Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 11:50
Guys,

I am into IT 8 yrs experience by the time I enter the program. I got accepted to smith. Which is better Smith or McDonough ?

As per my understanding McDonough is a new program compared to Smith am I correct?

Has anyone compared these 2 part time programs ?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools: GWSB

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 13:08
First off, I am not subscribing to point "which is better" in general. It's only "which is better" for you personally.
So here are a few thoughts on "what is different" about these two programs.

Just as you indicate in your own profile, Smith is heavy on attracting applicants with IT background. So if you want to stay with IT industry, a lot of your classmates will be from the same experience pool, which could be beneficial for your post-MBA networking. McDonough has a more diverse students pool from what I could see after visiting information sessions, open houses and doing class visits in both.

McDonough borrows a lot from its parent university reputation, which is probably the highest in DC area. Therefore probably better perception of the university association in our region. Same goes for alumni network.

All part-time programs of Smith are held on sattelite campuses. Hence, less access to faculty outside the class. Most likely more classes are taught by adjunct professors, and not by those who built reputation for full-time Smith MBA. Smith is spreading itself very (too?) thin with 3 part-time locations in the area, and none of them on main campus. McDonough just opened their spanky new business school building last year.

McDonough will cost you more, because they require more credits for graduation than Smith, have required international residence, and cost per credit is slightly higher.

I have a post in my blog, which touches on comparison of DC-based part-time program from slightly different prospective. Check them out to learn a bit more:
http://parttimembadegree.com/2010/02/14/gmat-test-2/

http://parttimembadegree.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 10:20
Hi ,

Thanks for your response. My case I am admitted to smith and waiting on georgetown. As per my understaning and the information i gathered from the information sessions

Smith : the program is matured and is leader in the MBA Programs in DC area.
McDonough : Is new in this field and is trying to catch up with Smith and as you said drawing reputation from the parent univeristy.

Smith: specializes in IT
McD : General Management

Smith: Has weekend mba too (saturday). Since I dont like commuting during weekday in the traffic this works out best for me.
McD: only evening mba(M,W /Tue,Thu)

Smith: App fee is $60
McD : App fee is $175

I am planning to stay in IT ,hence I feel I got the best in this area in my field.

what say ??
Intern
Intern

Re: Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 10:47
That's exactly what I meant, by saying it's only what is better for you. We all have different preferences, goals, inclinations. Last year I got admitted to Smith and GW part-time programs. It was not easy to choose, just like you feel it now, but ultimately I decided GW was a better fit for me. And you will choose what fits you best.

Manager
Manager

Re: Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 06:23
Quote:
And you will choose what fits you best.

yes no one can argue that. may be indirectly i am looking for someone to validate my decision and reassure that "YES you have taken the right decision". why i need the validation is i am spending lot of money and the stakes are high.
Intern
Intern

Re: Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 14:39
skpMatcha wrote:
McDonough : Is new in this field and is trying to catch up with Smith and as you said drawing reputation from the parent univeristy.

It's an old thread, but I thought it needs update in the light of the latest BW BSchools ranking.
McDonough has moved from Second Tier in 2008 to 33-d place in 2010, while Smith slid from 26 to 42. Even before this happened I felt that GT MBA is a better brand than Smith. Now it is confirmed by BW rankings too. Some other rankings have been placing GT higher even earlier than BW.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown) [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 07:48
gmatvit wrote:
skpMatcha wrote:

It's an old thread, but I thought it needs update in the light of the latest BW BSchools ranking.
McDonough has moved from Second Tier in 2008 to 33-d place in 2010, while Smith slid from 26 to 42. Even before this happened I felt that GT MBA is a better brand than Smith. Now it is confirmed by BW rankings too. Some other rankings have been placing GT higher even earlier than BW.

Updating it again. US News has UMD at 17th, Georgetown at 21st. Given that Maryland still has the most mature rep, I'd imagine that this is why they still are higher up than G-Town. In BusinessWeek, G-Town is 26th, UMD 54th, but Elon is ranked #1 for Part Time MBA, and most people probably don't think Elon is of the likes of a Booth or Kellogg.
Re: Smith(university of maryland) vs McDonough(Georgetown)   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2012, 07:48