pass up.

Congrats, and good luck!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Sloan vs Darden ($$$) [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 04:13
Tough call here. I think you can make the argument here for both schools regardless of whether you want to do consulting or entrepreneurship. For consulting, while Sloan places better at the top firms, the difference is small and may be a function of different student preferences. For entrepreneurship, while Sloan and MIT are amazing places for entrepreneurship, going to Darden and having significantly less debt may give you more comfort to pursue your entrepreneurial venture.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would probably pick Darden if my primary interest were consulting and Sloan if my primary interest were entrepreneurship.

Good luck with your difficult decision!
Re: Sloan vs Darden ($$$)   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2013, 04:13