Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Smithtown University s fund-raisers succeeded in getting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 16:25
E

the argument states that smithtown university's fundraisers didnt try hard enough because they didnt canvas new donors well enough.

I think C is a trap and is out of scope because it states that the fundraisers didnt even contact the new donors that gave all of the cash

I would pick E because it says that more than half of the money raised by fundraisers came from new donors. If the fund raisers tried harder then all of the money raised by them would have come from new donors. The old donors would have donated on their own as in option C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 17:13
IMO C
Argument: This success rate, exceptionally high for university fund-raisers, does not indicate that they were doing a good job
The context here is like this: fund raisers succeed in 8 out of 10 prospect donors whom they contact (who have never donated before), but the majority of donations, for exp 1000 people, are from those who have donated in the past
So, C states the point

Smithtown University’s fund-raisers succeeded in getting donations from 80 percent of the potential donors they contacted. This success rate, exceptionally high for university fund-raisers, does not indicate that they were doing a good job. On the contrary, since the people most likely to donate are those who have donated in the past, good fund-raisers constantly try less-likely prospects in an effort to expand the donor base. The high success rate shows insufficient canvassing effort.

Which of the following, if true, provides more support for the argument?

A. Smithtown University’s fund-raisers were successful in their contacts with potential donors who had never given before about as frequently as were fund-raisers for other universities in their contacts with such people ->out of scope
B. This year the average size of the donations to Smithtown University from new donors when the university’s fund-raisers had contacted was larger than the average size of donations from donors who had given to the university before -->no influence
C. This year most of the donations that came to Smithtown University from people who had previously donated to it were made without the university’s fund-raisers having made any contact with the donors -->the best
D. The majority of the donations that fund-raisers succeeded in getting for Smithtown University this year were from donors who had never given to the university before -->no influence. This is just a restating of the fact
E. More than half of the money raised by Smithtown University’s fund-raisers came from donors who had never previously donated to the university -->weaken
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 21:13
[aligntable=][/aligntable]

C

This could mean that all the donations came from unsolicited offers, and every single person they contacted declined (goes against insufficient harvesting efforts).

Booya

Hades

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 21:14
Evience which will show that new people have not contributed will support the argument

Thanks
rampuria

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 21:32
Hades wrote:

C

This could mean that all the donations came from unsolicited offers, and every single person they contacted declined (goes against insufficient harvesting efforts).

Booya

but we are concerned with the FUNDRAISERS success rate. In C the donations had nothing to do with the fundraisers
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 22:08
bigtreezl wrote:
Hades wrote:

C

Booya

but we are concerned with the FUNDRAISERS success rate. In C the donations had nothing to do with the fundraisers

Yes and the fundraisers success correlates directly to what proportion the fresh donors comprise of.

And keep in mind I negated C-- I took the opposite to see if it could weaken it. (Remember Strengthen & Weaken are very close).

Hades

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 23:04
whats the OA?
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 07:13
IMO C is the best choice..
reason same as that explained by Hades
Pls post the OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 09:22
The answer is C. - "This year most of the donations that came to Smithtown University from people who had previously donated to it were made without the university’s fund-raisers having made any contact with the donors."

The bold portion clearly conveys that fund-raisers did poor canvassing. A, B, D & E weaken the conclusion in the argument.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 31 May 2009, 22:48
OA plz
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 00:54
IMO C. What is the OA?
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 08:33
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 09:10
I thought A was out of scope, but felt that the answer couldnt have been C. Tough one
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 06:14
I pick C, not great and slightly out of scope. However, it's the only answer that actually provides support or (strengthens) the author's point of view.

A doesn't seem to have any relevant information to stengthen the argument.

(A) Smithtown University’s fund-raisers were successful in their contacts with potential donors who had never given before about as frequently as were fund-raisers for other universities in their contacts with such people. ~ basically, it's saying that the efforts to contact potential donors was about equal to that of other universities. Who cares if the effort is equal to another university/ What we would need to know to make this relevant is the actual effect of the other University so we have something to compare.

Maybe this is an experimental question?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 06:17
no, i really dont think its A

(A) it says that S Uni's fund-raisers were successful in their contacts with donars who had never given before while those potential doners were also in contact with fund-raisers for other universities. so isnt it clear that fund raisers for Smithtown were more successful than those for other universities in persuading potential donars to donate for them??????? that means fund-raisers for Smithtown did put their effort into the action.. and this would weaken the original assumption that fund-raisers for S failed to canvass.

(C) I think C is correct bcuz it says that most donations came from people who had previously donated..and fund-raisers didnt really get in touch with them this time...so means donars' actions were not from the fund-raisers...and this would support the assumption above.

live and love like you never hurt.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 07:51
IMO C

Please share the source of the question for authenticity.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 09:13
How in the hell is it A and not C? I'm grossly confused on this one.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 11:59
Is this an OG question? I am hard prressed to believe A is the answer. C seems to be the best choice.

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny - Elaine Maxwell

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

Re: CR - Smithtown (2 OAs, which one is correct?) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 12:31
Ian Stewart and tenamin,

Great explaination!

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny - Elaine Maxwell

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 11:39
IMO A

Explanation -
Question asks for the option which strengthen the conclusion that fund raisers were not good at work

B, C, D, E actually weakens it by saying that fund raisers did a good job. Read them carefully
So A is the only option left

Success is my Destiny

Re: Smithtown University’s fund-raisers   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2010, 11:39