Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sluggish recommender

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Sluggish recommender [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 13:33
Months ago, in March, my recommender told me that she would look over my application essays and give any recommendations I need. I sent her my application essays in early August and told her that I wanted my apps in by November 1st, so that gave her months to prepare. Something came up, so the due date changed to October 15th. September 30th I sent her an email telling her so. No response... Two days ago I called her office and left a message. Still no response... There are only 5 days left until I want to turn in my applications and I still have heard nothing from her confirming or denying the fact that she can get it finished by then. She hasn't even accessed my online recommendations. Usually she responds quickly to emails, but not this time. In your opinion, where is the line between "giving a reminder" and "being pushy"? What would you guys do? I'm stressing out here...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 14:40
If you work in the same office. Conviently bump into her, don't barge into her office but if you know she has to be somewhere at a specific time be in the general area. Face to face she can't hide. Just be tactful in your approach. Don't just confront her with, have you done my recommendation. Lead with how you appreciate her offering to do this, and you know it must have been a time commitment for her. Then say well at least its almost over and you wont have to worry about those recs anymore. Thats gonna give her a fair amount of guilt that hopefully will get her working.

Be prepared for the oh god I forgot about that, whens it due again? comment.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 14:45
Well, we are in different countries now and it is almost impossible to get her on the phone because she is so busy all the time. The only way to contact her is by email or leaving messages, so I run the risk of "nagging" because she isn't replying.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 15:29
My recommender is on the opposite of the spectrum as yours. They submitted all 3 of my schools on the same day. I know this person didn't tailor anything to that particular application.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 05:32
I had a similar problem, eric19831108. It was a supervisor from a previous job and like you I had approached her this past spring about a recommendation. And also like you I gave her my "reommendation packet" a couple of months ago. And, like in your situation, she completely forgot (and lost the packet) and took forever to return e-mails.

However, I was lucky in that I had another former supervisor from the same organization who was retired (i.e. a lot of free time) who I still felt close enough to that I could explain the situation and he did a last minute (but excellent) reco. for me. Of course I was kicking myself that I didn't ask him in the first place since I knew that he would write a stellar reco., but since he had retired and the other supervisor had risen up quite high in management in the organization, I guess I just had job title stars in my eyes.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that most likely she probably hasn't even started on your reco. yet, and if she is as busy as you say she is, probably won't have time to write a very good one, if she has time to do it at all. Is there anyone else that you feel comfortable enough with where you could suck it up and explain the situation and they wouldn't be horribly offended that they are a last minute reco. choice?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2007, 03:27
Going to send my 5th reminder to my recommendor today !!!

Hope the day is good.
  [#permalink] 15 Oct 2007, 03:27