Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Small MBA programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Small MBA programs [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 06:15
I've been accepted to some top small MBA programs (under 100 students). I like the location and I'm pretty sure I'd be able to get a great job post MBA. The only things I really don't like about these small programs is the smaller network and to become a marketing tool for the schools.

Who else finds it ridiculous that these programs make you pay a lot of money to become a marketing tool for their programs? I've seen ridiculous blogs and videos about current students promoting their programs, yet they became jobless after the program... And I'm not talking about 3rd tier programs, I'm talking about the top 30 international rankings.

Do you have to become a marketing tool when you enrol in a small MBA program? What if you refuse to subject yourself to such a farcical exercise, will you get kicked out of the program? Will it affect your chances of finding a good job through career services?
Current Student
Schools: Jones '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Small MBA programs [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 06:57
I am not a current MBA student so I can't speak to your second question. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with promoting the school you are attending. That may be because I am in marketing! But if I am going to spend a large amount of money and spend two years attending a school, then I would feel invested enough in the school to help them out with marketing by writing student-related random blogs or appearing in videos.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: Small MBA programs [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 07:24
You don't have to participate if you don't want to. And, no, it won't cause you to get kicked out.

However, most MBA students realize the value of promoting their school because the better their school is, the higher the value of their degree.

Furthermore, media promotion experience is something that adds value to your personal profile (ie, your resume). It may also gain you networking opportunities.

MBA programs need their students to participate in these kinds of activities because prospective students want to know if they'll be a good fit at a particular school. They want to know who their fellow students will be, who will be teaching the courses, who will they be working on teams with, etc.

Wendy

Wendy Flynn
15 Years as Director of MBA Admissions - Now Working For the Applicants as the MBA Admissions Coach
Wendy Flynn is the MBA Admissions Coach, providing comprehensive MBA admissions consulting services. As the former Director of MBA Admissions for 15 years at a top-30 MBA pgoram, Wendy holds deep expertise in admissions issues for Full-Time, Executive and Professional (Part-Time) MBA Programs. Through her blog, MBA Expert Insights, she brings the view of the Director of MBA admissions to MBA applicants and others.

WendyLFlynn89@gmail.com
Web: http://MBAAdmissionsCoach.com
MBA Expert Insights Blog: http://www.mbaadmissionscoach.com/blog/
Facebook: http://Facebook.com/MBAAdmissionsCoach
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/WendyLFlynn
Member of the AIGAC, Association of International Graduate Admissions Counselors

Re: Small MBA programs   [#permalink] 01 May 2013, 07:24