Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

MIT SLOAN or BERKELEY HAAS? What is your vote?

• 40% [55]
  • 59% [82]
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 14:45
This post received
KUDOS
I am entering full-time 2-year MBA program class of 2014, start - this August/september.

I've narrowed down my 5 admit offers to MIT Sloan and Berkeley Haas (it has been BRUTALLY tough to get to this point so far).

I don't have a tech background, but I want to enter tech (anything from entrepreneurship to startup to large cap tech).

Cost does not matter to me (I did receive scholarship $, but no point in divulging which school or both schools offered $. I am tuition agnostic). Also, I do not live in northeast or on westcoast, so I would be moving and starting fresh at both schools.

What is your vote and why? Thanks everyone in advance for contributing your thoughts.
Tuck Thread Master
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 14:48
Tech -> Silicon Valley
Plus, the weather.

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 15:54
faro wrote:
Tech -> Silicon Valley
Plus, the weather.

Exactly...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 15:58
faro wrote:
Tech -> Silicon Valley
Plus, the weather.

MIT has a direct line to Silicon Valley, if that's where one wants to end up. I would suggest looking at the employment reports of both schools.
Tuck Thread Master
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 17:41
Consulting2Finance wrote:
faro wrote:
Tech -> Silicon Valley
Plus, the weather.

MIT has a direct line to Silicon Valley, if that's where one wants to end up. I would suggest looking at the employment reports of both schools.

It's one thing to have a "direct line" to Silicon Valley, it's another to be able to grab beers with people there every weekend.

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 17:49
In my opinion, both schools will get you to your goal & both networks in your desired industry are top notch. Instead, you may want to consider what you want out of your MBA experience. Location, courses/experiential opportunities in your area of interest, cultures, etc. Most importantly, which seemed like a better fit?

Yes, Boston is cold but it is a vibrant city, and MIT is a very unique school that is well-known worldwide. However, I'm likely headed to Haas myself. :-D

You have two AMAZING options! You really can't go wrong.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 10

Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 18:09
This post received
KUDOS
faro wrote:
Consulting2Finance wrote:
faro wrote:
Tech -> Silicon Valley
Plus, the weather.

It's one thing to have a "direct line" to Silicon Valley, it's another to be able to grab beers with people there every weekend.

I mean for sure Haas allows for better direct networking. Of course that goes both ways. Being in the Bay in recruiting in Silicon Valley you will be expected to network much more, less you fall behind.

My point is if someone wants to work in Silcon Valley, many East Coast schools may hurt those chances. MIT is not one of them though.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 00:05
Sloan is way above Haas.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 00:59
Wow, just a few hours and so many votes and great responses. Thank you! But the votes don't help :-p, pretty evenly split.

How about votes on the below dimensions, Haas vs Sloan (and WHY! - I think we've had plenty of time answering Why's with our essays ;) )...
---------
Haas > or < or = Sloan (and why)...

1) Long-Term Viability in the "Top 10" MBA programs list and runway potential to reach Top 3-5 (given all the top programs are innovating and incorporating each others' best practices -i.e., team learning, experiential learning, etc- and at least 3-5 non-US programs will likely displace current US programs from the Top 10 list in the next 5-10 years)

2) Student culture and experience

3) Recruiting in Technology

4) Recruiting outside of technology (Finance, CPG, Rotational programs, Consulting)...after all, the Tech bubble may burst!

5) Academic rigor (sure, everyone says the MBA is a joke academically...but some really want to learn!)

6) Reputation in Technology among Big Tech companies

7) Reputation in Technology among "blue-chip" early stage/startups

8) Reputation in the Bay Area

9) Alumni willingness to go out of the way to help current students

10) Friendships/Bonds in the alumni community
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 148

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 02:30
Unlikely that MIT provided you with some scholarship. They are known as most greedy among MBA programmes.

Decide where you wonna work and live west or east coast.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 06:40
I have visited both the schools. I would say other than the geographic location (weather and proximity to Silicon valley), Berkeley does not offer anything that MIT Sloan cannot better. Both schools to an extent play second fiddle to their neighboring institutions, HBS and GSB Stanford respectively. However, I would recommend Sloan because you can work in one of their labs at MIT as a research assistant and that would give you a good transition experience to joining the Tech industry. And there are tons of Sloan students starting up start-ups in partnership with Harvard and MIT students and then moving to the Valley.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 09:09
I am dating a MIT grad... he is in tech (of course)... and allow me to say this... MIT opens many doors... he is in the east coast and loves it here but constantly gets calls from west coast companies for recrutiting. What MIT has done for him is allow him to do his tech consulting by leveraging their network. Most of his clients are MIT grads or have been referred to him by MIT. The power of that network never ceases to amaze me.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 10:47
The bay area is absolutely gorgeous. However, I think Sloan has a stronger reputation.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: SMACKDOWN - FT MBA Class of 2014: MIT Sloan vs Berkeley Haas   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2012, 10:47